:q:q:q:qing ball joint

MrWilson

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
i still cant get that damn nut on the lower ball joint, iv tried everything...and i cant get some high powered impact gun on it, cuz i cant drive it anywhere...wtf do i do?

Adding heat always works...when in doubt driving it off a cliff does the job...Or pushing in your case...

Dawkins said:
Adding heat always works...when in doubt driving it off a cliff does the job...Or pushing in your case...

thanks a$$hole

DO NOT apply heat to a NEW ball joint. You'll do nothing but smoke the nylon cup that the ball rides on, and just make you need to replace it one more time.

This is how I do a lower ball joint (ifit's acting like yours), Put the entire assy together EXCEPT for the lower nut. and then once the airbag is inflated (not necessary), a place block, or a proper sized jack stand under the lower control arm and let the weight of the car down on it. This will lock the taper of the joint in to the spindle, and allow you to get the nut locked down properly.

http://www.lincolnvscadillac.com/tech/lincoln-mark-viii/ball-joints/

This should give you some pointers.

Mike

i realy appriciate it mike, but iv already tried that.

Dern Humpus said:
Get a new nut, the threads are probably crudded up, or use a tap and retap the nut.

i havent tried that. ill try that one tomorrow. the threads look good though, but its worth a shot.

i think i already said this, but i took my lower controll arm out, and cleaned the threads with a wire wheel on a bench grinder. this will work, unless you have the nut stuck in the rusty threads already.

he must have.....In the 10-12 lower control arms I've done....i have never had this problem. Hope you get it worked out Andy.

mike

If I sell my Monte Carlo, will all my MarkVIII problems go away?

Can you split the nut, then a thread file or die to clean up the stud...

Brozly said:
Can you split the nut, then a thread file or die to clean up the stud...

exactly what i had to do. i used a grinder very carefully. i suggest using a dremel. i pulled the whole lower controll arm out, cleaned the threads with a bench grinder, stuck the joint in a vise, then zapped a nut on and off with lube and an impact gun a few times to straighten the threads.

invisiblelincoln said:
yeah, i sold my monte carlo, and then i went over to tell mrwilson, BAM, the ball joint came right out
Cool...thanks for the tip.

Members online

Back