Question regarding Muffler delete

seekonkholen1

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
I have been searching and haven't found an answer to this yet. The stock muffler has an offset inlet/outlet. How have you guys handled the muffler delete? I want to still have the pipes coming out of the rear, and install a set of tips. I am assuming I will not be able to just use straight pipes and will need to bend the pipe. Am I right in thinking this? I have a Gen2 if that makes a difference.

Thanks In advance

Pop your head under there and check it out. Its fairly easy to figure out on your own.

And this neat little feature up top called the "Search" button. I've seen it work before ;)

Pop your head under there and check it out. Its fairly easy to figure out on your own.

And this neat little feature up top called the "Search" button. I've seen it work before ;)

Haha, you're killing me...lol I searched like an animal before posting the question. I have seen the razzing people get for not searching.

I have been under there looking and I am conflicted as to wheter I can just run the pipe on a slight angle, or if I will need to give it a bend.

BTW your car is looking pretty slick!

Take it to a shop, they will bend some pipes. There for like 40 bucks, including welds for pipes and tips

Take it to a shop, they will bend some pipes. There for like 40 bucks, including welds for pipes and tips

Thanks for the reply. I think I am going to go take your advice and go to an exhaust shop. I just found a place close to where I work, so that will be pretty convenient.

the inlet and the outlet do not line up just right, to have this properly, the pipe should have a couple of slight bends in it.

Haha, you're killing me...lol I searched like an animal before posting the question. I have seen the razzing people get for not searching.

I have been under there looking and I am conflicted as to wheter I can just run the pipe on a slight angle, or if I will need to give it a bend.

BTW your car is looking pretty slick!

No problem :cool: Thanks for the compliment on my ride.

Like Alax recommended an exhaust shop will do it for usually an inexpensive charge. I'd also recommend adding some Aero resonators and having an x-pipe installed. That'll help keep the sound a little less obnoxious and "even"

I've also thought about having my mufflers deleted and just doing a dual-in dual-out single muffler right after the resonators. Haven't heard this in person and videos don't do justice.

dual in-out should sound much meaner vs dual mufflers.

Exactly what I want. My LS has a really sexy start-up sound and idling tone. But as far as WOT its not even noticeable over the engine noise and intake.

Borla or Magnaflow for the dual-in dual-out? I feel Borla would keep it a little bit less "harsh" than the Magnaflow sound as far as only have one muffler.

really??

My exhuast note is easily heard at WOT but its loudest in 2nd to 3rd gear and after that it levels off. I think alax mentioned that the bassanis keep getting louder.

Guess I will give an answer, if you remove the rear mufflers and use a straight piece of pipe they will be at an angle to line up with the opening in the bumper, can be done but again will not come straight through the hole, will be at an angle so will look off. So best bet is to get pipes bent and installed.

I've also thought about having my mufflers deleted and just doing a dual-in dual-out single muffler right after the resonators.

i would be worried that you wouldn't have enough room, right after the res's is where it splits off to go around the dif and out to the mufflers, i've heard one that had a dual in/out in place of the resonators, which sounded awesome, but then you have to worry about ground clearance. if your lowered, then its probably gonna scrape. usually the farther up stream the mufflers are, the better it sounds(with out getting too extreme of course).

That was my main concern too. The x-pipe used up all the spare room before the resonators. And after the resonators I don't believe much room is left. Maybe I could swap out for some shorter resonators? I don't want an outrageously loud exhaust either

i wonder what it would sound like with the resonators where the stock muffles are?

you can use a dual in/out in place of the resonator. I originally had one and it was too big and my car is lowered so it would hit. That was a magnaflow 5" thick body dual in/out and I think 18" long that had a built in x-pipe, this one,

http://www.magnaflow.com/02product/shopexd.asp?zone=main&id=9060
12468.jpg

So I then got a smaller one which was on Tommy's car (NYCLS8) which was a 4" thick body and I think 11 " shell and fits perfect, does not have the built in x though so I also added a x-pipe, I dont see the one I have on magnaflows web site anymore, I thought it was 4" by 8" body the one I have but I do see this one in 4" X 9" with a built in x-pipe,

http://www.magnaflow.com/02product/shopexd.asp?zone=main&id=9018
11379.jpg

Dont mind the prices listed, they can be found for less and are available as polished stainless or regular stainless.

I dont see any other dual in/out mufflers small enough in Walker Dynomax or Borla??

i wonder what it would sound like with the resonators where the stock muffles are?

I like this idea, I wish I had access to a good welder/plasma cutter to do some testing.

Nick thanks for the first hand information. I do plan on lowering it so the 4x9 option sounds like a good plan. I already have an x-pipe so thats not to big of an issue. I'd just like to have resonators in there somewhere to quiet it down.

Do you have any sound clips of your set up? So you basically had 1 muffler (dual in/out) all the way back to the tips (from the cats of course) ?

I like this idea, I wish I had access to a good welder/plasma cutter to do some testing.

Nick thanks for the first hand information. I do plan on lowering it so the 4x9 option sounds like a good plan. I already have an x-pipe so thats not to big of an issue. I'd just like to have resonators in there somewhere to quiet it down.

Do you have any sound clips of your set up? So you basically had 1 muffler (dual in/out) all the way back to the tips (from the cats of course) ?

Hey talk about thread jacking.... see if I had sucsessfully searched and found my info, you wouldn't have had this conversation about your car :p LOL

I think you need to thank me!! ROFLMAO

Haha what can I say, I'm moving in on FASTLLS reputation. So whats up with your car what set up are you going with?

I am going over to the custom shop this afternoon to get a couple of estimates. I want to get one for just the muffler delete, and one for 2.5" pipe from the cats all the way back. Eliminating the mufflers and resonators and installing the Edlebrock SDThttp://store.edelbrock.com/edelbrocksdtmufflerwithsingleoffsetinletsingleoffsetoutlet22design-2.aspx then coming out of the back with dual tips.

I am liking the idea of the resonators being deleted as well, and the Edlebrock is only 3 5/8", so if I take a bit out of the ride height I won't have any issues with bottoming out.

I did have just the center muffler and no rear mufflers at one time, I loved it, was pretty loud but the cops did not like it so I now have the center muffler and 2 magnaflow bullet type mufflers in the rear which is pretty good, not too quiet and not too loud. I dont have any good sound clips of the way it is now, when I use my old asssss camera it does not sound very good. On you tube I have a few clips of the exhaust in different set ups, also Tommy has some of my car on his you tube. I need to get a better clip of my car now so I can post it. The guys that came to the car show in Long Island heard my car, they seemed to like it.

Search my you tube; NickT88LSC
and Tommy's; NYCLSC

Members online

Back