Osama Bin Laden Dead.

Calabrio

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
Osama bin Laden Killed by U.S. Strike

Osama bin Laden, hunted as the mastermind behind the worst-ever terrorist attack on U.S. soil, has been killed, sources told ABC News.

His death brings to an end a tumultuous life that saw bin Laden go from being the carefree son of a Saudi billionaire, to terrorist leader and the most wanted man in the world.

Bin Laden created and funded the al Qaeda terror network, which was responsible for the Sept. 11, 2001, attacks on the United States. The Saudi exile had been a man on the run since the U.S.-led invasion of Afghanistan overthrew the ruling Taliban regime, which harbored bin Laden.

In a video filmed two months after the Sept. 11 attacks, bin Laden gloated about the attack, saying it had exceeded even his "optimistic" calculations.

"Our terrorism is against America. Our terrorism is a blessed terrorism to prevent the unjust person from committing injustice and to stop American support for Israel, which kills our sons," he said in the video.

Long before the Sept. 11 attacks, bin Laden was known as an enemy of the United States. He was suspected of playing large roles in the 1998 bombings of two U.S. Embassies in Africa and the attack on the USS Cole in the Yemeni port of Aden in October 2000.

In addition, authorities say bin Laden and his al Qaeda network were involved in previous attacks against U.S. interests -- including the 1993 World Trade Center bombing, failed plots to kill President Clinton and the pope, and attacks on U.S. troops in Saudi Arabia and Somalia.

Bin Laden also used his millions to bankroll terrorist training camps in Sudan, the Philippines and Afghanistan, sending "holy warriors" to foment revolution and fight with fundamentalist Muslim forces across North Africa, in Chechnya, Tajikistan and Bosnia.

Until the capture of one of his top al Qaeda lieutenants in March 2003, there had been no confirmation of his whereabouts -- or even that he was still alive -- since late 2001, when he appeared in a series of videotapes later released to news organizations.

In recent years, several audio recordings of bin Laden have been authenticated by U.S. officials and made public. In an 18-minute videotape weeks before the 2004 U.S. presidential election, bin Laden threatened fresh attacks on the United States as well as his intent to push America into bankruptcy.

Young Man With a Privileged Life

Born in 1957, bin Laden was a son of Saudi Arabia's wealthiest construction magnate. Saudi sources remembered him as a typical young man whose intense religiosity began to emerge as he grew fascinated with the ancient mosques of Mecca and Medina, which his family's company was involved in rebuilding.

Bin Laden attended schools in Jedda, Saudi Arabia, and was encouraged to marry early, at the age of 17, to a Syrian girl and family relation. She was to be the first of several wives. He attended King Abdul-Aziz University and was slated to join the family business. He soon chose a different path, however.

Former classmates of bin Laden recall him as a frequent patron of nightclubs, who drank and caroused with his Saudi royalty cohorts. Yet it was also at the university that bin Laden met the Muslim fundamentalist Sheik Abdullah Azzam, perhaps his first teacher of religious politics and his earliest radical influence.

Azzam spoke fervently of the need to liberate Islamic nations from foreign interests and interventions, and he indoctrinated his disciples in the strictest tenets of the Muslim faith. Bin Laden, however, would eventually cultivate a brand of militant religious extremism that exceeded his teacher's.

He began his relationship with fundamental Islamic groups in the early 1970s. His religious passion exploded in 1979 when Russia invaded Afghanistan. Bin Laden left his comfortable Saudi home for Afghanistan to participate in the Afghan jihad, or holy war, against the Soviet Union -- a cause that the United States funded, pouring $3 billion into the Afghan resistance via the CIA.

Turning Against the Saudi Elite

His active opposition to the Soviet Union and his monetary support in purchasing arms, establishing training camps, and building houses, roads and other infrastructure, cemented his position as a hero among many people.

In 1988, he and the Egyptians founded al Qaeda, ("The Base"), a network initially designed to build fighting power for the Afghan resistance.

Bin Laden's politics became more radical during the war. Upon returning to his home in Saudi Arabia, he was widely honored as a hero. But he returned to a country that he perceived had stepped away from the fundamentals of Islam. He declared the Saudi ruling family "insufficiently Islamic" and increasingly advocated the use of violence to force movement toward extremism.

