[Question] Replace it or keep it - old suspension parts???

beatcpl

LVC Member
Reaction score
Do I have to replace suspension parts by age or If the parts still look good, better keep it? For example, inner/outer tie rod, strut bushing and stabilizer link while I'm replacing a lower arm. Car mileage is 61,000

Thanks,

Suspension parts can and do rot when cars sit, miles aren't the only thing that destroys them. If they aren't dry rotted, don't squeak or creak, and the ride feels solid, and your *TRUSTED* alignment guy doesn't have a problem getting an alignment on it then I would leave it alone for now.

On the other hand if you're replacing one lower control arm and they both look about the same and you have no idea on the age of them I would just replace the other one too. You're going to have to get an alignment no matter what and on this car especially I replace suspension components in pairs. You could replace the strut rod to LCA bushings at this time since they have to come out to remove the LCA anyway and it's only $15 for both sides' bushings. If the strut rod to K-frame bushing doesn't look dry rotted or like it's shrunk and pulling away from the frame then leave it unless you're ambitious (it's not a fun job and some of the parts you need are obsolete and hard to find).

Thanks for you input soduka,

Actually i bought the inner / outer tie rods, Strut rod bushing. When I dissembled the suspension part, They ain't bad. So, following your advice, I'll keep old part of inner / outer tie rods, Strut rod bushing since they are decent shape without any noise
Thanks again

Suspension parts can and do rot when cars sit, miles aren't the only thing that destroys them. If they aren't dry rotted, don't squeak or creak, and the ride feels solid, and your *TRUSTED* alignment guy doesn't have a problem getting an alignment on it then I would leave it alone for now.

On the other hand if you're replacing one lower control arm and they both look about the same and you have no idea on the age of them I would just replace the other one too. You're going to have to get an alignment no matter what and on this car especially I replace suspension components in pairs. You could replace the strut rod to LCA bushings at this time since they have to come out to remove the LCA anyway and it's only $15 for both sides' bushings. If the strut rod to K-frame bushing doesn't look dry rotted or like it's shrunk and pulling away from the frame then leave it unless you're ambitious (it's not a fun job and some of the parts you need are obsolete and hard to find).

Nailed it.

Members online

No members online now.
Back