Quad Exhaust? - (Opinions Please)

CaddyMaster

LVC Member
Reaction score
Alright, I am wanting to mod my CTS, just a little bit.

The first item I was considering (although now I am thinking rader/laser detector :p was a dual exhaust for my '03.

I asked the dealer and he said "Yeah, its stainless and dual and has Quad Exhaust tips, just like on the DeVille and the other big cars." All of this for $2,200. I thought that was kind of high.

Other mods:
Radar detector (built in)
Nav System (Bose head)
Heater Seats (Nice and comfy)
Spoiler
Mud Guards .
Oh yeah, and Embroidered floor mats.

Thanks in advance.

CaddyMaster said:
Alright, I am wanting to mod my CTS, just a little bit.

The first item I was considering (although now I am thinking rader/laser detector :p was a dual exhaust for my '03.

I asked the dealer and he said "Yeah, its stainless and dual and has Quad Exhaust tips, just like on the DeVille and the other big cars." All of this for $2,200. I thought that was kind of high.

Other mods:
Radar detector (built in)
Nav System (Bose head)
Heater Seats (Nice and comfy)
Spoiler
Mud Guards .
Oh yeah, and Embroidered floor mats.

Thanks in advance.

that's a lot for an exhaust.......but just to let you know Bose does not make any headunits, many people don't know this. They only make the speakers in the car and the amp. The headunits are made by other OEM companies........although the Bose name may be on it you can call Bose, or Chevy and they should tell you the same thing Bose dosen't make headunits. The nav systems are cool as hell though, how much did the unit cost you?

I'd piece together a nice setup using a custom muffler shop. They can do it for less than 1/2 what the dealer is charging you. What bums me out is nowadays every car they are building, whehter it is a grand am or a minivan they are putting dual mufflers on. I'm sure almost all are 1 in to 2 design but the manufacturers are trying to make every car look like a race car. What does a 4-banger need dual exhaust for.

Last edited:
Posted by MonsterMark

What does a 4-banger need dual exhaust for.
By the same reasoning why do you need a 400ci engine in a car? The answer is you don't, but if you can, then why not? :)

Regards

Dereck

Last edited by a moderator:
LoL. Derek, what I was saying was ( and by the way, I edited my quote so it was actually in English, LOL) that in a 4 cylinder car, 98% of them don't need dual pipes to handle the amount of exhaust gases being expelled. Therefore it is more show than go, which I would put in the same category as ricer. That's what I was saying. Cars are becoming more rice every day, which is not a good trend for us purists.

Hey, if the guy wants to spend a grand or more on something that's TOTALLY for looks, and most likely won't last as long as the "original" system......... :rolleyes:

Dereck said:
By the same reasoning why do you need a 400ci engine in a car? The answer is you don't, but if you can, then why not? :)

Regards

Dereck

i need one.

You can get a dual cheaper but you will spend a bit more than you might think to have it "oem quality". Many times aftermarket exhaust if custom and even if not sometimes say a borla for example may need some massaging i.e. rubber hangers, minor adjustments. This is simply due to minor manufacturing differences in the car and exhaust systems. With a custom you want to ask if it's a mandrel bent exhaust (smooth bends not wrinkled) also you want stainless and there are different grades of stainless. Mostly mentioned on mufflers as only certin grades polish up really well though the same goes for the pipes. Also you want to make sure they do a good job and you don't end up saving $100 but having a creaky rattling set of pipes. You want to be able to go back to them for a free adjustment if they made an error or it just needs a tweak for example. I knew to check on the grade of stainless, but didn't think to about the mandrel and could have gotton one for nearly the same cost. If buying like a borla type ready made system make sure though they normally are if it is mandrel bent as well.

Exaust

I put aftermarket exaust on my 2002 STS and sounds great and cant forget the looks of it.. i pieced it together so it would fit the pre fitted tips and now looks like ferrari tips, and sounds much like an exotic and not ricerish.. although It took me awhile to decide if i wanted this done only because its an expensive car.. but its def. worth it.. as far as HP gain.. I bearly noticed a difference just that its breathing better but for price i only paid $350 for it and had one of florida's best welder do it.. well atleast i think he is the best pipe welder.. If you want pictures ill post them later..

Members online

Back