Bin Laden saw American influence in Saudi Arabia as counter to everything he believed. He fell into disfavor with the Saudi government and moved his family to Sudan where he established terrorist camps -- training and equipping terrorists from a dozen countries.

Bin Laden would not compromise his religious beliefs and after three years of continued criticism of the Saudi royal family, his own family disowned him.

Saudi Arabia stripped bin Laden of his citizenship in the mid-'90s for his alleged activities against the royal family, after he had left the country for Sudan. He later was expelled from Sudan under U.S., Egyptian and Saudi pressure. In 1996, he took refuge in Afghanistan.

Back to Afghanistan

Former mujahideen commanders close to the Taliban said that, in Afghanistan, bin Laden bankrolled the hard-line Islamic militia's capture of Kabul under the leadership of Mullah Mohammed Omar. He became one of Omar's most trusted advisers.

One of bin Laden's main strengths among the Muslim people was that followers saw him as a true believer in the faith. In their eyes he transcended other leaders who are viewed as dictators who care little for Islam or the people they lead. Bin Laden entered their lives with a message they can follow and he had the cash at his disposal to carry out that message.

Bin Laden was said to personally control about $300 million of his family's $5 billion fortune. His role as a financier of terrorism is pivotal, experts said, because he revolutionized the financing of extremist movements by forming and funding his own private terror network.

In 1998, he issued an edict openly declared war on America: "We -- with God's help -- call on every Muslim who believes in God and wishes to be rewarded to comply with God's order to kill the Americans and plunder their money wherever and whenever they find it."

Bin Laden committed himself to expelling all Americans and Jews from Muslim holy lands. "Osama bin Laden may be the most dangerous non-state terrorist in the world," Sandy Berger, President Clinton's national security adviser, told ABC News.

Most Wanted Man on Earth

His place in American history is relatively new, but in a short time he left a violent mark.

In 1993, bin Laden was linked by U.S. officials to the bombing of the World Trade Center that killed six people. He is also believed to have orchestrated at least a dozen attacks, some successful, some not. Among the worst of these were two truck bombings, both on Aug. 7, 1998, of U.S. embassies in Nairobi, Kenya, and Dar es Salaam, Tanzania.

Clinton responded with cruise missile attacks on suspected al Qaeda training camps in Afghanistan and a pharmaceutical plant in Sudan. In November 1998, the U.S. State Department promised $5 million to anyone with information leading to bin Laden's arrest.

Despite attempts to apprehend him, bin Laden eluded the American government and continued plotting against it.

The same group, with bin Laden at the helm, is widely believed to be responsible for the October 2000 suicide bombing of the USS Cole.

Then came the stunning Sept. 11, 2001, attacks. On a clear, late-summer morning, two hijacked commercial jets flew into the twin towers of the World Trade Center. About an hour later, another hijacked airliner slammed into the Pentagon in the nation's capital. A fourth hijacked jet did not reach its target, crashing in western Pennsylvania instead.

When the massive towers collapsed in flames, nearly 3,000 people perished. Among those lost in New York, Washington, D.C., and Pennsylvania were the 19 hijackers, most of whom have been linked to al Qaeda operations. Bin Laden denied involvement in the attacks, but he praised the hijackers for their acts. The U.S. government nevertheless regarded the terrorist leader as its prime suspect and stepped up the manhunt.

In March 2005, Pakistani President Gen. Pervez Musharraf admitted that bin Laden had been in Pakistan in the spring of 2004 and was almost captured. Intelligence officials said they believed he was hiding in the rugged mountains that straddle the border with Afghanistan. The U.S. government even launched a series of television and radio ads in Pakistan trumpeting the $25 million reward for his capture.

In January 2006, a purported Bin Laden audio tape was released where a male voice threatens the United States with more attacks on U.S. soil.

Osama bin laden is dead

:D Celebrate good times COME ON!!! AND LETS BRING THE U.S. TROOPS HOME :)

CBS News is reporting that he was shot in the head, indicating that it was US Special Forces or a CIA operations team. It's possible that they went into Pakistan to get him.

They're also reporting that they will "dispose of" his body, rather than run the risk of his grave becoming a martyr's shrine. Personally, I think he ought to be buried in downtown NYC under an outhouse. I'm sure there are a bunch of NYC firefighters and cops who would pay to use it regularly.

The President is coming on soon to confirm

This is probably the best news possible since I got injured over in Iraq in 2004. Now I have some closure in this matter.

