overfilled engine oil

lking

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
I overfilled engine oil it's right at the end of x of max should i drain? or is it ok

yes, drain it. The extra oil could cause foaming and it will find its way out of the seals. Sometimes it could potentially damage the seals.

It's better to put oil in the halfway mark.

I overfilled engine oil it's right at the end of x of max should i drain? or is it ok

Which engine and by how much. I suspect that if it's just barely past the max fill line, you are fine. The V8 sport (oil cooler) takes 6.5 quarts, but I always put 7 in which brings it right to the max full line. No problems from that in 260K + miles combined (two LSes).

yes, drain it. The extra oil could cause foaming and it will find its way out of the seals. Sometimes it could potentially damage the seals.

drained some oil got it to the correct level ( second dot) it was barley anything maybe a quarter of a litre overfilled

It best to put in the correct amount. I don't see how being 1/2 quart low could be better. You'd have to be over a quart extra and in extreme circumstances to have any foaming. If you've looked inside the engine, you know there are baffles to reduce the possibility of the crankshaft splashing the oil in the pan.

The top of the fill mark on the dipstick is also not overfilling. The top of the range is full and the correct fill mark, the bottom of the mark is 1 quart low. If you are filling to the halfway point, you are running your car 1/2 quart low.

The top of the fill mark on the dipstick is also not overfilling. The top of the range is full and the correct fill mark, the bottom of the mark is 1 quart low. If you are filling to the halfway point, you are running your car 1/2 quart low.

halfway between full and min is not 1/2 quart low, it's the ideal fill mark. Not all oil will drain after the oil change, putting it at full mark will overfill at that point when the oil settles down. I've been doing that on all my cars without an issue. With this type of car where the valve cover gasket on the plugs are an issue, it's better not to over fill.

Yup..... Top mark is full (correct level), cross-hatched area is 'acceptable', though less than full and should be addressed and the bottom mark is a quart low and needs your attention.

From pg. 262 of the '04 OM....

• If the oil level is between the MIN and MAX marks, the oil level is acceptable. DO NOT ADD OIL.
• If the oil level is below the MIN mark, add enough oil to raise the level within the MIN-MAX range.
• Oil levels above the MAX mark may cause engine damage. Some oil must be removed from the engine by a service technician.

I've overfilled before. Extracted the excess via dip stick tube.

halfway between full and min is not 1/2 quart low, it's the ideal fill mark.

Yes, it is half a quart low. Halfway between the top and bottom of the hash marks is the half quart low mark. Within that range is an acceptable level, but it doesn't change the fact that full is at the top of the hash mark and 1 quart low is the bottom of the hash mark.

Not all oil will drain after the oil change, putting it at full mark will overfill at that point when the oil settles down.

This is why you are supposed to put 1 quart less than is called for, then start the engine for a minute, let the car rest for a couple of minutes. After the car sits for a minute you check the oil level, and add oil until it reaches the top of the hash mark. Putting all but one quart in will put oil on the dipstick, and you can tell how much you must add to top it up even if you need more than one quart.

I've been doing that on all my cars without an issue.

You've been underfilling, but keeping it within the hatch marks, so you shouldn't have an issue. At least, until you develop a seeping leak and now have less of a margin before you go too low and risk engine damage.

With this type of car where the valve cover gasket on the plugs are an issue, it's better not to over fill.

Irrelevant. How much oil in the oil pan under the engine has nothing to do with whether the valve covers on top of the engine leak. That is affected by leaking gaskets in the valve covers. The only engine related problem that might cause leaks in the valve covers would be plugged drainback holes that allows the oiling system to pressurize the valve covers. If this is happening you have much bigger problems than a half quart of oil would cause.

Yes, it is half a quart low. Halfway between the top and bottom of the hash marks is the half quart low mark. Within that range is an acceptable level, but it doesn't change the fact that full is at the top of the hash mark and 1 quart low is the bottom of the hash mark.

This is why you are supposed to put 1 quart less than is called for, then start the engine for a minute, let the car rest for a couple of minutes. After the car sits for a minute you check the oil level, and add oil until it reaches the top of the hash mark. Putting all but one quart in will put oil on the dipstick, and you can tell how much you must add to top it up even if you need more than one quart.

You've been underfilling, but keeping it within the hatch marks, so you shouldn't have an issue. At least, until you develop a seeping leak and now have less of a margin before you go too low and risk engine damage.

Irrelevant. How much oil in the oil pan under the engine has nothing to do with whether the valve covers on top of the engine leak. That is affected by leaking gaskets in the valve covers. The only engine related problem that might cause leaks in the valve covers would be plugged drainback holes that allows the oiling system to pressurize the valve covers. If this is happening you have much bigger problems than a half quart of oil would cause.

my understanding is that "half quart low" is different from "acceptable". Anywhere between min-max is acceptable and is within range, a half quart low is lower than min level. That's why my cars last at 160k (when I sold my taurus) and my camry at 92k, lincoln continental and ls at 116k/118k respectively and mountaineer at 136k without any issues.

my understanding is that "half quart low" is different from "acceptable". Anywhere between min-max is acceptable and is within range, a half quart low is lower than min level. That's why my cars last at 160k (when I sold my taurus) and my camry at 92k, lincoln continental and ls at 116k/118k respectively and mountaineer at 136k without any issues.

Half a quart low is within the acceptable range. What you are calling half a quart low is 1.5 quarts low. It's a matter of semantics, but "full" is universally accepted as being at the top of the hash mark on the dipstick, and "a quart low" is universally accepted as being at the bottom of the hash mark on the dipstick.

And when I change my oil I fill the filter as much as I can to prevent a "prolonged" dry start. I can usually get the filter at least half full.

Members online

No members online now.
Back