Rear brakes...

dj_jace

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
Ok so my rear brakes start making a slight grinding noise so decided to get some pads and change them... I have done brakes before but not on the LS... normally I would just take off the old, then use the C clamp with one of the pads on the piston to push it back in, then put the new pads on after cleaning everything and put it back together... Well I got everything off on the LS, pads were bad, went to use the C clamp to push the piston back in and no go.. I took off the brake fluid cap under the hood and still couldn't get the piston to go all the way in... I got it in a little bit but no where close to all the way... and getting it in just the little bit I did took tons of force... even bent the piece at the end of the C clamp... I tried getting some leverage using a vise-grip and got it to turn a bit more... Got irritated of course so I put the old brakes back in and put it all back together temporarily... started the car and pumped the brakes... took it for a drive up my road and now it's worse than before... when I come to a stop even if i'm not hitting the brake it feels like the back tire is locking up... Good times...

Am I going to have to get a caliper tool? Is my caliper bad? Thoughts...

* On a side note I did search before posting but sometimes it is good to rant along with asking a question... :) *

I got it in a little bit but no where close to all the way... and getting it in just the little bit I did took tons of force...

Also just noticed after re-reading after I posted how this sounds... LOL...

You have to screw the piston back into the caliper while applying force. You also have to rotate it to the correct position when you finish getting it all the way in. Covered many times on here.
http://deneau.info/ls/s6x~us~en~file=s6x64006.htm~gen~ref.htm
You can get the tool you need from Harbor Freight or Amazon or else where.
https://www.google.ca/search?as_q=L...mages&tbs=&as_filetype=&as_rights=&gws_rd=ssl

Awesome... Thanks... Guess I will be making a trip to Harbor Freight in the morning... good times...

Sometimes pounding on them with a big rock will help.:confused::D:rolleyes::cool::eek:

KS

Seriously considered that too.... lol

Well I went and rented the caliper tool from autozone today and got both sides changed... The passenger side still feels like it's to tight... It was still a little harder to get on than the drivers side was... Put it all back together and when i put it in drive or reverse and just let go of the brake the car barely moves... it almost feels like the parking brake is slightly pulled up... took it for a quick drive around the neighborhoood and it stops ok but just letting off the gas it starts to slow down (more than just coasting)... I guess once the rotors and stuff cool down I can take it apart again and try it over again... Do I need to adjust the parking brake at all?

Did you pull apart the slide pins and re-grease them and verify that they go all the way in and out smoothly?
Do you make sure that the pin on the pad went into the notch on the caliper piston? New spring clips positioned correctly?

And did you make sure that in your trying to force the piston back in you didn't damage the caliper?

And did you make sure that in your trying to force the piston back in you didn't damage the caliper?
This is what im worried about... once I got the tool it went in smoothly... so I dunno... going to take it back apart after 5 when I get done working and check it again...

Members online

Back