Opinions: What's the best tire for the LS

FreeFaller

USAF LS8
Reaction score
Just wondering what the best tire out there is for the LS. It seems that on the web alot of people don't like the Michelin Pilot MXM4. What are you guys using? :feedback

toyo proxies 4

im using the toyo proxies 4, 245/45/R17....they are pretty sticky, and have a very good treadwear rating, the also have a AA traction rating, good bang for the buck.

I recently up-sized my 16" tires to 235-55-16s. Not too many to chose from in that size that are V-rated. I chose Falken ZE512s, they are much better than the original Firehawks.

GoldCoastLs said:
im using the toyo proxies 4, 245/45/R17....they are pretty sticky, and have a very good treadwear rating, the also have a AA traction rating, good bang for the buck.

I had these tires on my lexanis (when i had them on my LS) they were great tires, gripped VERY well. I believe treadwear on them was in the 300 area? Which is very good for a Z rated tire with a AA treadwear rating (and a A temp rating if anyone was wondering). On top of this, they were good looking tires with a cool tread pattern. Only complaint: NOISY! And remember these are directional tires.

FreeFaller said:
Thanks for the input guys. Now I can get to researching your suggestions. :V :yourock:

I just bought a set of 4 BF Goodrich G-force KDWS 255/45/17 and they ride very nice...and corner extremely well I might add.

Avon calling....

In response to your tire question. You may want to look at Tire Rack website. They have an excelent selection of tires for the LS. I bought a set of Avon Tech M500's about 4000 miles ago and they have been great. Quiet, smooth and really grippy even in heavy rain. Avon also makes an all season tire, the Tech M550 A/S. Avon is new to the US market but are popular in Europe. Prices are still reasonable not having made a name for themselves yet here in the States. Her's a link to the M550's.
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?ti...romCompare1=yes

Be sure to read the reviews.
I've dealt with tirerack for years. You pay a little extra for the shipping but if your out of state you save it on tax, plus you can't find the selection at any local tire shop. You can have the tires shipped directly to the shop wher you want it installed. They even have local tire mounting shops in your area. Great website, great company in my opinion.

Just got an '02 LS V8. It came with new Kumho Ecsta 255/45/R17 W rated tires, which is weird to me because it only has 29k on it... Grip nice, but the wear rating is a little short for being a W tire. Anyway I like the BFG KDWS. Have 'em on a Mustang, had them on a T/A WS6. Excellent wear rating, Z speed rating, traction, and wet use.

what does the LS'ers think of going from the 245/45/17 to the 245/50/17??? I know it's only a .5" on each side.. BUT...... I want something with a bigger sidewall.

I like the bigger sidewall, kinda fills in the wheel well alittle bit more, and probably smooths out the ride a little bit

LBK_LS said:
what does the LS'ers think of going from the 245/45/17 to the 245/50/17??? I know it's only a .5" on each side.. BUT...... I want something with a bigger sidewall.

I like the bigger sidewall, kinda fills in the wheel well alittle bit more, and probably smooths out the ride a little bit

mine are 235 50R 17...

linc.jpg

wheel well.jpg

luckieleo said:
mine are 235 50R 17...

now please correct me if I am wrong, because I do not claim to me a tire expert. Doesn't the smaller first number somewhat cancel out the second number, so the 245/45/17 is pretty close in side wall as the 235/50/17. The 235 has alot to do with the width of the tire so it would make the tire somewhat smaller I doubt enough to make a difference but I don't think that the 235/50/17 would give you a larger sidewall.... Any input here would be good because I would also like to know and if this does have a larger sidewall do you have any close up pics. I would like to see how it looks!!!

dropped74 said:
Doesn't the smaller first number somewhat cancel out the second number, so the 245/45/17 is pretty close in side wall as the 235/50/17. The 235 has alot to do with the width of the tire so it would make the tire somewhat smaller I doubt enough to make a difference but I don't think that the 235/50/17 would give you a larger sidewall.... Any input here would be good because I would also like to know and if this does have a larger sidewall do you have any close up pics. I would like to see how it looks!!!
The first number doesn't just have a lot to do with the width--it is the width of the tire in mm. The second number is the aspect ratio, the height of the sidewall as a percentage of the tire width (the first number), so if the first number goes up and the second number goes down, you'll have a wider tire (and thus a larger contact patch), but not necessarily a taller tire (which could be good, since you may not need to recalibrate the speedo).

So, in the first case, we have 245 x .45 = 110.25mm sidewall height. In the second case, we have 235 x .5 = 117.5mm, so the 245s will be a bit less than a half inch (7.25mm x 2) shorter than the 235s overall.

Last edited:
Any opinions on Dunlops or BF Goodrich Comp T/As? Long ago, I ran Dunlop D40s (I think; it's only been 11 years--could've been D60s) on my T-Bird SC, and the Comp T/As were where it was at on the 1st/2nd Gen SHOs. Both beat the living daylights out of the Goodyears that were on both cars when I bought 'em.

Pirelli

I've got 5,000 miles on a set of Pirelli P Zero Nero M+S in a 245/40/18 and they are excellent in dry and wet conditions.

I have 35K miles on my original Michelin Pilots. They are shot, handling is off, rain driving is scary.

I am having 4 Toyo Proxes T1R's installed on Friday.

Anyone else have T1R's? Thoughts?

I replaced my 235/50/17 with 235/55/17 for more sidewall to soften the ride a little. Way too harsh for my old bones with the factory tires and besides, the Michelins were seperating on the sidewall. I have had 4 different cars that had Michelins on them when I purchased them and all have had problems.
I too ran a set of the Cooper Zeon tires on my 04 Vic for a short time before going to a set of 17" wheels. Very nice looking and handling tire.

It seems that when you go to tire rack nearly every tire that is OEM gets crappy reviews (and lots of them). I suspect it's becuase people are replacing their oem tires and are reviewing their worn out oem tires and comparing them to the brand new tires they bought. just my .02

Members online

No members online now.
Back