portable GPS in the LS

mayo12080

LVC Member
Reaction score
wondering if anyone has done portable / removeable GPS systems in their LS's. any recomendations? im persoanlly looking for something to put in the LS just concerned about so few affordable models not looking right in the car

mayo

By now if we don't have it in our cars then we have it on our phones, and if not then I guess that is when portable comes in

avic z2 is the head unit that I have.. GPS.. Me likie, it has a built in HD so I can rip music right to the HD so cd's are a thing of the past for me!

my pioneer avic d3 nav is worthless compared to my $100 garmin (family member works for garmin). Best money I ever spent. Ive logged 10k miles in 2 years (i rarely get out) it has has not let me down yet.

I mount the Garmin on the windshield, plug it in to the cigarette lighter and go.

I got a record player..can't beat the vinyl!

That's true for some Raves.

Hey Pete, have you been to that club in Seattle called, "The Last Supper Club"? I go to Seattle for work at times and a couple guys and I flew in with tried to go there downtown but the line seemed to be an 1/8 of a mile long. :rolleyes:

TomTom XXL540, 5in screen, love it, I put it on the windshield. If you use it in Kalafornia or Wisconsin you can't it mounted to windshield, have to use a dash mat or find another location.

If you use it in Kalafornia or Wisconsin you can't it mounted to windshield, have to use a dash mat or find another location.

Minnesota too, apparently.

Wow, I've been breaking the law and didn't even know it!

If you use it in Kalafornia or Wisconsin you can't it mounted to windshield, have to use a dash mat or find another location.

Mount in on the left side of the windshield and you'll be good. Cops wont bother you. Bad side is the passenger cant help with inputing information... but a real man does all the navigating anyway!

Those portables look real bad in the windshield. If I had to go with one, I'd stick it in the ash tray and make it look more stock, but i'm good with my stock nav so far

Hey Alax how often do you find yourself using the stock nav. Since getting an iPhone with GPS inside google maps, I have completely phased out using the stock Nav... mine is still the 2004 map disc and quite frankly it sucks IMO. lol

Those portables look real bad in the windshield. If I had to go with one, I'd stick it in the ash tray and make it look more stock, but i'm good with my stock nav so far

There's a few members that have done that, and made threads about it with pictures. Looks pretty clean,if I wanted one that's how I'd do it.

They are easier to see in your line of sight on the windshield than looking down to a ashtray in heavy traffic even though they have voice command. I like that I have to just shift my eyes from the road to the display.

Get an in dash unit. A lot of people get them and stick them in the windshield which to me is a bad idea. Even if you take it down when you go somewhere, but with the bracket still sticking in the windshield, you just telling everybody you got something to steal. I'm not a fan of anything plugged up or dangling in my car. An invitation for thieves.

i have a Tom Tom that my wife bought for me on Christmas. i really like it, hasn't failed me yet. i mounted it on the top left corner of my windshield, right where that black tint is located. i then ran the wire down that pillar and then tapped the wiring so that i do not have to plug it into the cigarette lighter. as long as i have it plugged, it charges and i have the cigarette lighter free to charge my phone. no wires, no mess, and it's a great gadget. now if i could just figure out that damn voice activated thing i would like it even more. i shall read the manual, lol.

We are aware, it is just now a good place to discuss our current NAV setups.

i have a Tom Tom that my wife bought for me on Christmas. i really like it, hasn't failed me yet. i mounted it on the top left corner of my windshield, right where that black tint is located. i then ran the wire down that pillar and then tapped the wiring so that i do not have to plug it into the cigarette lighter. as long as i have it plugged, it charges and i have the cigarette lighter free to charge my phone. no wires, no mess, and it's a great gadget. now if i could just figure out that damn voice activated thing i would like it even more. i shall read the manual, lol.

You have to use the computer voice, there are two, a man's "Dave" and a woman's "Susan".

this thread is almost 6 years old guys lets get with reading dates before replying

Lol, i can honestly tell you i did not know it was an old post because i saw so many current replies to it i didn't bother to look at the date, but that is funny. i always crack up at resurrection threads.

We are aware, it is just now a good place to discuss our current NAV setups.

yeah...what he said :rolleyes:

You have to use the computer voice, there are two, a man's "Dave" and a woman's "Susan".

so once i change the voice i can use the voice command feature? nice! i have a sexy voice girl telling me where to go currently ;)

Get an in dash unit. A lot of people get them and stick them in the windshield which to me is a bad idea. Even if you take it down when you go somewhere, but with the bracket still sticking in the windshield, you just telling everybody you got something to steal. I'm not a fan of anything plugged up or dangling in my car. An invitation for thieves.

The new TomTom have the bracket built in and is easier to remove the whole unit, and you can hard wire just like a radar detector. The aftermarket in dash is just as vulnerable to theft if someone wants it. It is easy to move to other vehicles when needed or use walking, cycling, and motorcycling.

Members online

No members online now.
Back