Now on that note, read my signature and lets make it happen. HOAH!

Last edited by a moderator:
President Obama just confirmed that Bin Laden's body was taken by a American forces following a firefight outside Islamabad, Pakistan.

As I saw posted elsewhere, this sends a clear message: no matter how far or long you run, we will find you and put a bullet in your brain. (Or as I read years ago, don't run--you'll only die tired.)

YouTube - Toby Keith- Courtesy Of the Red white and blue(Lyrics)

Yes it is about time. Glad there is some retribution to be felt. Keep your eyes and ears open for some type al qaeda reaction. Strange to think I was in Pakistan 5 years ago. Glad we finally got him.

All I have to say is that I hope this isn't a ploy to get more votes.

Dibs on suggestions for the Onion headline:

"Osama bin laden welcomed to the afterlife by Jesus, punked by judas."

Or, "chuck Norris welcomed back from his Pakistan vacation."

I read this as I went to bed last night, and I woke the wife up and told her. As I laid in bed trying to sleep, the same thought kept me up for awhile. That thought was this, for 1 person in this world, so hated, so sought after, for the crimes and the memorable 9-11 tragedies, I remember the the countless soldiers that gave their own life for the protection of our freedoms that we so much enjoy in this country.

I spent 15 yrs of my life helping to protect this country, and if it was not for my injuries, I would still honorably and gladly and proudly be still serving. But I always fear that my brothers and sisters in arms own names will never be heard. Unlike the person with 3 words making up his name, OSAMA BIN LADEN. His name is embedded in every US citizen for the rest of our lives. But I hope one day the names of those that gave soooo much will be remembered for eternity.

What most do not understand or can comprehend that have not experienced serving in the Military is the bond, love and training and sacrifices that one has to protect the brother and or sister to their right or left in time of conflict, and the willingness to give their own life to save the one next to them.

I hope that the joy that this news brings to those reading, listening, or watching of the events to Osama Bin Laden's death, that they take a moment to remember those that gave their life to make this happen over the 10 years. All it takes is a moment of silence and a prayer to remember those that did give all and those still giving all for you, I and country.

To those members on this site that are still serving, I love you all and I pray and greatly appreciate what you are doing, and the time away from home is appreciated. For those that have served, the same goes to you.

What I think may happen since this happened in Pakistan, and the weak relationship US has with Pakistanis, and 3rd world countries made mostly of Islamic extremist's, is the retaliation that is going to occur because of not only Osama Bin Laden's death, but the joy we as a country share and expressed openly to the news world wide. There will be increased attempts to harm the thought of freedom in this country. Lets hope it does not, and no one else has to lose their life because of thee evil group of extremists. And that we also do not let our guard down and think that what happened on 9-11 will not happen again because of one mans death.

Unit, God, Country. God Speed to all.

Mission Accomplished

How Obama's focused, hands-on pursuit of Osama Bin Laden paid off.

At approximately 11:30 p.m. Sunday, President Obama announced to the nation that on his orders U.S forces had killed Osama Bin Laden. His reputation for lawyerly inaction may never recover.

