Only 3,000 Miles From Visteons?

Turboguy

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
Got a Cylinder 1 misfire today. Pulled coil cover and removed the Visteon that was installed only 3K ago, looked perfect no oil on it.
In spark plug hole there is only the slightest half-circle shaped dark spot, prob oil, but very very little.
Could that tiny spec of oil cause a misfire? And has anyone else had a Visteon go bad so quickly? image.jpgimage.jpg
Digging around for my spare coil now...

image.jpg

image.jpg

Doesn't look like enough oil to be a problem. Did you use dielectric grease on the boot of the coil? Is the plug gap at 1mm, no more and no less? Was the plug changed with the coil 3K miles ago?

Yes on dielectric grease, will check w my mechanic on plug specs.
Edit: my notes say plugs changed with sp467 platinum w correct gap. Will pull it to inspect.

Yes on dielectric grease, will check w my mechanic on plug specs.
Edit: my notes say plugs changed with sp467 platinum w correct gap. Will pull it to inspect.

Strange choice. Why not go with the specified SP-497 plug?

Edit: Looks like 467 used to be called out, but the current number is 497.

Plug looked fine and gap was good.
Cleaned it off, reinstalled, cleared codes and started up. Misfire came back.
Motorcraft coil and plug on order...

Plug looked fine and gap was good.
Cleaned it off, reinstalled, cleared codes and started up. Misfire came back.
Motorcraft coil and plug on order...

Could be a fluke failure. Is it possible that someone sold you warranty returned coils as new?

Little story...
I bought a composite granite sink recently from one of those big box home improvement stores, you know kind of like a depot of some sort.
Pulled it out of the box at home and discovered a big scratch on the visible surface of the sink. Took it back and showed them the flaw and they gave me another sink. I opened this one before I left the store. No scratches, but it had big voids on the under side that would have caused it to crack when it was filled with water. Someone else had purchased and returned it after noticing this, because they wrote on the box. Got a 3rd sink, and all was/is well. I went back to that store a week later, and both bad sinks were sealed back up and out on the shelf to be sold as new at full price.

That's dirty.... What bothers me is some of these stores charge you a re-stocking fee, only to place it back in the same exact packaging for the full price. If it's open or returned (especially damaged), I'm ok with them offering it at a lower price, but don't charge people re-stocking fees only to put the damn same item back up for the same exact price!

That's dirty.... What bothers me is some of these stores charge you a re-stocking fee, only to place it back in the same exact packaging for the full price. If it's open or returned (especially damaged), I'm ok with them offering it at a lower price, but don't charge people re-stocking fees only to put the damn same item back up for the same exact price!

Why not? Eventually someone will buy it and not return it, and they know this. In the meantime, they get those restocking fees. Eventually they'll make the same money as selling two, by selling one. Of course, I disagree with this practice too, but what can you do other than return it, and if you see it on the shelf again very discreetly write "DEFECTIVE ITEM - RETURN TO MANUFACTURER" on the outside of the box?

Ugh, buyer beware.
These were part of one of those trusted eBay sellers' listings around a year ago. Oh well, we'll see what happens when the motorcraft gets here. Thanks Joe!

I am having slight misfire symptoms myself, but only at idle. So far the scan tool is reading 0 misfires, but it feels like a miss. I have Visteons and new Motorcraft plugs installed 15K ago. I have yet to pull them to inspect.

I am having slight misfire symptoms myself, but only at idle. So far the scan tool is reading 0 misfires, but it feels like a miss. I have Visteons and new Motorcraft plugs installed 15K ago. I have yet to pull them to inspect.
If you dont mind me asking what scan tool are you using. Thanks.
Tony L.

Well a new Motorcraft coil fixed it. If the rest hold up for awhile the cheaper Visteons were worth it.
If more start failing I guess they weren't. Time will tell.

I obtained my Visteon's from the guy on ebay - alansdeals before he stopped selling them. Been about 40,000 miles and no issues. The only thing I've done is VGCs and changed the plugs from motorcraft to NGK.

Been rocking visteons for like 30k at this point. No problems, sounds like you just got a bad one, it happens, even with the best manufactures.

Hopefully a fluke. Glad others are getting good results with theirs. I also bought mine from alanisdeals, but I only have 9,000 mi on them so far.

If you dont mind me asking what scan tool are you using. Thanks.
Tony L.

Sorry I missed your question. I was using a Snap-on scan tool. I don't know the exact model number. I could always find out if it is important.

Scanner

Sorry I missed your question. I was using a Snap-on scan tool. I don't know the exact model number. I could always find out if it is important.
I was curious of the cost Snap On that cant be cheap.

Members online

Back