Okey Dokey: found my power steering leak. *pics*

Myco

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
I think the pictures give you a good idea of where the leak is at.

The leak is traveling down the base of the steering column so I'm betting it's the connection of one of these hoses going to the steering column.

Looking at the diagram the part numbers:

3a713 3a719 are the two metal hoses that attach to the steering column (at the bottom).

Anyone ever replaced one or both of these metal tubes while the k-member and engine still in the car?

It's either I replace it or a mechanic does and I'm scared of a mechanic touching it now. (plus the 1000$ bill).

2011-07-29120706.jpg

2011-07-29120725.jpg

I just replaced the power steering pump and pressure hose about 3 weeks ago. It took most of the day but can be done. You need to pull the pulley off with a tool you can rent from Autozone ($40.00). Once that is out the way taking the pressure line off the pump is easy. The hard part is at the rack. I was able to put a vice grip on one side of the connection and then just work the line off with short turns. Its an 18mm. If you can get get a shorty that might help. You will need to remove the oil filter. To get to the fitting..........To take it to a shop the Motors labor guide is 2.8 hours. So you are at least looking at 3 hours labor. Buy your parts first and then take it to the mechanic. Make sure you get your parts back. I do not trust mechanics. The labor was for pump and line. FYI. Might as well get them both done at the same time. So the only thing that they can charge you for is labor. The pump has a core charge. So you need to take that back to the store you got it from. Hope this helps.

No it's the other side of that metal tube where it attaches to the steering rack. The leak is coming down the steering rack.

I just replaced the power steering pump and pressure hose about 3 weeks ago. It took most of the day but can be done. You need to pull the pulley off with a tool you can rent from Autozone ($40.00). Once that is out the way taking the pressure line off the pump is easy. The hard part is at the rack. I was able to put a vice grip on one side of the connection and then just work the line off with short turns. Its an 18mm. If you can get get a shorty that might help. You will need to remove the oil filter. To get to the fitting..........To take it to a shop the Motors labor guide is 2.8 hours. So you are at least looking at 3 hours labor. Buy your parts first and then take it to the mechanic. Make sure you get your parts back. I do not trust mechanics. The labor was for pump and line. FYI. Might as well get them both done at the same time. So the only thing that they can charge you for is labor. The pump has a core charge. So you need to take that back to the store you got it from. Hope this helps.

If I could I'd buy you a coffee for that piece of advice. :)

Members online

No members online now.
Back