Powder Coating anyone??

Bildabo

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
Just curious if anyone on here is into powder coating. When I get home I'll throw up some pics (I know how you all are!) but I was just wondering if anyone else was into the hobby / addiction.

IMG_20110218_152307%20%283%29.jpg

Pic is from my phone. This is my Banshee frame, actual reason why I got into this. (please no comment on how bad the LS looks....Its been washed several times since)

Bil---
If that's Westland, MI---I need to talk to you! I'm in Livonia. Phone? (734 306 6362)

Ken Sheffer

LOL, I'll pass on your hole but stuff looks good!

What type of gun are you using? I saw a charge button hanging in one of the pics and it looks like the Eastwood gun. I just bought my 3rd setup on Sunday, the Hobby style guns just weren't cutting it for me anymore so I bought a Hyper Smooth 3, looking forward to trying it out this weekend. I have a set of 20x9.5 Steeda wheels to do.

I started last winter with a old oven I bought off of CL and a harbor frieght setup....I'm on my 3rd gun and had to build an oven. My new oven is 6'x3'x3' and seems to be working out pretty good.

Wow....sorry for the delayed response.

It really wasn't too difficult, just time consuming. I framed it out using 22ga steel drywall studs. Made my walls, top, bottom and door like that to start. I have a friend who has a heating and cooling business so he helped me with all the sheet metal. I used thermal fiber for insulation and the heating elements are from the el-cheapo oven I bought off of craigslist. I borrowed a temp controller and starter relay (that what I could find) to drive the heating elements. Put it all together with rivets...lots and lots of rivets.

Worked out pretty well. The outside is cool to the touch until its been running for about 6 hours then there are a couple hot spots but nothing bad.

I'm not worried about the box or the insulation... I'm worried about the heating elements/electrical side...

I want to build an oven big enough to do a motorcycle frame, car k frames and 4 wheels at once.

my oven is 6'x4'x4' I could do 4 wheels at once but usually just do 2 at a time. I don't normally put anything longer than 5' in there just because I don't want them too close to the heating elements. My elements are mounted on the bottom of the oven. Some people choose to mount them on the side.

Some good info can be found here. This is where I got most of my ideas

http://www.powdercoatingforum.net/forumdisplay.php?13-OVENS-AND-BOOTHS

and like you can see, I had no problem with my banshee frame, nor do I have an issue with most motorcycle frames.

Members online

No members online now.
Back