Oil Leak "not from oil filter adapter"

smokn87stang

New LVC Member
Reaction score
My car is cursed. It's a 1996 base model mark viii with 117k miles on it. I bought it in Sept '07 from a neighbor that babied it over 10 years with no oil leaks for a month until I had oil changed. Had a quick lube station change oil (lazy me) with castrol 5w-30 synthetic blend and it started leaking a day or 2 afterwards. Got underneath and found oil seeping a bit from oil filter adapter, and also oil drops hanging from the last 2 bolts in oil pan closest to the transmission bell housing(arrhh!):soapbox: . Bought the filter adapter gasket and replaced it (not easy) at the same time I replaced the front 02 sensors (insanely hard). Since then, the engine block in that area is dry as a bone :) . Unfortunately :( I still get the oil drops hanging from the 2 rear pan bolts. Retorqued pan bolts that I could reach myself, and changed pcv valve (just in case is bad). I may be deluting myself here, but before I blame the rear main seal, any suggestions you could offer before I start contemplating on dropping the tranny is appreciated. Sorry about the novel. Happy new year by the way!
Phil

Generally speaking these engines don't have rear main seal issues. Are you sure what you are experiencing is not just a case of oil that gets spilled onto the cross member during a filter change migrating back to the location you have described. You might also pull the inspecrion plug on the bell housing and see if it's wet in there from maybe a leaky pump seal. Or maybe double check your power steeing lines etc.

Thanks for your response, I appreciate it very much. I can defenitely say that I've done some wiping as best as I could since I changed the oil filter adapter gasket over a month ago. I do have a small p/s leakage going on, but it's coming from the p/s pump itself and I'm wondering if the p/s has a peep hole under the pump housing. It looks like every time I wipe it clean, next day it looks wet underneath the p/s housing. The p/s fluid does migrate down the high pressure hose that runs parallel to the back of the radiator, but I just can't see that oil migrating all the way back to the rear pan bolts.
On the other hand, last week I pulled the bell housing plug to see if it was wet, but couldn't see engine oil in there. The torque converter looked pretty clean to me. A flash light looking between the tranny and the engine gap shows me oil/dirt buid up over the years, but it doesn't look wet at all. The only thing I can think of is buying some of that fluorecent oil and run the car for a while and see how it goes, but I guess one thing I could do is take it to the dealer, have them diagnose it, and if it's something I can do, then I could take care of it myself.

sure about that..what about on the 98's gen 2 ? mine was replaced @ or around 70k.now im up to 139 n got that leak again....and that i beleive it's tranny fluid again...stang..what color is the oil you see again for your issue?

Members online

No members online now.
Back