P2106 - pulled this code today (car had a misshift/buck yesterday)

lsintoronto

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
Was heading out to a movie yesterday in bad weather (it was snowing and roads were slippery) and the LS (2004 V8 with 138K miles) had an odd hesitation/bucking while cruising along on the highway. It occurred every few minutes/couple miles between 35-45 mph and felt almost like it was quickly trying to shift gears. Sometimes it would do it 10 seconds apart. The car kept doing this on the way there and back.

By the time we got closer to home (after 30 mins of driving) the message "ETC Engine Failsafe Mode" came on the message screen but didn't seem to affect power, etc. Shut the car off when we got home, turned it on again, and the message was gone.

Took the car for a couple shorter drives today but it wasn't having the same issue (although my wife did say it has done it before regularly but not as bad or frequent as it was last night) and the ETC Engine Failsafe Mode message didn't come back. Car runs fine except for this hesitation/occasional miss/buck at speed.

I did check for codes before going for a drive today and found:

P2106 - Throttle Actuator Control System - Forced Limited Power

Really hope some warm weather comes soon as I have 8 new spark plugs and pads/rotors for all 4 wheels to install.

Any advice on where I start with looking for the cause of the P2106 issue? Thanks!

IMG_00000182_zps65053ff5.gif

Also have this going on (some oil weeping) on both sides of the motor - what is that where the oil is weeping from?

IMG_00000178_zpsfbc0b1a2.jpg

IMG_00000175_zps6575780e.jpg

Was heading out to a movie yesterday in bad weather (it was snowing and roads were slippery) and the LS (2004 V8 with 138K miles) had an odd hesitation/bucking while cruising along on the highway. It occurred every few minutes/couple miles between 35-45 mph and felt almost like it was quickly trying to shift gears. Sometimes it would do it 10 seconds apart. The car kept doing this on the way there and back.

By the time we got closer to home (after 30 mins of driving) the message "ETC Engine Failsafe Mode" came on the message screen but didn't seem to affect power, etc. Shut the car off when we got home, turned it on again, and the message was gone.

Took the car for a couple shorter drives today but it wasn't having the same issue (although my wife did say it has done it before regularly but not as bad or frequent as it was last night) and the ETC Engine Failsafe Mode message didn't come back. Car runs fine except for this hesitation/occasional miss/buck at speed.

I did check for codes before going for a drive today and found:

P2106 - Throttle Actuator Control System - Forced Limited Power

Really hope some warm weather comes soon as I have 8 new spark plugs and pads/rotors for all 4 wheels to install.

Any advice on where I start with looking for the cause of the P2106 issue? Thanks!

IMG_00000182_zps65053ff5.gif

Also have this going on (some oil weeping) on both sides of the motor - what is that where the oil is weeping from?

IMG_00000178_zpsfbc0b1a2.jpg

IMG_00000175_zps6575780e.jpg

Sounds like a marginal #3 coil. Pretty much the same thing happens on the V8 (only coil #4).

Those are the solenoids for the VVT.

i've had those symptoms from a bad #4 coil and then later a #3 coil

system often throws unrelated throttle codes due to bad coils.
mild searching should give you complete info on this subject, but you probably need 8 new coils among other basic maintenance procedures.

and as a side note it will shift differently/poorly with even the slightest changes in things that factor into shift strategies (poor traction included) due its current state of disrepair.

Thanks for the replies. My bad as well - when I did a search prior to posting I searched for P2109 and nothing came up but the correct code was P2106 as I posted. Using that, I can see there are threads in the forum history. I believe #3 coil was replaced under the extended COP warranty back in 2009 or 2010 but non of the others were ever replaced.

As for the oil weeping from the VVT solenoids, I believe the fix for this was just a new gasket on each side?

Hey thanks for the info that it's the coils! Just got the ETC Engine Failsafe code myself today on my '04 LS V8. Took it right to the dealer and they appeared to be somewhat mystified by that code. Now I can be informed when I talk to the dealer tomorrow.

Quick followup on the ETC Engine Failsafe message. Dealer called and said they were replacing 7 out of 8 coils on my '04 LS V8, and that Ford had a notice (or whatever it's called) out on this and that it would be fixed at no charge under the notice. Yesssss! Got it back from the dealer and so far so good. BTW, only 30,000 miles on my '04. I asked dealer for estimate for 30,000 mile service, and he said about $525. Seems a lot for oil change, tire rotation, check the fluids, belts, and ball joints, etc. Is $525 about right? I'd like to be loyal to the dealer, but not if I'm overpaying dramatically.