Obama's critics have said that he is a weak leader in general and in particular does not understand what must be done to combat terrorism. "They are very much giving up that center of attention and focus that's required," said former Vice President Dick Cheney in March 2009, in a typical remark. Yet what emerges from the details of Bin Laden's killing (offered, like the heroic accounts of the Bush years, entirely by officials who work for the sitting president) is that from early in his administration Obama was focused on killing Osama Bin Laden and that he was involved in the process throughout.
In June 2009, Obama directed his CIA director to "provide me within 30 days a detailed operation plan for locating and bringing to justice" Osama Bin Laden. By August 2010 intelligence officials had identified the suspicious compound where Osama lived. Thirty-five minutes outside Islamabad, the walls were up to 18 feet high and topped with barbed wire. The largest structure, a three-story building, had very few windows. Though the house was valued at $1 million, it had no Internet or phone service. Its residents, unlike their neighbors, burned their trash.
Detainees being held at Guantanamo provided some of the strongest information about those who were trusted by Bin Laden. They identified a courier and his brother who lived in Abbottabad, Pakistan, an affluent suburb where a lot of retired Pakistani military officers live.
The final phase of the painstaking process started in mid-February. Intelligence officials started to get good information on the compound. A series of meetings were held in the White House to develop aggressive intelligence gathering operations. A family lived at the compound that matched the description of the Bin Laden family. By mid-March the president was chairing the national security meetings on the operation. (In all he would chair five such meetings, including the ones on the day the operation took place.)
Early Friday morning before departing to view tornado damage in Alabama, the president gave the order to initiate the operation to kill Bin Laden. On Sunday, he met throughout the day in the Situation Room, making final preparations and receiving updates.
The assault team arrived by helicopter. Administration officials were vague about what happened next. Bin Laden "did resist the assault force" and he was killed in a firefight, which leaves plenty of room for details to come out in the screenplay. Bin Laden's oldest son and the two couriers were also killed. One woman, whom a senior administration official said was used as a shield by one of the men, was killed. Two other women were injured.
At about 4 p.m., the president received first word that his orders had very likely led to the successful assassination of the architect of the greatest attack ever on America.
No other country, including Pakistan, knew of the attack, but the president in his remarks was clear that the operation couldn't have taken place without the help of the Pakistani government. "Our counterterrorism cooperation with Pakistan helped lead us to Bin Laden and the compound where he was hiding."
The president went to sleep to the sound of cheering outside the White House. At Ground Zero in New York and towns across the country, people gathered to sing the national anthem and chant "USA! USA!" It was a flicker of the post-9/11 unity that the president had referenced in his remarks earlier in the evening.
In his remarks announcing the operation, the president sought to rekindle that feeling, but he went further. He made the latest in a series of paeans to the American spirit. Under assault from conservatives who say he does not believe in the idea of American exceptionalism, Obama took the opportunity to reiterate his belief in the unique qualities of his countrymen:
Today's achievement is a testament to the greatness of our country and the determination of the American people. … Tonight, we are once again reminded that America can do whatever we set our mind to. That is the story of our history, whether it's the pursuit of prosperity for our people, or the struggle for equality for all our citizens; our commitment to stand up for our values abroad, and our sacrifices to make the world a safer place. Let us remember that we can do these things not just because of wealth or power, but because of who we are: one nation, under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.
Thus did the president both answer his conservative critics and rise above them. Yes, he was saying, I do believe in American exceptionalism—and so should any terrorist who would wish America ill. All in all, it was a good night to be president.

Obama is following up on releasing his long form birth certificate.
For the birthers now they can naturalize and adopt him as an American.
To Republicans, by whacking Bin Laden, Obama is now a made man and will be allowed to join the Mafia as a respected member.
Interesting times indeed....

ba7df94e4a2287ac17f9b200cb40.jpg

All I have to say is that I hope this isn't a ploy to get more votes.

No. But you can bet that any criticism of Obama about this from Rush, Beck, Hannity, Malkin, Palin, Cheney, et. al. will be a ploy to steal votes.

Cue the criticism from the right in 3....2....1....

Credit goes out to all the servicemen and women and intel people who made this possible - and - wow - those SEALs... I am glad they are ours...

And credit to the commander in chief as well.

Maybe for a couple of days we can set aside political differences and just enjoy a victory - it has been a long time since we have had one.

When I saw the televised crowds at ground zero last night - it felt like a victory. When they were cheering USA USA - it felt good, it felt right.

LMAO do your research, who the hell believes this crap?? LMAOOOOOO

Bin Laden’s body has already been hastily “buried at sea,” meaning that the comic book story of his dramatic killing is based solely on the less than credible word of the U.S. government.
LMAOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO Wake up Sheep!

osama.JPG

LMAO do your research, who the hell believes this crap?? LMAOOOOOO

Bin Laden’s body has already been hastily “buried at sea,” meaning that the comic book story of his dramatic killing is based solely on the less than credible word of the U.S. government.
LMAOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO Wake up Sheep!

osama.JPG

And what "research" have you done.
They took some of his DNA before disposing of him.
You won't even wait for more facts to come out and the reaction in the Muslim world.
You should take a deep breath before speaking out of school.

So whats all your thoughts on the pic re-released?

There are a number of viral pictures circulating the web today.
I don't think there have been any "official" pictures released from the government.

With all that said, I think this is a figurative victory. It doesn't necessarily make any of the world safer.

So whats all your thoughts on the pic re-released?

Let's give it a few days and see what facts come out of this.
Anybody can alter and post pics so let's do our due dilligence
before getting carried away.

Members online

Back