Recroming your Headlights...A Different Way?

GMAN

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
I playing around with this set of housings I have. As far as I know nobody has tried spray on the chrome. It's generally been done with the chrome tape. I decided to experiment with the Duplicolor Chrome Spray Paint. I don't know what it will look like after I put it back together and test it out, but it looks pretty good.

100_3796.jpg

100_3797.jpg

100_3798.jpg

I used that Dupli-Color chrome paint on my grille - never really looked like chrome, just shiny silver, then after a month went dull and looked like crap.

Time will tell, I still have about two coats to go. The instructions that I am following, says to light dust it, then heavy coats with an hour in between coats. Hell, if I don't like the way it turns out, I still have the tape to go over it.

Yes the surfaces were prepped. I am actually looking forward to seeing how they turn out . Time will tell. If there hasn't been any reports of the chrome tape peeling because of the heat, the paint may work well also.

Back when I was younger, I used to build model planes and I'd use a product called "Alclad", which was a buffable metallic lacquer. It was used for painting model planes and cars when you wanted to duplicate the natural metal parts. They had all kinds of different finishes, like titanium, steel, aluminum, etc. They also had a chrome finish that was about as good as you could possibly get short of actually sending it in and having it vacuum plated. They discontinued the original formula (it was nasty stuff), but have introduced a new version called Alclad II. I've never used it, but it might be worth a try. It requires a gloss base coat and doesn't need buffing. No idea how it would hold up to heat.

http://www.alclad2.com/finishes/highshine.html

too bad you didnt ask before you did this greg, because i tried it about 7 years ago, and you just wasted a whole lot of time if you already glued the lenses back on. you will see as good as a set of junk yard housings, totally worthless. the paint is nowhere near chrome, just hold a piece of the tape to the painted surface and you will see its just like holding chrome to raw aluminum. the light wont reflect off that paint worth a :q:q:q:q, take it from someone who has done it.and what the :q:q:q:q in gods name did you do to those refractors holy :q:q:q:q!!!!!!!!!!!

The part that goes in and covers the low beam so that the bulb itself can't be seen. It helps to use the reflective source and actually get a beam out.

Anyway, run next door and spray those front wheels on the green truck. They need it. :D

i dont mean to bash you, but you would have bin better off taking aluminum foil and glueing it in there. :rolleyes:

i guess that the best thing to do would be to take it some where were then chrome plate things, and get it chromed.

I just mounted the lights back together. This is just an experiment. If it works, then great. If not, oh well. These lights are a dime a dozen down here. I've researched this technique, and found positive results on other vehicle forums.

yeah maybe on bigger headlights but it doesnt work good on those tiny turd headlights! put them in and try them, you'll see. i have tried everything with gen 1 lights except spending 350 dollars for real chrome plate.

Greg, this place could have your headlights like new since you have them apart. Show them the pics of what you have and ask what they'll charge. I have personally seen the outcome because a friend of mine had $12,000 invested in a Spectra Chrome booth and he could chrome anything. The company is based down around where Jamie lives.

http://www.manta.com/c/mtvjbst/paul-s-spectra-custom-chrome-llc

Greg, this place could have your headlights like new since you have them apart. Show them the pics of what you have and ask what they'll charge. I have personally seen the outcome because a friend of mine had $12,000 invested in a Spectra Chrome booth and he could chrome anything. The company is based down around where Jamie lives.

http://www.manta.com/c/mtvjbst/paul-s-spectra-custom-chrome-llc

when did i move to dallas texas numb nuts?

when did i move to dallas texas numb nuts?

I said the company dick lick. Spectra Chrome is based out of Florida somewhere around Clearwater and Tampa but I think it's in Clearwater. My friend had to go down there for a week of schooling to learn how to properly run the booth he bought but doesn't have anymore.

They just happen to have a shop in TEXAS that has a booth there.

Members online

No members online now.
Back