525 seems way to high just to inspect those few things change the oil and rotate the tires...

my ford dealer sends me coupons all the time, $30 oil changes, $40 tire rotation and balance... so that leaves about $455 to check belts, fluids, ball joints, ect. not really sure why they need 5 hours of labor to inspect a few things...

Quick followup on the ETC Engine Failsafe message. Dealer called and said they were replacing 7 out of 8 coils on my '04 LS V8, and that Ford had a notice (or whatever it's called) out on this and that it would be fixed at no charge under the notice. Yesssss! Got it back from the dealer and so far so good. BTW, only 30,000 miles on my '04. I asked dealer for estimate for 30,000 mile service, and he said about $525. Seems a lot for oil change, tire rotation, check the fluids, belts, and ball joints, etc. Is $525 about right? I'd like to be loyal to the dealer, but not if I'm overpaying dramatically.

You still had coverage on an '04? I thought it ran out at around the 10 year mark. Are you just inside that?

... I asked dealer for estimate for 30,000 mile service, and he said about $525. ...

Most services are based on time or mileage, whichever is more. If this is a quote for the 10 year service (which includes more than you mentioned), then it is a fair to good quote. If it's really just for the 30K mile service, then it's way too high.

Incidentally, you have an 04. Most of those came from the factory with bad transmission fluid and some came with bad solenoid assemblies in the transmission. If I were you... If you have no transmission issues, I'd put my money into having the dealer do a full transmission fluid exchange. If you are having any issues, like harsh engagement of reverse, I'd go ahead and get the solenoid assembly and the filter changed too.

OK picked up a couple coils and new spark plugs for my LS V8 (2004) last week - anyone have the coil order/numbers (position) for the driver and passenger sides?

I plan to replace coil #3 and #4....just not sure which ones they are.

You really should replace them all...

Passenger Driver
Right Left
Firewall
4 8
3 7
2 6
1 5
Radiator

You really should replace them all...

Passenger Driver
Right Left
Firewall
4 8
3 7
2 6
1 5
Radiator

Yeah I think you're right - have to order some more stuff from Tasca so will add that to my list.

I pulled the passenger side plugs tonight and this is what they look like - (picture order left to right is: 4, 3, 2, 1) lots of oil in #2 and #1 and #3 was oily but to a lesser degree....ugh!

What's the cause of this? Off to do a LVC search now......

EDIT: Ah, looks like valve cover gaskets.

IMG_20140621_215812_zps538f5089.jpg

yes, you are in need of Valve Cover Gaskets.

common failure will allow oil to seep down into the plug wells.

Thanks for the responses guys.

Pulled the driver side coils and plugs and they look much better than the passenger side (where there is an obvious problem).

IMG_20140622_172343_zpsb371f7f0.gif

So I'll be doing the valve covers soon and will get the remaining coils as well but another issue popped up recently that I initially thought may be due to the coil issue but may now be due to something else. I'm getting a hard shift from Park to Reverse where I really have to keep my foot firm on the brake first to hold the car in place before moving the shifter to Reverse.

There are lots of thread on this issue as well as the other shifting issues. Appears I may have a 2-3 shift bobble/hesitation still as well, which based on the past threads, appear to point to a solenoid issue. I'll have to take it to the dealership and get it diagnosed this week.

Recently did the solenoid replacement (TSB 05-21-8) but still have the harsh reverse gear engagement and the harsh 2nd-3rd gear engagement (around 40 mph). The second issue isn't really related to the TSB but I was hoping that with fresh oil and filter as well that I would possibly see some improvement....that's a negative.

Anyone do the solenoid TSB and not fix the reverse gear harsh engagement issue? What eventually resolved that? What about the 2nd-3rd gear harsh shifting?

Thanks!

Ive heard of at least once or twice where somebody order a solenoid body from somewhere and got a bad one that also didn't work right...

Ive heard of at least once or twice where somebody order a solenoid body from somewhere and got a bad one that also didn't work right...

Thanks - I didn't want to take a chance with that so I went with a new solenoid and filter from a local Ford dealer. Probably unlikely that the new solenoid from Ford is bad so trying to figure out what to look at next.

Members online

No members online now.
Back