Post Coolant Overhaul Running Temps

nghtshd88

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
Been about 200miles and replaced everything except heater hoses. I hit 215 max until fan kicks in then down to 210-212 lowest. Outside temps around 50.

I was at almost 230 before with 1 small crack.

Been about 200miles and replaced everything except heater hoses. I hit 215 max until fan kicks in then down to 210-212 lowest. Outside temps around 50.

I was at almost 230 before with 1 small crack.

Gen 1? V8?

Mine seems to stay right around 212 no matter what season. Momentary spikes in winter are under 220, but in summer they're a little higher... still under 230 though, and it recovers quickly. Some knowledgeable people here will say that's overheating. However, the car does not appear to try to take significant action until 230-235. I have replaced everything but the radiator, water pump, and the upper/lower hoses but the system passes a pressure test. Hoses don't feel soft, but perhaps the water pump is a little tired and the radiator isn't getting enough air (with the other coolers in front being rock pelted and mangled fins). Turning AC on in summer helps the car cool down since the fan speed goes up. At this stage of the game, I'm afraid to break open the other systems like trans cooler, etc.

My analysis of the control algorithm for the fan implies the computer is fine with the engine running anywhere up to 220. Cooling request gradually increases until "Panic mode" hits at 239. The needle does not move up from horizontal until ~235. Findings from a Gen I v8.

02, after replacing all parts it runs 207 to 209. If I'm running it hard it'll hit 211. This is summer or winter. I monitor it since the rebuild with a ScanGauge II.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Knowing my "sweetheart" for a number of years now... she doesn't complain, (fan coming on),,, unless putting through a parking lot at temps above 75 degrees F. Other than that she's quiet. Temp gauge showing 3 half lines above the needle... and resting on the top full wavy line of the temp gauge iocon. If I hear noises... or see less/ more on the gauge,,, I know she's runing hotter than should be.

That's likely too hot if you hear the fan come on in those conditions without AC on. Use an obd scanner and get a real number. Mine was $18 plus and the torque app is free. There are cheaper ones but they can be hit or miss for functionality. I use an old phone dedicated to displaying parameters I wish to keep an eye on. Coolant temp is a must in the LS lol

Thanks for the advice. Maybe I should have said 80 degrees or more. I was being conservative. After dealing with coolant leaks over the years of ownership,,, I can tell when my LS is running hot... and when the fan should/shouldn't be running.

For a couple of days (till I could swap compressors), the AC was out on our 04. Temperatures were mild (80s), but I was still surprised at how low of a speed the fan was running. It was too low to hear it. I actually opened the hood and looked closely at it to see if it was running at all (first thought that might be why the AC was out).

After doing the full coolant overhaul today and running my 06 for about an hour with three bleed cycles, scanner shows consistent 208-210 with 80 degree weather here in Texas.

For a couple of days (till I could swap compressors), the AC was out on our 04. Temperatures were mild (80s), but I was still surprised at how low of a speed the fan was running. It was too low to hear it. I actually opened the hood and looked closely at it to see if it was running at all (first thought that might be why the AC was out).

Yeah... that fan is quiet if you aren't listening for it,,, or aren't a-tune with unusual noises from the vehicle a person owns. After doing a 65 mile drive, (130 mile round trip commute),,, and then pulling in the garage at home during the summer months... a person may miss the fan winding down. Hearing it in cooler months is DEFINITELY a warning sign that something is amiss with the cooiling system.

The needle does not move up from horizontal until ~235. Findings from a Gen I v8.
Needle movement is slightly noticeable when the LS is starting to run on the "warm" side of normal. There are audible differences also noticeable in the operation of the cooling fan. Some of these conditions are notibly appearant if one is "in-tune" with their vehicle.

Members online

Back