p0442 again...

2000LSMichael

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
I changed my gas cap about 2 months ago and now on today's drive my engine light came on. I put on my code reader and it was the p0442 again.

I should have stopped at the gas station and filled up (I have 1/4 tank to go) and seen if when I put back on the gas cap if it went away. FYI I use premium 92/93 gas.

Any other suggestions on the p0442?

The ford garage changed the fuel cap when I was in for the starting issue that I have, so I don't believe it would be the incorrect cap.

I did fill it up last night and made sure the cap was on correctly, but the light is still on.

FUEL FILTER...behind the front drivers side tire. may take a few days before the light clears. worked for me...

You may have to give it a little time for the computer to adjust, atleast that what my understanding was back when I had this problem on a different vehicle with the same code. Something about it has to go through a certain amount of cycles or something, just something that I read somewhere and not sure if its true or not.

Thanks for the info - hopefully it will solve itself and go through its cycle. I had changed the fuel filter less than 500 miles ago, so this shouldn't be the issue (I hope!).

Back when I had that code on my S-10, it turned out to be the purge solenoid valve if I remember the name correctly, changed that and the light went away.

disconnect the battery for a few hours and see if it comes on again, maybe it'll go away. This is the most inexpensive thing you can try i believe

Regarding this P0442 error I'd like to look at and check the 'Evaporative Emission Canister Purge Valve' but I can't locate the thing. The DVD contents show nice little line drawings bu as usual offer no hint on where to find the thing it's referring to.

So can anyone point me to the EECPV? Mine's a V6 but I'd bet the V8 is in a similar location. To see what the DVD says look in section 303-13

The canister purge valve should be bolted to the front driver's shock mount.
LSvalve.jpg

If you have a 1st gen, there should be a plastic cover hiding most of it.

Members online

No members online now.
Back