Question about alternator whine

jdsimons

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
Hello again all,
Well i've had my setup installed for over a year now and i cannot get rid of the dang whining sound through the speakers. I went out and purchased a bunch of audio control units to hook up, 2 EQT's, Matrix line driver, and a ESP 3 for sound quality. Got the top of the line stinger cables, and still problems. I tried to find a thread about what other people have done but nothing useful really kept showing threads non related. Any help or idea would be appreciated thanks guys.

This is usually a ground loop issue. Here is a brief explanation of groud loop problems. There is a link below for "The Big Three". If you follow the steps in "The Big Three" this will probably go away. It is also cheap and easy!

Alternator Whine in Car Audio
Car Audio Noise AKA Ground Loops

Ground loops are insidious. Typically ground loops are created by a pieces of equipment having muliple connections being introduced into the system and being grounded at points of unequal resistance . Alternator whine is induced into the system because of this. Here are some suggestions for eliminating ground loops.

Follow The Big Three
then:

Insure a good Head Unit ground. (To Chassis, not to wiring harness) then:

Insure a good Amp ground. (To Chassis or battery not to harness)

You may also want to look at this site.

Or if you don't feel like routing all those wires. especially if your battery is in the trunk, theres a part at pep boys to get rid of that noise.

I have "heard" bad reports regarding sound quality when using a ground loop isolator. (I assume this is the Pep Boys part mentioned.)

NOTE: I haven't heard/tested/experienced this myself.

Members online

No members online now.
Back