Rattle noise from rear end when hitting bumps

mpottman

LVC Member
Reaction score
I just purchased a 1998 Mark VIII with 68K miles and have noticed that when going over bumps, I hear an annoying rattle-type sound coming from the rear end. It sounded like something was just loose in spare tire compartment (but that's not it). Would replacing the rear shocks and mounts be the best place to start (they look like they may be the original ones).

That is what the problem is no doubt in my mind... and here is how you fix it better than stock for less $'s.

Remove rear shock mounts
Cut/Burn out factory rubber
Mount new shocks made for a 96 Thunderbird using the supplied Rubber Bushings in place of crappy broken Mark VIII mounts
Done

yup bout a $35 dollar job. just look inside your rear wheel wells at the top of the shock and see if the rubber bushing on the top of the shock is cracked, most likely it is going to be. if it is, buy some monroe sensatracs for above said t-bird and be done, unless you want factory mark VIII shocks on it from ford for around $400 and some change for a pair lol, monroe's sound alot better now dont they!!!

The new mounts from ford are only 30.20 each plus shipping. The new shicks from for (complete with mounts) are 159.20 each or $318.40 plus shipping of about 20.00 to PA.....almost 400.00

Goto your local auto Pep Boys, order up Monroe Sensatrac's part #5965 for a 1997 Thinderbird and your set, shocks and rubber bushings included, total cost $28.99 each, grand total $57.98.

Do the stock shock bushing mod and your done.

Members online

No members online now.
Back