Possibility/Just Thinking: 1998-2002 Lincoln Continental Facebook Page

Lincoln Continental

1. Svets96

Svets96 Dedicated LVC Member

I had a thought today about doing a page dedicated to this model called 1998-2002 Lincoln Continental Owners Group It would be a community of owners like ourselves on LVC to engage an even bigger audience possibly. We would talk about meet and greets, information and help on those who would like to restore their Continental. Other things to help one another out, and anyone else that would like to add content and such.

I don't know I was just thinking. Would you join?

What are your thoughts on this? What would you like to see and do as an owner of a Continental?

Thanks everyone!

2. FlaOkie

FlaOkie Active LVC Member

I don't do facebook.
    However that certainly doesn't mean its not a good idea.
    This is the only place I have found that has at least a couple of knowledgeable and active posters interested in the FWD Continentals.

3. Svets96

I don't do Facebook either, however if its car related I'll use my screen name for the page.

I had the thought of expanding the knowledge and brotherhood of the Continental brand.

Just had thoughts how we all can engage together for exclusivity, or something. If you have any thoughts and ideas along with anyone else please lets discuss. There is no bad idea from anyone.

4. FlaOkie

Svets—

I’m afraid I don’t have much in the way of any real ideas.
    But I do have a few thoughts for what they are worth---

It would be nice if there were more that were interested in the FWD Continentals.
    By interested, I mean more that popping in on a board, asking one question, like why doesn’t my Continental start when I turn the key? - then never to be seen or heard from again.
    To me its obvious their Continental is just an old car they are trying to keep on the road.
    They indicate no real interest in the car’s unique designs, quirks, performance, or features.

I don’t mind helping folks like that, but I just don’t think there are enough of us that are interested in these cars enough to want to know what others have done, or are doing to their cars to keep them in top shape.
    When I bought my ’02 I looked all over the internet for a place that had discussions on subjects related to my car.
    Of all the Lincoln forums, your posts here were the only ones I found of any interest or substance related to a FWD Continental.
    That’s why I landed here.

The entire Continental “brand “ is another story.
    As you know, there are already many forums, with knowledgeable experts, that address the older more collectable early generations.
    But from what I’ve seen, the 9th generation FWD Continentals have very little following as a car of interest.

If there is something that can be done to dig up more FWD Continental owners to discuss their cars that would be good.
    However, I may be wrong, but I don’t know if there are many more out there.
    Ed---

5. Svets96

FlaOkie I hear where you are coming from.

I remember there was a Facebook page called "The last V8 1998-2002 Lincoln Continental Facebook Page". I tried to search for it and came up with no results. Maybe he and others were having the same problems as you state.

I believe there is not enough of these cars out there, and many who own them, along with getting a word out. Plus if there is even interest. But that's the thing the point, getting something established. The Continental is a "niche" type of vehicle currently with the generation we bought.

I don't know I like to think outside the box when it boils down to things. Just looking at different perspectives I guess. This doesn't have to happen, just an idea.

I do try to keep our section on LVC alive as much as I can. There are so many Youtube videos about our model it's crazy. So I guess Youtube can be our Facebook Page.

6. FlaOkie

The production numbers I found for 1998 to 2002:
    Town Car – 390,000
    Continental – 120,000
    So it stands to reason there would be a larger selection of used Town Cars.
    Not so much for the Continentals.

The conventional rear wheel drive, is easier to work on, and parts are most likely more available both new and used, making the TC a better choice for back yard mechanics.
    To me, the FWD Continentals are a much more interesting car, with a nicer combination of luxury, looks, ride, and performance.
    Since mine has a record of dealer servicing, and relatively low miles, I don’t ever intend to do much “wrenching” on it.
    I’m getting too old for that.
    But I do want to know as much as I can absorb about the car.