[question] Suspension must be on the GROUND POSITION when you tighten the nut !!!!!

beatcpl

LVC Member
Reaction score
I'm going to replace front end(LCA, strut rod bushing and tie rod). I recently read in the factory manual that the suspension must be on the ground when you tighten the nut or bolt . I'm not sure how to do this. I thought , just set jack and stand underneath a car and loosen the bolts on the Suspension parts, pry out the bushing from the socket it sits it, grease with lithium grease and torque it back in place. is it wouldn't be GROUND LEVEL if jack on the underneath a car? Do I have to put the tires back and have to turn on air suspension. Then, tighten the suspension bolts ?.. it is impossible to do it - I remember front air suspension will collapses after removed the Air strut. Sure, I turn the air suspension switch on, The front end will raise

So, I'm not sure about is tighten the these bolts and nuts in the ground Level . How have other people done this?

round level.JPG

round level.JPG

Yeah. Just put it all back together then torque bolts. Pretty easy. Use long extension, maybe a swivel. The bushing has a rest position which is ride height. If you torque it down out of spec, at rest position the bushing will be twisted badly. It will actually harm ride quality.

Before tightening I like to bounce the front end a bit to settle the suspension - which is actually step 14.

Basically follow the directions. The bolts are not impossible to reach with tires on and on the ground. But you can carefully (very carefully) jack the car at the knees/knuckle. Not my first choice....

Thanks for your input Unity

Here is I found at internet.. it is interesting.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/automotive/2039574-tightening-lower-control-arms.html

But, I'll follow your instruction but, I don't have enough tools . So, I'm thinking, I'll torque bolts as a lower torque requested by manual then will put them all back on the ground position then will torque bolts in the middle of amount that requested by manual if I can reach them.
For example , it torque requests between 30-40, I'll set for 35. Am i doing right?

Thanks

No, you can not torque them at all. The bushing will bite. Follow directions and get the correct tools. Anything else is risking damage to the bushings.

Members online

No members online now.
Back