Remanufactured Wheels?

n8bachelor

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
Has anyone tried this site:

http://www.autopartsfair.com/

They sell "remanufactured OE wheels". What exactly does that mean? Do they take an OEM wheel and copy it using their own factory?
I've heard refurbished and reconditioned but never remanufactured.

These are the wheels I'm looking at specifically. Crappy picture but they are Jag Tucana wheels. About 1/2 the price of used on ebay... and free shipping.

A quote from their site
General Info: This supplier is one of the largest suppliers of OEM and aftermarket wheels and rims in the US offers its inventory of remanufactured OE wheels, rims, hubcaps and wheel covers at 50% off dealer price. Our shelves are fully lined with over 30,000 different Wheels, rims, hubcaps, wheel covers and Euro lights for all makes and models, engineered to OEM specifications for perfect fit and quality that either matches or exceeds the quality of your original wheel. We're the largest wheel distributor in the country.

I called about wheels too but they didn't have any I was looking for even though, online, it listed them. Never bought anything from them though

I don't think those will fit. IIRC, the XJ uses a different bolt pattern than the LS/S-Type.

I was sure they fit.... just wondering about the quality of the wheel. Has anyone bought "remanufactured" wheels before? What does it mean?

I was sure they fit.... just wondering about the quality of the wheel. Has anyone bought "remanufactured" wheels before? What does it mean?

I would ask them directly. Are they used OEM wheels that have been refinished or new copies? If copies I assume they would be made in China and quality can vary.

I bought new Jaguar Senta knockoff's from USA Rim and have had no problems with them, however, it looks like they are currently out of stock on Jag and Lincoln options. Knock off's are typically heavier than oem due to less expensive materials used. You might want to check back since they have good prices.

No kidding!! I looked on thier website today and they have Vulcans for $111 a piece! You can buy 4 front 18x8's for $444 and be looking good!!

Last edited:
I bought re manufactured wheels when I owned a E320 Sport Mercedes. They were like new. I had extra special wheels because it was from a Sport model only. I bought them for $98 ea. when they were going for $250 per wheel new.

'Re-manufactured' is usually a fancy way of saying that the used --- has gone through a COMPLETE refurbishing.

KS

A remanufactured wheel can be as simple as a good washing or some companies buy used wheels and strip them and clean them. Then they repair any damage or dents and make sure the wheel is back to factory specs. Then they refinish them to factory specs or often better. Some do custom finishes and treatments whcih of course add $$.

So it depends on the company you are getting them from. A good remanufactured wheel can be better than new, or it can be a wobbly paint flaking dog.

Check the reputation of the company.

Usually good remans are cheaper than factory new, but the really good ones may not be far off or maybe even a bit more.

THis is from reading some article several years back in Car and Driver.

The custom car shops and hot rodders can probably point you to a reliable source.

Good Luck,

Jim Henderson

Members online

Back