Rear shocks

Lownslowlsc

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
I read a while ago of a rear shock (Sensa-trac?) that was a good/better fit for lowered marks. This shock is not made specifically for the M8 or Thunderbird but supposedly has better valving/firmer. I regret not saving the link like I usually do.

I'm going to search for it again but wanted to see if anybody remembers.

You talking about Monroe Sensa-Trac's for the T-Bird? If so, I'm running those now in the front and rear.

Rears are Monroe 5965
Fronts are Monroe 71845 (I believe)
Strut Mounts are Monroe 901970
Rear mounts I bought stainless steel with poly bushings from Jay (98lincmk7lsc)

Hope that helps!

You talking about Monroe Sensa-Trac's for the T-Bird? If so, I'm running those now in the front and rear.

Rears are Monroe 5965
Fronts are Monroe 71845 (I believe)
Strut Mounts are Monroe 901970
Rear mounts I bought stainless steel with poly bushings from Jay (98lincmk7lsc)

Hope that helps!

I'm pretty sure it was a sensatrac shock but was not made specifically for the m8/tbird. A different application. Thanks for the above though.

I currently have the rear T-bird sensatracs but found that one of them leaked out a little while switching wheels. My plan is to now replace the shocks when I switch the springs.

Found it.

http://www.lincolnvscadillac.com/forum/showthread.php?94460-Gen-2-rear-shock-selection

Looks like it's for a 89-91 T-bird.

Something I found on .org.

With the lowered ride height on my Mark, the compressed length of a 5965
may not be enough. The specifications on the 5950 is completely identical
to the 5965 except for one aspect. The 5950 has a compressed length of 11.875"
as opposed to 14.5" on the 5965 but still maintains the 19.125" extended
length found on both models.

Currently, I actually have to drive over speedbumps at a crawl just
to avoid bottoming out the shocks. I would still like to be able to enjoy the
Mark whenever I have the need for some spirited driving.

I may have to post a report on the Sensatrac 5950's performance if I'm
going to be the first to use one on our Marks. It may benefit those who lower
their Marks lower than 1". Who knows? The 5950 may just benefit every Mark
owner since its specs seems to be slightly better than the 5965.

http://www.markviii.org/htdocs/dc/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=25&topic_id=33269

http://forums.tccoa.com/showthread.php?t=144184

That's really interesting, I may need to look into the 5950. I didn't lower my car, it was converted when I got it so I have no clue what springs are in there. I just know speed bumps are brutal on my car, and I'm new on all four sides. It just feels really hard as I advance over the big speed bumps.

Any clue what he used up front?

Went ahead and bought a pair, a little $34 experiment. Still 2 of the $17/pc left on ebay, there are plenty in the $20-25 shipped range. Rockauto w/ discount will set you back $40~ shipped, Advance is $46~ shipped with code wd514 ($20off $50+) if you prefer a B&M.

I'll be installing them separately from the springs so that I can compare them to the 5965's.

Brad, I've had the 5950's on the car for about 43 months now and they're still performing as expected. The old shock absorbers were so worn out that they did not have any damping factor left. I replaced them in favor of the Sensatrac 5950. The 5950 are perfect for lowered Mark VIII's because they have a much shorter compression length.

Internal valving is still the same with other Sensatrac shocks. Features great ride quality on smooth surfaces until it encounters rough roads then it will stiffen up for better handling.

image.jpg

Looking at the photo below, Comparing my old factory shocks, on the left, and the new 5950's on the right; You can see that the 5950's compress another 4". At the same time keeps its extended length similar to the factory shock absorbers. That's a good thing because the 5950's still allow our rear suspension to move at its full articulation.

So if you plan to lower your mark another 3" or keep it at factory ride height, you know you will not bottom out the new shocks. Funny thing is, I was told 3 years ago the 5950's were discontinued. If you can, stock up on these puppies as they are a perfect replacement and are being sold at a great price before they're all gone!

image.jpg

J, Here are some old photos I dug up. I have the Sensatrac springs up front.
image.jpg

I modified them to work with my lowered Mark.
image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Brad, I've had the 5950's on the car for about 43 months now and they're still performing as expected. The old shock absorbers were so worn out that they did not have any damping factor left. I replaced them in favor of the Sensatrac 5950. The 5950 are perfect for lowered Mark VIII's because they have a much shorter compression length.

Internal valving is still the same with other Sensatrac shocks. Features great ride quality on smooth surfaces until it encounters rough roads then it will stiffen up for better handling.

Thank you for stopping in and for the detailed post. I'm just surprised that they haven't gotten more attention from the lowered crowd, seems like a very affordable/better option for us vs the 5965.

I look forward to seeing how they perform. :)

Just stuck Konis on the back of mine. Have not really tested them but real nice so far.

Just put them in and so far I'm pleased. A drastic improvement over the one good/one bad setup :rolleyes:. It's too early to tell how they'll handle going over some of the same bumps that gave the 5965 problems (When they were both new). But doing the bounce test they stiffened up quickly with little give. A brief test drive also made me realize how sloppy the old 5965's had gotten.

