pics from weekend of CAI setup on 03+

02V8Sport

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
I made a custom adapter out of 3" tubing which I expanded one side of the tube to 3 1/2" with a muffler pipe expander and then expanded further to 3 3/4" at the edge to make it fit into the stock air intake tube coming from the engine. I then milled out a slot in the middle 3 1/2" section for the MAF sensor. Last I just hooked up the 3" intake tubing running up from my front bumper mounted K&N cone filter to the end of the adapter I made. Though some of you would enjoy ideas on how to make a true CAI on the 03+'s

DSCF0176.JPG

DSCF0177.JPG

DSCF0178.JPG

DSCF0179.JPG

DSCF0184.JPG

DSCF0188.JPG

DSCF0189.JPG

DSCF0191.JPG

Not bad at all. Any power gain? Are you planning on installing some kind of heat shield as well for the tubing?

Thanks!! The power gain is very noticable. I had this same setup on my 02 but it was much easier to do there since the MAF wasnt integrated into the airbox like the 03+. I ran tests with my SCT software on my laptop and adding a heat shield to the tubing wouldnt justify the work. The air intake temp sensor is seeing the air at the same temperature as the actual outside temperature, with this setup the air doesnt have time to heat up in the short distance it is in the engine compartment. This whole setup I have now cost around $50 of parts and my time. Well worth it.

02V8Sport said:
Thanks!! The power gain is very noticable. I had this same setup on my 02 but it was much easier to do there since the MAF wasnt integrated into the airbox like the 03+. I ran tests with my SCT software on my laptop and adding a heat shield to the tubing wouldnt justify the work. The air intake temp sensor is seeing the air at the same temperature as the actual outside temperature, with this setup the air doesnt have time to heat up in the short distance it is in the engine compartment. This whole setup I have now cost around $50 of parts and my time. Well worth it.

Not a bad price for a few horsepower. Have you tried running this setup in the summer at all to check if it makes a difference with the heatshield then?

KD00LS said:
Not a bad price for a few horsepower. Have you tried running this setup in the summer at all to check if it makes a difference with the heatshield then?

I did on the 02, didnt have the 04 out in the summer yet. On the 02 the air temp sensor was reading 5-10 degrees higher even on a 90+ degree day w/o a heat shield. The stock air box was pulling close to 40 degrees higer on a hot day. Big difference. On a 20 degree day in Chicago, this setup is VERY noticable. Wish the LS could run like that all year long.

With the sprint springs do you have problem dragging the exhaust or whatever over speed bumps with about three or four people in your car? do you have any pics of the filter and mounting location? I like the mod btw.

gt95coupe said:
With the sprint springs do you have problem dragging the exhaust or whatever over speed bumps with about three or four people in your car? do you have any pics of the filter and mounting location? I like the mod btw.

Thanks! I can drag the exhaust with just myself in the car. It looks nice but you have to be very careful of any driveways and bumps that you pull into. I dont have a pic of the filter on the 04 (I was on 3 hours of sleep from the night before so I forgot to take one) but in my Photo Garage I have the same exact setup on my black 02 with a picture of that setup of the filter in the front bumper.

i-DSCF0153a.JPG

01lssport said:
What do you do when it rains?

I clean and re-oil the filter every month. The spray on oil repels the water from getting in, I never had a problem even in downpours, but then again Im sure the rain storms in Chicago are not as bad as other parts of the country.

My recommendation for people with concerns like this would be to mount the filter in front of the driver wheel, behind the fog light area, there is plenty of room there as well and its much more enclosed from the elements.

01lssport said:
I've been waiting to do this with aluminum tubing that I have left over from my intake.

cool! cant wait to see it, you will definitely love the HP and throttle response with this setup.

Members online

Back