Perplexing chimes while driving fast...

alexfranke

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
Hi all -- just picked up a '03 LS V8 and after about ten minutes on the highway on the way back home we started hearing the chime go of repeatedly. It's the same chime/duration you hear when switching between MPG/miles left -- shorter than the chime when fuel is low.

It repeated sets of 11 chimes (usually) sometimes every couple of minutes and sometimes with 45 or so minutes inbetween, and only when going over 70MPH or so. There were never any warning lights or indicators, engine temp was okay, fuel okay. Seat belts on, doors/trunk/gas closed. Cycled through the status indicators, and everything was okay.

Most frequently sets of 11 chimes, but sometimes (far less frequently) in sets of 9, 7, and once even 5 (in order of decreasing frequency). Always seems to be an odd number... very curious. :confused:

Any ideas? I'm starting to worry about this...

Cheers,
-Alex
:Beer

IM guessing there is an electrical issue - some kind of overload thats only affecting the chime due to the high rpm's???? Its barely a guess..

Good news is that as its an 03 it should still under warranty - Call a dealer - any dealer should work.

Sorry I cant help you more.

I started getting a chimme shortly after I got my 04 LS. The first time was just getting of the highway. I had no idea what it was at first. The second time I just got of the Highway and this time I saw a message on the dash saying "Lamb Out". It would do this intermittently for a few days but at the time I could not find and light that was not working. I went back to the dealer and they told me that unless it was doing it at the time they could not do anything. Pricks.

I ended up finding that the harness where the back passenger side Lamb plugs in was lose. It pluged it in propeerly and have not had a problem since.

Update -- response from automotiveforumns.com

Update: I had the same post on automotiveforums and got the following response from CGGorman with LLSOC -- looks like he hit the nail on the head. :D Indeed it chimes in reverse as well (different sounding chime, though, and no warning lights), and it has been parked for quite a while. Thank God it's not *supposed* to chime in reverse -- that was starting to annoy me, too. =)

Cheers, all, and thanks for your help and input! I'll post again after I take it in and get details of the problem and fix.

-Alex
:Beer

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Bought Used? How about reverse? Chimes then, too?

If so, I believe you've had the instrument cluster replaced or the battery was dead for a couple months. I'm sketchy on the details, but there is something about the mini-computer in the gauge cluster that tracks mileage. Speeds over 70 and in reverse it sets off chimes and a light, I think. There is a guy in the club that had that problem with a '02 that saat on the lot for months with a dead battery. Don't remember the fix. It was simple, though. You're under warranty, anyway. Take it in.

Great - I figured it was something electrical........ Im glad someone was able to help............

Members online

No members online now.
Back