If anyone of you guys are interested there's still 2 of the 17/pc ones left on ebay. The boxes were a little beat up but they are def new and came with all hardware.

My Konis are very nice. I think about the middle of the hard/soft range will be just right.

Now the anti lock deal gets replaced. That will probably not be fun.

What are you running up front with the 5950 in the back?

T-bird sensacraps. Bought them years ago as a wholesale closeouts at RA, to cheap to pass up. They were to replace whatever came stock on the lowered kit, pretty sure it was gas-matics. I thought they were going to be an improvement over the budget line monroes, boy was I wrong. Turned into an equally shtty ride with zero control. If you want to see front end float i'm your guy. It's not horrible for everyday driving but when you hit a decent dip and NEED them to actually work they won't.

That said, I will no longer mess with any of the standard replacement front struts on this setup. Tokicos will be next.

Really wish I could go back 6 years so that I could've done the lowered conversion right the first time. That AAS kit was pure f'n junk. After I replace the rear springs this weekend the only part that'll exist from it are the front springs. Everything took a sht in less then 25k.

/rant

That's what I have up front too and I don't like them. If I'm taking a corner quick, I can feel it in the front end. That "float" feeling, like you said.

The car was spring converted when I got it. The shock a were all shot out. I got rear shock mounts from Jay and put 5965 in the back and then put the Sensa-Trac up front too.

That's what I have up front too and I don't like them. If I'm taking a corner quick, I can feel it in the front end. That "float" feeling, like you said.

The car was spring converted when I got it. The shock a were all shot out. I got rear shock mounts from Jay and put 5965 in the back and then put the Sensa-Trac up front too.

You should probably have less trouble with them at standard height, but they'll generally give that feeling. We're really limited as to what we can upgrade to, tokicos are just about the only decent option nowadays.

After some miles the 5950s are doing great. The rear is a lot more planted and staying in control over the larger dips that used to really test the 65's. I'm happy, now it's just a game to see how long they maintain this ride.

Just an FYI for Koni rear shocks.
Ordered stainless mount kit from Jay & decided to spend a butt load of $$$'s for the Koni rear shocks for my 97 Blk/Blk LSC.
Trying to stay with air ride as long as possible, but for those looking for Koni, I found these was with the help of Jay; THANKS !!!!
Listed under 99-2004 Mustang Cobra w/IRS; KON 8041 1270Sport.
Running about $132 each.... still cheaper than OEM

Ordered stainless mount kit from Jay & decided to spend a butt load of $$$'s for the Koni rear shocks for my 97 Blk/Blk LSC.
Trying to stay with air ride as long as possible, but for those looking for Koni, I found these was with the help of Jay; THANKS !!!!

Link please

You will need to drill out the mount rubbers, the Konis are a bit thicker in the rod. No problem to do it, you need the 31/64" bit. I actually found one at the parts store, I was gonna use a 1/2". ;)

After some miles the 5950s are doing great. The rear is a lot more planted and staying in control over the larger dips that used to really test the 65's. I'm happy, now it's just a game to see how long they maintain this ride.

Correction on this comment. One 5950 was seized up which resulted in the firm ride. lol. I was sent another one and I don't really notice that much of a difference between them and the 5965.

Sorry to bump an old thread.

So, I just got some Tokico front springs from 93mkviii. I'll be going to these 1.25" lowered soon (once I get some rears).

Did you ever figure what to run up front or were the Monroe 71845 still the "best" choice for a reasonable priced front shock? I'm debating buying the 5950 or trying to get some Tokico blues front and rear.

Sorry to bump an old thread.

So, I just got some Tokico front springs from 93mkviii. I'll be going to these 1.25" lowered soon (once I get some rears).

Did you ever figure what to run up front or were the Monroe 71845 still the "best" choice for a reasonable priced front shock? I'm debating buying the 5950 or trying to get some Tokico blues front and rear.

Hey man, I was the one driving 93mkviii car (he is my brother). Sorry it was just a 5 second meet up and we really didn't get to talk or see each other's cars. I had to catch my flight and barely made it lol. Your car looked sweet and the lsc treatment really does these cars right.

I just noticed you have the LMS exhaust, would have loved to hear that. Next time I will try to be there earlier.

Hey man, I was the one driving 93mkviii car (he is my brother). Sorry it was just a 5 second meet up and we really didn't get to talk or see each other's cars. I had to catch my flight and barely made it lol. Your car looked sweet and the lsc treatment really does these cars right.

I just noticed you have the LMS exhaust, would have loved to hear that. Next time I will try to be there earlier.

No worries, I completely understood the catching the flight situation lol. Thank you and you definitely need to hear it next time! I have KOOKs on there now as well :)

By the way, did your brother have LEDs for the light bar? When you drove away it caught my eye and I wanted to know more lol.

Members online

Back