Put the Mark on the dyno today...

MediumD

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
The car's a 93 Mark VIII, with a 100% stock motor (only mods that may have had a tiny effect on power are removed air silencers and muffler delete.)

The guys running the dyno stopped the pulls at 5250rpm. My tach needle reads high by 500rpm, which I forgot to tell them about. So although my torque curve was dropping by that RPM, Next time I'll have them spin it to 6250 or so. And they didn't turn the auto headlights off, so I couldn't get video, and there's like a quarter HP right there :p

The first pull (blue on the graph,) they couldn't get a good tach signal. So it ended up being worthless, but at least it's kinda funny to look at.

The second pull (green on the graph,) was the only good pull of the day. 241ft.lbs at 4600rpm, and it made 224hp at 5300rpm when the pull was stopped.

The third pull (red on the graph,) the motor was pretty damn heatsoaked by that time (their fan wasn't doing so well.) And it decided to run really rich (10.x AFR through most of the pull.)

So overall a fun day, and I was impressed with the torque. Being that these motors generally make peak power closer to 56-5800, and usually make very similar HP and torque numbers... I'd venture a guess that it would probably pull 235-240rwhp - but we'll probably never know because next time I dyno it's not gonna be stock.

Dyno1.jpg

Dyno2.jpg

Last edited:
Pay no attention to the blue or red lines. The green one was the only legit pull of the day.

The blue line is the same run in the top and bottom pictures - the pull where the tach signal wasn't playing nice. Apparently it didn't bother graphing the entire pull.

I'd guess the loops are the torque converter unlocking, not sure on that one.

Yea that sheet is more :q:q:q:qed up than the one from my nav one time. It started out at 350hp at 1500 rpm and dropped the rest of the way through the spectrum. I guess we all get dyno geniuses from time to time:rolleyes:

nice
and I have seen the loops on dynos before but I cant remember why it happens

I had my first mark dynoed and got a loop, mine was from the rev limiter, I think? Its was a few years and a few cars back.

Not bad!

I'd love to throw mine on a dyno sometime... no money lol... it's all money!

Yeah, this was an event put on by my local forum (racingsouthwest.com) where you get 3 pulls for $40 ($30 if you prepay like I did.) Which isn't too bad IMO.

The local shop charges $75 for 3 pulls... but if you rent it for half or a whole
day it is much much cheaper. I am really just waiting until I get a Wide Band and maybe an EGT so that I can do some actual tuning and not just look at pretty pictures.

Members online

No members online now.
Back