P0316, P2072, P0420.....stupid car

Bildabo

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, so go figure, I had to go to Ohio last week for work and on my way down my car started what seemed to be a mis-fire here and there. This morning on my way in to work, I stopped and got the codes pulled.

They gave me the following 3

P0316 - Crank Sensor
P0420 - low bank 1
P2072 - PCM is indicating that the throttle mode has been activated - Explanation - ECM strategy has performed several open and closed cycles to remove possible ice build-up - Probable cause - moisture or oil in the induction system may indicate a PCV problem

I popped the hood and noticed that on the left side (drivers side) I can see some oil seepage which is new.

Car is a 05, with 66,xxx miles, V8.

I figure I'd start with coils and plugs and since I see oil, do the valve cover gasket, PCV valve and see where that gets me.

What do you guys think? Before I got started I figured I'd see if you guys agree or if I should start somewhere else?

Thanks for the help!

P0316 - Engine Misfire Detected on Startup (First 1000 Revolutions)
I don't know where you got that it was a crank sensor code, it's not.
It's almost certainly due to the most common LS problem, marginal COPs.

P0420 - Catalyst System Efficiency Below Threshold Bank 1
This may clear up with new COPs and plugs. If not, you have gone too long with misfires from marginal COPs and now your catalytic converters are failing because of it.

P2072 - You have the correct meaning there. However, it's very likely that this code was actually triggered by EMI from a marginal COP.

Your engine does not have a PCV valve.

Where exactly is the oil seepage from? (If you don't have oil pooled in the plug wells, then you probably don't need VGCs.)

Thanks Joey, I see you have your cape on already today! =)

I got that info from the AutoZone guys. After they pulled the codes they printed off 3 sheets, 1 for each code.

....I should have known there is no PCV, shows how much time I've spent under the hood on the car, but window regulators I'm a champ at now!!

I'm not sure yet if there is oil seepage in the plug well just yet, but I'm assuming so. I just looked at the valve cover this morning and the cover that sits on top of the COPs is seeping oil. So I guess I'm assuming its a mess under there. I'll have to pull that tonight to make sure whats going on.

Basically if there is oil in the plug well, do VCG, if not, I'll just do coils and plugs and see where that gets me.

... I just looked at the valve cover this morning and the cover that sits on top of the COPs is seeping oil. So I guess I'm assuming its a mess under there. I'll have to pull that tonight to make sure whats going on...

In that case, your are right about needing valve cover gaskets. You might as well go ahead and order them now.

Members online

Back