radiator cooling fan not working can anyone help

superchargemymark8

New LVC Member
Reaction score
my electric fan is not working i changed the coolant temp sensor still not working tested the fan with straight power it works has any one had this problem before

Just turn the AC to max, as turbo mentioned. It will come on, if not they are both probably right about VRCM. Is the fan on a separate fuse also?

the car is a 93 it has two black boxes behind grill and also a second tempeture sensor and yes it is on its own fuse

pull the sensor plug thats up near the crossover tube,the left one.

with engine running and that unplugged,the fan will run on its highest speed,if the vcrm is working that is (ps,on super high,the fan is incredibly powerful)

pull the sensor plug thats up near the crossover tube,the left one.

with engine running and that unplugged,the fan will run on its highest speed,if the vcrm is working that is (ps,on super high,the fan is incredibly powerful)

I've got a fan that's not coming on & pulling this sensor works, it kicks on in high. So why wouldn't the fan be coming on at temperature?

dude it is your vcrm, if you change that and it still dont work, then it is your pcm, ultimate svt had this problem and he changed out his vcrm 3 times and it wasnt it, pcm fixed it, i had this problem, still have the problem , but it is the vcrm, if you have a 96, you nneed a vcrm from a 96, just sayin

dude it is your vcrm, if you change that and it still dont work, then it is your pcm, ultimate svt had this problem and he changed out his vcrm 3 times and it wasnt it, pcm fixed it, i had this problem, still have the problem , but it is the vcrm, if you have a 96, you nneed a vcrm from a 96, just sayin

I thought so too, but according to Moes8's post above

"pull the sensor plug thats up near the crossover tube,the left one.with engine running and that unplugged,the fan will run on its highest speed,if the vcrm is working that is (ps,on super high,the fan is incredibly powerful)"

On this 95 that i'm working on, the fan kicked on when I unplugged that sensor. So i'm assuming that the VCRM works. We were swapping the oil filter adapter gasket & my brother tried to test the fan by turning on the AC while we were bleeding the cooling system.
It didn't turn on, but the AC is empty & doesn't work. From what I understand, the fan won't turn on unless the AC compressor turns on. Anyhow, once we got all of the air out, no more hot.
But the car does stay right at the halfway mark, which seems odd since I just put a 180 thermostat in it. I never noticed the fan turn on but it never rose above the halfway mark either.

Recently started having the same issue. The car runs cool during highway speeds but when idling it begins to heat up. Came home when the needle was on O and the fan wasn't on. Where is the sensor plug near the crossover tube? The only plugs I see are for spark plug pack. I located the VCRM but I can't fine the sensor plug. Can anyone let me know what it looks like?

The sensor is IN the crossover tube...

Also before you guys start throwing parts at your cars you need to do proper diagnosis..

If it's an electrical part such as the fan..check for VOLTAGE, run a jumper direct to fan to see if fan works, then check for voltage at the plug

The plugs get bent down too much over years and then don't make proper contact, this can be easily corrected with a dental pick and just prying the pin in the plug back out (this same problem will also show at the plug for the blower fan)

The simplest check is to check for the fuse in the fuse box under hood. Not sure what number it is again but it is 40 AMP. When my fan went because it siezed the fuse was blown and I was ready to jump the gun and put in a new VCRM when Gman reminded me about the basic fuse situation.

You know you fan is good so check the fuse for the VCRM and if it is bad change it and you go. What happened to the fan? Did it cause a huge current draw?

I already checked all the fuses and none of them are blown. I"m getting my AC done and since I know the VCRM controls both the ac clutch and the fan I'll know if the VCRM is the issue. I'm also gonna ask them to check the fan if it is getting voltage and does it spin when it gets voltage. Nothing happened, I just realized one day when I stay at idle car overheats(At a red light) and when I got home and opened the hood and fan isn't on when the needle for temp is between N and O.

I already checked all the fuses and none of them are blown. I"m getting my AC done and since I know the VCRM controls both the ac clutch and the fan I'll know if the VCRM is the issue. I'm also gonna ask them to check the fan if it is getting voltage and does it spin when it gets voltage. Nothing happened, I just realized one day when I stay at idle car overheats(At a red light) and when I got home and opened the hood and fan isn't on when the needle for temp is between N and O.

The VCRM is not the issue, because I was having the same issues back in 05 when I had the car. I seem to recall that I was having a problem with the fan connector plug not making a good connection with the fan. I fixed it by squeezing the female part of the connector of the fan for a tight fit. It is either the connector again or the fan.

The VCRM is not the issue, because I was having the same issues back in 05 when I had the car. I seem to recall that I was having a problem with the fan connector plug not making a good connection with the fan. I fixed it by squeezing the female part of the connector of the fan for a tight fit. It is either the connector again or the fan.

If privious owner had the same problem.. I'm betting it wasn't FIXED the first time.. So bend those metal tabs inside the female connector out with a dental pick, they should have a slight bend in them about half way, this helps make a secure connection..

If you can't get the plug to make a secure connection, just snip it off, remove about 3/16" of the insulation and crimp on the proper size female spades

If you can't get the plug to make a secure connection, just snip it off, remove about 3/16" of the insulation and crimp on the proper size female spades

i ran mine that way for awhile when i was getting a new vrcm.

you said you are getting your ac done? if you are having ac problems, that might be your fan problem too, the fan, the ac, vcrm are all tied together and when one thing goes wrong it seems to set off a chain reaction of problems. check to see if your fan works first by putting 12 volts straight to the fan, if it does work, i'd go after the vcrm next, been there and fixed way too many marks with the problem.

Members online

No members online now.
Back