post Jmod problem

dnsherrill

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
just finished the jmod with 1-2 and 2-3 piston upgrade to new style, removed the 1-2 lower and 2-3 springs; drilled out all the holes with the right size bits, except the reverse hole (#10) on the diagram; I left it alone
also added a Hayden cooler and bypassed the oem cooler; also added a deep sump pan
when I removed the valve body a small shiny ferrule dropped to the ground, I dunno where it fell out of, it's probably about 2-3 mm i.d. and about 4-5 mm long; also there were a total of 9 balls in my valve body, but there's only 8 rounded corners where the balls go, I put 8 back in. I haven't found any references to 9 balls. The little filter that sits at 45 deg is present
11 quarts came out; I put about 9.5 qts Mercon V back in, and tried to test drive but R would not engage; I put in another 2.5 qts in and took it for a test drive; the fluid level looked low so I added another qt and now it might be a little high;
It's slow to engage R, it has to go to about 1700-2000 rpms before it engages, then if i drive in R it shutters; it engages D at about 1200 rpms, which is a little late...the filter is in the valve body, as is the little magent that sits in the hole. All the other gears drive fine...no concerns
what's going on and what do i need to do?
the two extra parts left over extra jmod parts 94.jpg

extra jmod parts 94.jpg

looked through my phone and thankfully I took a pic of the odd 9th check ball, unfortunately I did not put it back before reinstalling the valve body, the second pic is with the 8 balls typically discussed in the 'how to' articles and videos. Could this 9th ball be causing my problem with delayed reverse engagement and shudders?check ball #9.jpg
check balls 8 VB cleaned.jpg

check ball #9.jpg

check balls 8 VB cleaned.jpg

no idea where the sleeve came from....maybe one of the holes in the separator plate....it fell to the ground when I took the last bolt out/ removed the VB from the trans case...I also noticed that I probably put the small pac-man/reinforcing plate in an incorrect orientation

The extra check ball is odd. Did you install all new ones? Its possible if its small enough it was pushed through from some other place. I had one wedged in the separator plate, oddly it worked fine. Point being they wear out and shrink then can move around. Always replace with new.

The sleeve looks almost like a locating dowel. I've searched tons of JMOD pics and can not locate such a dowel though.

replacing check balls

The extra check ball is odd. Did you install all new ones? Its possible if its small enough it was pushed through from some other place. I had one wedged in the separator plate, oddly it worked fine. Point being they wear out and shrink then can move around. Always replace with new.

The sleeve looks almost like a locating dowel. I've searched tons of JMOD pics and can not locate such a dowel though.
I just reused the ones that came out, minus the 9th oddball.
The car has 91k miles, I got it at 89, but I'm not the first to drop the pan: there was no dipstick stopper plug in the pan.
---
last night I dropped the pan and found this: my 1-2 accumulator snap ring was unseated, and I had put the piston cover in wrong, I put in as pictured
1-2 cap damaged 1.jpg
-----
how I put it in
1-2 piston 2.jpg
-----
how it should have been installed
1-2 piston 1.jpg

1-2 cap damaged 1.jpg

1-2 piston 1.jpg

1-2 piston 2.jpg

if I decide to reinstall the lower spring in my 94 (or my 98) because they're slamming too hard, will all these work about the same? or are some stiffer? the violet one in my 94 was broken when I removed it
1-2 lower springs.jpg

1-2 lower springs.jpg

is this small pac man plate on wrong? after looking at the TCCoA write up I think pac man's mouth (the cut out) should be pointing toward the green arrow
pac man 1.jpg

pac man 1.jpg

It's back to driving normal now; engages R and D from idle;
I put the 9th ball back where it was, by the pressure booster valve; I left the small reinforcing plate like in the picture, no idea where the sleeve came from, I used a #48 bit to enlarge the reverse hole in the plate...it's unlikely the ball or the larger hole made any difference
----
it looks the main, possibly only, problem before was the 1-2 piston and cover. I upgraded to the new style and left the lower spring out. I didn't push it up all the way into the bore (so it probably wasn't moving) I also had the cover upside down.
---
this time reinstalling it I used a big socket and hammer to drive it up into the bore so it sprung up down as it should. Then put the cover in right and seated it correctly with the snap ring. No more issues!

Members online

No members online now.
Back