permanent heat...

kleetus

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
Augh... I just changed the plastic housing that runs from behind the thermostat housing to the center of the block, had a nice long crack in it for a while... could never find the leak. Had to take it apart twice to replace the big o-ring the second time because I didn't replace it initially... I get a week out of it, then the air temp just goes full hot, and oddly enough, the DATC showed different settings for left and right, while I had it locked down to left side control only.

Did all the diagnostics on it, checked it to ground, checked the harness and all pointed to the DATC. Got a used one on ebay (from a wrecked car) and plugged it in, same thing. Still got the code 2798. At least it's consistent on both DATCs.

I can't get a scope prob on it, but I'm assuming that the controller pulses this valve to modulate the amount of heat output, where full voltage is closed, and full AC output, and low duty cycle to completely off is full heat?

Guess I need to order the valve from hell. Just odd it crapped out 1 week after putting the rest of the car back together. Thinking wire harness, but realistically, where the heck could that go bad changing something on the block, not the body of the car.

One other weird one, that the DATC didn't change and was hoping it would... when I shut the car off, the motors controlling the vents in the dash board come to life... squeak, grown, wiggle wiggle... it will do that for about 2-5 minutes then finally go quiet. What the heck is that all about? BTW, it's done that from day one, just never bothered to worry about it. My 2000 never did that though.

Anybody had similar?

DCCV failure is common. It should have been your first suspect.

It is normal for the vent damper motors to move for a while after shutdown. The service manual says that they will, and AFAIK, all LSes do this. Both of mine do. Maybe the vent dampers were quieter in your 2000.

Yeah I'm coming to realize the DCCV thing. What blows my mind, is I did all of the electrical checks, and it pointed to the DATC. I didn't remove the DCCV from the car, but I did check it to ground, and again, it came back fine. I guess once it heats up, the insulation must fail, or move enough to fail.

The power off wiggles is just amazing... I can't believe they consider that to be normal from the factory. I know what causes it, but I just don't believe they never addressed it.

Members online

No members online now.
Back