oil leak from hell!!!

02LS8Lincoln

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
Ive got this critical oil leak thats driving me nuts. It doesnt leak it gushes out. I raised the car today and the leak is coming from on top of the oil filter. Where can this leak be coming from? I have no clue. My mechanic said that the car needs a new oil pan. So I already got the pan to get it installed. But this oil leak is just driving me nuts. I was planning on painting my driveway but I cant b/c this darn car just keeps leaking oil. Im bummed out and dont know what to do.

Check the oil filter itself, then check the oil filter adapter gasket. (behind the oil filter)

Oil filter adapter gasket leaks are pretty common and they can be BIG leaks!

(mine let go without warning and had me cleaning a brand new driveway for 4 hours!)

oh yeah man my driveway is ruined so when i do get it fixed im going to have to clean the driveway and then repaint it....its ruined. is it hard to change the oil filter gasket?

I'll be doing mine (along with many other gaskets) with the engine out of the car, so I can't give experience. Others who've done it in the regular way said it's tricky, but not that hard. As usual, lack of room is the enemy.

There is a step by step write up on it on .org:

http://www.markviii.org/LOD2/oil_filter_gasket.html

OMG i was hoping that it was this gasket instead of having to bring down the kmember to replace the oil pan.

Oil filter adapter gasket, hiss evil project in the car. Til you've done it once. I invented new cuss words that time.

1. Raise and support the vehicle.

2. Remove the oil pan drain plug and drain the engine oil.

3. Remove the oil bypass filter (6714).

4. Disconnect the oil pressure sensor wiring.

5. Remove the bolts and remove the oil filter adapter (6881).

6. If necessary, remove the oil pressure sensor (9278) from the oil filter adapter.

INSTALLATION

1. Follow the removal procedure in reverse order.

Instructions make it sound so easy don't they.:D

I didn't know it was that bad bro. You need to call Danny, tel lhim you will pay him, he will hook you up cheap man! Trust me. He already told me he'd help you for free so all you gotta do is throw in some cash & you'll be fine! Find out if he's free next weekend or he may ask you to take a weekday off.

Alex the good thing is that its not the oil pan....while I was under the car yesterday I looked at everything and its only leaking from behind the oil filter so its gotta be the oil filter adapter gasket. I didnt see any oil leaking from the oil pan.

it is not that hard to do, it just takes a little time-if you can change your oil, you can do this-I don't know where those instructions came from, but you have to drain coolant first, you do not have to change the oil (but since you take off the oil filter you may as well)-only 4 bolts hold the adapter plate to the block, and they are tricky but not impossible to remove-extensions will be needed with swivel heads, and it is easier if you remove the driver side front tire so you can get to bolts through cutouts on the frame. Probably the toughest part is getting it back together, and I used a light coating of gasket cement to hold the new gasket to the housing while I got the bolts started. If you take your time, it'll take a couple of hours tops-I am sure I could do it in less than an hour, it is just a PITA job-don't forget, when you finally get too the point that you remove the housing from the block, you will get an antifreeze bath from what is trapped behind the housing. Just be ready to roll out of the way.:D:eek:

You forgot to take off driver's side tire so you can access the bolts through the access holes in the fender.

1. Raise and support the vehicle.

2. Remove the oil pan drain plug and drain the engine oil.

3. Remove the oil bypass filter (6714).

4. Disconnect the oil pressure sensor wiring.

5. Remove the bolts and remove the oil filter adapter (6881).

6. If necessary, remove the oil pressure sensor (9278) from the oil filter adapter.

INSTALLATION

1. Follow the removal procedure in reverse order.

Instructions make it sound so easy don't they.:D

ummm im going to let my mechanic handle this one.....thanks for the help but i dont have the time nor room at my house to do this task.

ummm im going to let my mechanic handle this one.....thanks for the help but i dont have the time nor room at my house to do this task.

Oh are you going to get stuck with a bill. This is an easy job... Yes maybe a little fustrating to get the gasket in but if you get a case of beer and a good friend the extra hand will make this job fast.

Oh don't drink the beer until after the job is done.

when i did mine i drained the water too.... didnt take much but i had access to all the required tools and a lift and im not afraid to tackle most projects when it comes to the cars

I think im going to let my mechanic handle this one.

Don't do it! It'll take you maybe an hour in your driveway. I did mine at home. It was a serious PITA, but it saved me $200 bucks. The gasket is only like $6 bucks at NAPA. Do it yourself and save cash. The mechanic will break one off in ya, I promise.

Members online

Back