Pleae Help underdrive crank pully alternator not charging

cinz4064

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
i recently installed a underdrive crank pully in my mark viii now the alternator isn't charging at an idle that pully is still stock do i need a bigger or smaller pully for the alternator
also if i change the idle whats the max rpm i can set it to without messing anything up

you can get a three piece pulley kit with bigger pullies for the alternator and the water pump to help compensate for the size difference in the crank pulley

The bigger pullies for the alternator and water pump slow those accessories down even further. If the OP wants to speed his alternator up, he/she needs a smaller alternator pulley.

Then doesn't that defeat the idea of the under drive crank pulley?

Last edited:
the kit came with a set of 3 pulleys and the alternator pulley is the same size as the one on my alternator do you know where i can find a smaller pulley for my alternator

whats the stock alternator pulley size?

2-3/8" diameter

Caveat - if you use the 1-7/8" diameter pulley and hit the rev limiter often, you will stand a chance of over-revving the alternator. I know I did a couple times. :(

had motorsport ud pulleys on my Mustang you could tell the HP gain but driving around town even with 373's I had to put it on the battery charger after a night of cruising. did ok on hiway trips.

Members online

No members online now.
Back