Pics for new DIY guys

I haven't been on in a while what caused you to have to pull the upper end of the engine apart in the 1st place; is this just another in a long line of opportunities I am to encounter with my new Lincoln?

I love to drive the car when everything is right but mine has been in the shop 9 times in 5,200 miles (yes from new).

Keep the faith , good photos by the way!

Doctorj

lsbit said:
I didn't create a repair page yet and have not finished taking pictures, but I thought some of you would like to know what your engine looks like with some if it's clothes off.

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/dperuski/ls/vcover.htm

Thank you. I haven't had time to complete the page yet, but will post when I do. My car is a 2000 model and I smelled oil every once in awhile. I assumed it was the VC gaskets and bought a set to replace. After looking at the plug seals, they were the old "gray" style, so they were probably original. I also had an intermittent miss, so I figured this was part of the problem. After replacing that and the plugs last weekend, it has not missed and I have much more power. I will have to check for oil this weekend to make sure I didn't fudge the job or anything. :)

I haven't even been able to wash the car yet!! The weather and time is not syncing for me. I did clean the black pillars to get rid of some discoloration.

If you have a newer LS, you probably won't have the problem I had. It seems to be a common problem on the 2000's and they changed the seal design.

doctorj said:
I haven't been on in a while what caused you to have to pull the upper end of the engine apart in the 1st place; is this just another in a long line of opportunities I am to encounter with my new Lincoln?

I love to drive the car when everything is right but mine has been in the shop 9 times in 5,200 miles (yes from new).

Keep the faith , good photos by the way!

Doctorj

Great Pics, how did you get the coil covers off on the driver side? I couldnt get to the bottom 2 corner bolts on mine and had to get a mechanic change the plugs on that side.

lsbit said:
Thank you. I haven't had time to complete the page yet, but will post when I do. My car is a 2000 model and I smelled oil every once in awhile. I assumed it was the VC gaskets and bought a set to replace. After looking at the plug seals, they were the old "gray" style, so they were probably original. I also had an intermittent miss, so I figured this was part of the problem. After replacing that and the plugs last weekend, it has not missed and I have much more power. I will have to check for oil this weekend to make sure I didn't fudge the job or anything. :)

I haven't even been able to wash the car yet!! The weather and time is not syncing for me. I did clean the black pillars to get rid of some discoloration.

If you have a newer LS, you probably won't have the problem I had. It seems to be a common problem on the 2000's and they changed the seal design.

MDLSV8 said:
Great Pics, how did you get the coil covers off on the driver side? I couldnt get to the bottom 2 corner bolts on mine and had to get a mechanic change the plugs on that side.

7mm box end wrench baby! I used that on the one closest to the brake booster. It was tight, but it worked. On the other one, I used a 1/4" drive ratchet with the 7mm socket. I may have used the tiny extension I have on that one also. I used the little extension on about all the the valve cover bolts too, as the socket wasn't deep enough to clear the covers themselves.

The spark plugs weren't bad to get to either. That one cover bolt was the toughest part of the job.

Members online

No members online now.
Back