quick question between the 5R55N and 5R55S

Talbotway

Sexy Hotrod Lincoln
Reaction score
Guy's, I bought a 2004 LS8 and had noticed that I had some firm shifts in 1st and 2nd. The dealership where I bought it gave me an invoice that showed some work which made me feel better at the time of purchase but after some reading I'm a little more concerned. I looked at the invoice closer today (after responding to another thread) and I noticed that the invoice showed the solenoid pack was replaced for a 5R55N transsmission, but I thought that in 2003 Lincoln had updated to the 5R55S. The part number or description called the Solenoid block TS46420,,,I don;t know if that is a part number or not.

So now I wonder a couple things,,
1) did the shop make a mistake and install the wrong Solenoid pack?
2) are the 5R55N and 5R55S parts interchangeable (or at least the solenoid pack)
3) did my car have a rebuilt transsmission put in and they installed the older style?
4) did they just maybe write down the wrong part number on the invoice?

I guess I'm asking you guy's with the tech. knowledge if chances are I'm worrying a little to much over this.
My trans doesn't "bang" in and out,, it really sorta feels like my old 350 Nova with a shift kit. Park and reverse are fairly smooth and seem rather normal.

Thanks for the time and help.

Last edited:
2nd Gen has 5R55S; 1st Gen has 5R55N. They're not interchangeable; at the very least, the electronics are different, and at least some of the internals are, as well. It's possible that some of the internal parts are interchangeable, but I would expect that the transmission would not work at all if they installed the wrong solenoid pack (assuming they're not interchangeable).

Edit: The dealership replaced both the valve body and solenoid pack on my '06; if I remember tonight, I'll see if I can find the service receipts and the part numbers they listed.

Well I finally got the trans shop that did the work answer the phone. Randy the tech that worked on the car said only that the car came in with a Solenoid code and they replaced the pack. When asked about the description on the bill showing a 5R55N transmission pack he said they are the same!! So now I really don't trust these guys. I am starting to think that they just wrote the wrong part description, SoonerLS, Thanks for the help.

I just went to the site I bought my solenoid pack from. They list it different parts for the n or s transmissions (in the drop down menu)

http://www.800700tran.com/prod.itml/icOid/159

I don't know if it's possible to install the wrong part though. Sometimes there's a plug/sensor/something that doesn't match up.

I'm with Josh---the very fact that the car drives would mean that you got the right parts.

KS

Thank you to everyone. I do feel better about this. Now I can worry about the LSE kit and lighting.

Love this site!!!

All the solenoid packs are interchangeable. But you want to use the newest ones being offered by the Ford. They are built with the newest updates.

Members online

No members online now.
Back