PCM Communication - Help

Flieger

LVC Member
Reaction score
I'm having trouble getting the Ford diagnostic computer to communicate with the PCM on a 2000 LS V6. The car was struck on the right front in an accident and everything mechanical/body has been repaired. The air bags on the steering column, passenger seatback and dash blew and have been replaced. The engine will not crank using the key but will start and run by jumping from the battery to the starter solenoid. We have followed all of the diagnostic procedures listed in the Ford shop manuals but can not get the diagnostic computer to communicate with the PCM. We have changed to another PCM and instrument cluster with the same result. There is a security light on which we can not cancel because we can not communicate with the PCM. Has anyone had a similar problem or do you have suggestions to solve this puzzle? Grateful for anything.

yep - it sound like the PATS system is keeping oyu from starting.

Does a standard ODBII device read? if not - you may have a blown fuse - there are several that involve the PCM, power to the PCM, andeven effect power to the ODBII port itself.

there are three fuse panels - under the hood, passenger kick panel and in the trunk.

I have had connection issues before too. It seems only the Actron scanners work with my car. Now I know some of the equipment out there is cheap, but I have tried the Equus, Cen-tech and a top-tak scanners. It seems that when the scanner tries to establish a connection they lock up. I'll take the same scanner, connect to my '99 explorer and they work perfectly. Bizarre.

Thanks, I'll recheck all the fuses with a meter and make sure that there no bad fuses. I'm also going to check continuity for the wires leading out of the OBD 2 port. You also suggested we check using another code reader and sure enough it won't read anything.

Solved after much research and stress. I had disconnected the shifter from the transmission. When it was reconnected all of the problems were magically resolved. The starter cranked the engine and everything worked properly. Too bad it took me a long day to solve the puzzle.

Members online

Back