One piece at a time.

97MarkJA

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
Some time back I bought 2 sets of coil covers. I figured I'd try my hand at powder coating, a little two tone action.
I picked smoked chrome for the main parts with gloss black in the fin area of the coil covers and intake.
I've got a extra set of valve covers to do for the new motor and a extra lid for the cobra intake.
Today I did the coil covers. Shot them with the smoked chrome and then with black cleaning off the fins. Final coat was gloss clear. Turned out pretty good.

20130527_152023.jpg

20130527_162103.jpg

20130527_175609.jpg

20130527_175940.jpg

20130527_183856.jpg

20130527_184230.jpg

20130527_184239.jpg

I'll take it from the top. These are aluminum so I blasted them with aluminum oxide, scrubbed them with hot water and soap; them dipped them in boiling water. I also degas them in the over for 45 min at 475*.
Why.. Because I don't know what they made these out of.
Set the oven to 450* shoot a coat of smoked chrome, set them in until the powder flows out. (Do not cure)
Let them cool and shoot the black, wipe the parts you don't want black.
Return to the oven at 450* until it flows out then back the oven down to 400* for 20 min to cure.
Pull the parts and let them cool, shoot the clear and return to oven already at 400* until it flows then back the oven down to 375* to cure. I have the low temp clear to use over all powder including chrome to retain the shine.
Hope that helps.

Ah ok I didn't know there was a "cure" so the black can wipe right off. Thats what I was wondering about. They look good nice job. I would like to get powder coat kit too. What kit you have?

I bought the eastwood dual voltage starter kit and a couple 2lb tubs of powder. It was on sale for $179. Cheaper that the dual voltage gun by its self.
When you spay the powder it will wipe right off while its just powder. Cure is the 20 min cycle at temp after flow out.
It is addictive... You'll be looking for things to coat!
I've bought several ovens off of Craigslist accumulating parts to build a large oven.

Looks great how's the smoked chrome in person

I use a single voltage Eastwood gun
I think its to week to do 3 coats like that
Should be a warning on the box VERY addictive.

Also what did you use to wipe off the black everything I've done is tackie after it flows.

Those came out great!

I've been eyeing up that gun for the last few months, Lucky for me the wife wants a new gas stove so I have been very passionately looking for a new oven for her. :D

If you’re looking for things to coat I have some calipers and valve covers I want to get done. Maybe do some trading.

Looks great how's the smoked chrome in person

I use a single voltage Eastwood gun
I think its to week to do 3 coats like that
Should be a warning on the box VERY addictive.

Also what did you use to wipe off the black everything I've done is tackie after it flows.

I take a damp cloth and use my finger.. With a nitrate glove on and a small artist brush. The damp cloth is to wipe the powder off the brush and my finger.
The smoked chrome looks great, the first set I did had a couple pits in the casting and the coverage of the black was a little thin in the sides. The second set turn out fantastic, did a little research and know how to fix the pits in the aluminum now.

Those came out great!

I've been eyeing up that gun for the last few months, Lucky for me the wife wants a new gas stove so I have been very passionately looking for a new oven for her. :D

If you’re looking for things to coat I have some calipers and valve covers I want to get done. Maybe do some trading.

You know what parts I'd like to get :)
None I really need but they would make life easier for what I want to do.
If summer would ever get here that would make life easier to..lol
Let me know what and what color, I also have a color chart here; you can also look on eastwoods site.
I'm game.

OMG. I was totally getting that way with just running stuff to my powdercoaters. I have enough of the Purple Starlight left after doing my engine to coat my beach cruiser... and maybe the barbecue... and maybe my shop stool. :D

OMG. I was totally getting that way with just running stuff to my powdercoaters. I have enough of the Purple Starlight left after doing my engine to coat my beach cruiser... and maybe the barbecue... and maybe my shop stool. :D

Its really dangerous when you own one and can coat anything you want.

I'm off Sunday and Monday, I'll have to see if I can get some other parts done.

Excellent job, BTW. I like that look for those covers much better than stock. Great choices on the colors! I could only imagine me with powdercoating capabilities. I guess you are confined only by the size of your oven. :D Jealous. :p

I really need to finish my oven..... :( 36 x 39 x 60 internal.... 12K watts... 50 amps... I've got all the wiring and controls, have the insulation and framework built. Need all the sheet stock still.

Looks great!

Jason, what do you use to clean your parts? Do you have a cabinet or a wash tank? I’m looking at getting a blast cabinet to clean these parts up.

I degrease all the parts and blast them with aluminum oxide. Wash all the parts with hot water and soap then degas them in the oven.

Members online

Back