oops i broke this tupe!!! please help

QUICKSILVER_LS

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
hi guys... as i change my valve cover seal today...and accidentg broke this plastic tupe. any 1 know what this tupe call and where can i go to get the replacement...please help ...

P6070066.jpg

Don't know what it is for sure but the left part is a fitting and looks intact. The tube looks like regular vinyl tubing which you can buy cheap(pennies per foot) at many auto and hardware stores. I would remove the broken tube and put a new one on the barbed fitting.

You can see the "ripples" in the tube from the barbed fitting. You could GENTLY use a sharp knife or razor to split the old tube to make it easier to remove from the bars.

Good Luck,

Jim Henderson

Don't know what it is for sure but the left part is a fitting and looks intact. The tube looks like regular vinyl tubing which you can buy cheap(pennies per foot) at many auto and hardware stores. I would remove the broken tube and put a new one on the barbed fitting.

You can see the "ripples" in the tube from the barbed fitting. You could GENTLY use a sharp knife or razor to split the old tube to make it easier to remove from the bars.

Good Luck,

Jim Henderson

thank you for quick replie...also when you change the valve cover gasket...what kind of tool to use when pry off the valve cover. can i use the flat head screw driver??

You shouldn't need a tool to remove them. Just pull on a corner or end and it should come off.

+1 , but if you can't lift it off by hand you could gently pry it off. Also, check your PM, sent you one a few days ago

yes I would pry only as a VERY last resort. If you nick or indent the aluminum head your are going to get leaks....

Usually bumping a corner of the valve cover parallel to the head with the palm of your hand will help break the seal and allow for easier removal.

thank guys. i just got my valve cover off...and the seal is black...i thought i was gray but what the heck it leak anyway, so now do i need to put the rtv around the new seal??

no - you have to use a dab of RTV on the head to timing cover seam - but that's it

right just on the seam...I think it means 2 dabs per head....

I didnt even bother with any RTV at the seams. I dont have any evidence of leaks there yet, but its only been driven 1500 or so miles since I put the gaskets on.

Youll need to reseal that end fitting on that tube when you put it back on. All you should have had to do was squeeze the tabs on the ring at the end and pull and that comes apart.
The easiest way to fix that though would be to get a short length of rubber emissions hose or fuel system hose, and fit it over the broken ends of the hard plastic.

Good Luck,

Jim Henderson

HI i did replace with the vinyl tubing, but it can't stand the high temperature of the engine. where can i find alternative?

any autoparts store will carry hose that can withstand the heat and oil vapor.

All of mine are swapped for hose since I added the oil catch cans in-line to the PCV.

The vinyl tubing used in cars is usually a hard shiney plastic vinyl. YOu don't want the soft rubbery feeling vinyl tubing.

Look around at the bigger stores or try a NAPA store, they often have the less common stuff.

There are also commercial hose supply outfits in most industrial areas and they have all sorts of hose with different materials. The shop can usually point you to the right kind of hose. What you are looking for is fuel and oil proof and temperature resistant hose.

Good Luck,

Jim Henderson

The same thing happened to me. For some reason, I had to go to the Ford dealer instead of the Lincoln dealer. For some reason, the prices are cheaper at the Ford dealership too. Anyway, the part number is W701520-S421 (if it's a V6) as of last October. It cost me $3.00. But, if you want to go cheaper, just stick that part number in the search at TeamFord or something. Hopefully, the part number is the same. I noticed Ford/Lincoln seems to change part numbers around often.

Members online

No members online now.
Back