Outer Tie-rod

myfirstls

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
OK. I thought I was done with the suspension overhaul, but guess not.

My left outer tie-rod end is frozen. I thought I'll take it to local mechanic to change it since I need it to get the alignment. But nooooooooooo. Pretty much all local shop tells me no bring in/customer parts to be install. So my option is limited. Because of where I live, I don't trust independent mechanic. that means I have to do it myself.

I know there's a hex built in the inner tie-rod, but that didn't help removing the outer. I tried wrench and vise-grip. Is there any other trick left? I thought about heating that sucker, but wouldn't that same heat travel to the inner t-e-rod, hence to the power steering fluid, but before that, the rubber booth on the rack-and-pinion?

I even tried to step on that thing (with care), but it didn't budge. I'm about to replace the inner because of this.

HELP!!!!

Cut and beat it out, "carefully" of course!
Yes, you can put some heat to it without damage, wouldn't be the first time it's been done that way.

get some penetrating oil and squirt it around there, let it sit for 15 - 20 minutes.
then you can use a small hammer and tap it out.

if that doesnt work, a little heat will help ease it out. it wont travel all the way to
the inner tie rod. you wont need to heat it that much.

Or just do inners at the same time - under $20 at rock auto. All you need is a crow's foot wrench, or a big ass Crescent wrench to pull it out. You can do inners and outers together faster than you can monkey around with a frozen outer. Set the new inner/outer to the same length as what you pull off, and you'll be very close on alignment - certainly close enough to drive to the alignment shop.

Update: Got myself propane torch, heat it up for few minute and came off without any drama.

Damn, I should've done this long ago............. And yes. Inner Tie-rod was safe.

BUMP ::

Any inputs from you guys on what worked and what did not?

I need to replace the drivers side outer tie rod, I presume this would be referred to as the left one ??? (from sitting inside the car)
I'm thinking of just refreshing both sides but leaving the inners as they are not an as much of a wear item and seem more of a PITA to deal with.

Workshop manual seems to call out P/N 3A130 item#3 in the diagram @ http://deneau.info/ls/s6x~us~en~file=s6xb2004.htm~gen~ref.htm

ROCKAUTO.COM ~ All Vehicles > LINCOLN > 2004 > LS > 3.9L V8 > Steering > Tie Rod End

Preference seems to be the MOOG & LEMFORDER brands.

Should I stay OEM MOTORCRAFT or would the above options suffice? ... still plan to call around locally to get a CDN$ price.

TIA (haven't done front tie rods on LS just yet.)

I bought inners and outers for both sides so I'd be able to replace anything worn out. When I started to do the job, I found that I needed to do the inner but the outer was all right. The lock nut was very badly frozen in place with corrosion.

I was short of time so I took the whole thing off and put the inner in my chop saw. After getting the clearance, I put a box-wrench 'cheater' on the nut and got it loose. And then replaced the whole thing. (I get carried away and single-mindedly address the immediate problem instead of thinking ahead.)

I now have new inners and outers on both sides. (I drove the car to work for a week before having it aligned.)

KS

Right on, yeah we checked, the inners are just fine, just the drivers side outer has excessive play.

Any recommendation on brand to purchase, you think the MOOG & LEMFORDER would be alright?
anyone.gif

Okay,not really an answer to Big Rig's,but......for anyone searching the subject...When my inner tie rods went on the older LS, I just bought the whole rack and pinion at Auto-Zone with the lifetime warranty.Measure the lengths and write them down.ONE thing.......when you remove that steering unit,NOTE the washers positions.Very important that they go back on the way they came off. don-ohio :)^)

Remove steering unit? Washer position? Huh???
Why in the world would the steering unit need to come off???

I'm simply replacing both outer tie rods on the 04 LSE. There are both Tie-rod end & jam nuts involved, no washers!

Looking to see if anyone has had any luck with the above mentioned brands.

daf7beae_jackie-chan-wtf-meme.jpeg

It was kind of generic info. for other people BigRig. Yeah,the outers are easy. I just do Auto-Zone on them.....so I'm sure MOOG would be great too. don-ohio :)^)

Yes, I see your edit in your previous post now. Confused as per my question related to luck with outer tie rod brands.
Doesn't matter anymore, I already hit the Paypal trigger on some MOOG's outer tie rods and rear stabilizer end links.

Fun shopping for two LS'es right after Christmas, both need some fresh suspension parts. UCA's in the rear X 2 is killing me.
Luckily I have a good one left over from when I redid all the suspension work on my 01

Wait till I go looking for Special Suspension Sport Shocks !!! ... I'll find them! We Canadians' have Special Stock warehouses. LOL

<Ugh>

Hey,BigRIg! Sorry for the confusion I caused...I have 2 Lses also! I hope I need NO suspension parts though. I do need to put ball joints on my 05 Mustang though. HAPPY WRENCHING! I think I'll be replacing a water pump, thermostat, fan clutch and who knows what else on my Aerostar van later today. don-ohio :)^)

Members online

No members online now.
Back