Painting over interior woodgrain

JBRoss

LVC Member
Reaction score
Hi there! So I have the standard wood trim in my car and I was curious as to if there's a proven way to paint it without damaging it.

What I'm wanting to do, is paint it grey with transparent paint, so that I'd still have the woodgrain look, but with a cloudy, grey color. My autobody instructor said that I could scuff the surface of the woodgrain so that the paint would adhere correctly, and that the transparent paint should just change the color rather than covering the whole trim completely.

Has anyone tried this and would this actually look good?

This is what my trim looks like.
lincoln-ls-clinton-nc_39858_919564_9.jpg

This color is what I want.
2C4RC1BG4CR305641_16.jpg

You just need a different pair of sunglasses. No painting needed then.

I'm not sure, I saw pictures of ones recently on here. I just think it would be a better alternative to painting it. You could always just buy big sheets of the wood you want and cut it yourself.

Did the instructor recommend an adhesion promoter? I would think you could do it like people do taillights, leaving it not covered all the way so it's translucent.

Did the instructor recommend an adhesion promoter? I would think you could do it like people do taillights, leaving it not covered all the way so it's translucent.

He thinks cleaning and scuffing the surface with a scotch bright pad will give the trim enough adhesion to hold the paint.

http://www.streetbeatcustoms.com/Custom/Interior-Trim-Kits/Dash-Trim-Kit/536543/

On another note, a friend of mine sent me this, but it seems like that's a LOT of uneeded pieces.

I'm guessing it's not the most cost effective method but hydro dipping would give the best results.

Members online

Back