Oil Leak - Cam sensors? 03 LS V8

bgjersey30

LVC Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

Has anybody had the oil leaking from the cam sensors? I think that what they are. Its the plug on top of the valve cover at the front of the engine close to the fan. There are two of them (one of each side). The tech advisor at the dealership said that they were cam sensors but he didnt sound too confident.

If so, have you had these leak oil and what is the remedy?

Thanks for the input?

Yes, I've had a leak there.
It's an o-ring that needs to be replaced. You'd be wise to replace the valve cover gaskets while you're at it. The cover has to come off to replace the o-ring.
They're not sensors, they're solenoid valves for the VCT (variable cam timing) control. (To be fair, some service manuals do call them sensors. However, they don't sense anything, but they do control something.)

Yes, I've had a leak there.
It's an o-ring that needs to be replaced. You'd be wise to replace the valve cover gaskets while you're at it. The cover has to come off to replace the o-ring.
They're not sensors, they're solenoid valves for the VCT (variable cam timing) control. (To be fair, some service manuals do call them sensors. However, they don't sense anything, but they do control something.)

Do I order the O-rings separate from the valve cover gasket o-rings?

Thanks for the input!

mine is doing this on the drivers side. just a little bit of oil coming out. so my question do i take the valve covers off or can i just seal with rtv without taking valve covers off?

mine is doing this on the drivers side. just a little bit of oil coming out. so my question do i take the valve covers off or can i just seal with rtv without taking valve covers off?

You can try that, but I doubt it will work.
You might try this instead.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0000AXYZG/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00
I haven't tried it on anything yet, but some people with BMWs swear that it cures oil pan gasket leaks just by painting it around the edges of the oil pan after cleaning off the oil using brake cleaner. It's cheap, so I figure what do I have to loose compared to the extreme grief of getting the oil pan off of it. (Getting the oil pan off a V8 LS is very easy.)

Anyway, I suspect that you would be better off to replace the valve cover gaskets and the VCT o-rings. It's not an impossible job.

How critical is it to get those replaced?

My valve cover gaskets are fine (for now).

is it just a mess issue or can something fail with these leaking?

valva.jpg

Not critical at all. It just makes a little mess.

Mine sprays a little.. I am guessing under WOT.

Are there two camshaft position sensors on a 2004 LS V8?

Is there just one crankshaft position sensor on a 2004 LS V8? Thanks

Ok, I just looked at fordparts.com and found my answers.

Is there just one crankshaft position sensor on a 2004 LS V8? Thanks

For anyone else...

There are two, one on each bank.
They are not sensors, they don't sense anything. (Some parts catalogs do call them that.)
They hydraulic solenoid valves. They control valve timing.

(Note, there are two camshaft position sensors, one for each bank. However, these are not the things that come out the top of the valve covers at the front and leak.)

Joegr, should I replace these three parts (camshaft/crankshaft) too with the tune-up?

Joegr, should I replace these three parts (camshaft/crankshaft) too with the tune-up?

I'm not sure what three parts you are talking about...

Camshaft - There are four of them. They are wear items, but I don't know of anyone ever having to replace them.

Camshaft position sensors (two) - CMP - No need to replace unless they fail.

Variable Camshaft Timing control solenoids (VCT) - there are two of these. I haven't heard of any failing. The leak comes from an o-ring between them and the valve covers. Just replace the 0-rings if you have a leak.

Crankshaft - I don't think you can even get one. If you need that, replace the engine.

Crankshaft Position Sensor (CKP) - Failure is rare with these. I see no need to replace it if it is working correctly.

Sorry, the three parts were the two camshaft position sensors and the one crankshaft position sensor (or the hydraulic solenoid valve).

Sorry, the three parts were the two camshaft position sensors and the one crankshaft position sensor (or the hydraulic solenoid valve).

Still confused. There are two hydraulic solenoid valves, and there are two camshaft position sensors. These are not the same thing. You are naming off five parts. None of these are typically replaced before they fail, if they ever fail. They are not wear items.

At first I was asking how many camshaft position sensors and crankshaft position sensors I have in my 04 LS V8? Then I went to fordparts.com and found the answer.

Then you stated the crankshaft position sensor isn't really a sensor, it's a hydraulic solenoid valve. So that's what I called it in my last post.

I was just asking if these parts should be replaced with a tune-up?

Just to confirm: I have two camshaft position sensors & one crankshaft position sensor, right?

Anyway, you have now stated that these parts do not wear out and I don't have to waste my time with them unless they are not working. So thanks, you have answered my question.

At first I was asking how many camshaft position sensors and crankshaft position sensors I have in my 04 LS V8? Then I went to fordparts.com and found the answer.

Then you stated the crankshaft position sensor isn't really a sensor, it's a hydraulic solenoid valve. So that's what I called it in my last post.

I was just asking if these parts should be replaced with a tune-up?

Just to confirm: I have two camshaft position sensors & one crankshaft position sensor, right?

Anyway, you have now stated that these parts do not wear out and I don't have to waste my time with them unless they are not working. So thanks, you have answered my question.

I don't know how it all got twisted around. I'll try again.

This thread was/is about the VCT solenoids, so I assumed you were talking about those, or you would have started a new thread.

Variable Camshaft Timing control solenoids (VCT) - there are two of these.

Camshaft position sensors - there are two of these, they are known as CMPs

Crankshaft Position Sensor - there is one of these, it is known as CKP

You are right, I didn't want to start a new thread since I was talking about camshaft position sensors.

It's all good now, you have answered my questions and I know everything I need to at this point.

I just wish you lived close by so you could take care of this for me! Thanks :)

Sorry to bump an old-ish thread...

leak_zps9a86ac5b.jpg

Variable Camshaft Timing control solenoids (VCT) - there are two of these. I haven't heard of any failing. The leak comes from an o-ring between them and the valve covers. Just replace the 0-rings if you have a leak.

is there like a part # of these o-rings? I'm going to be doing VCGs soon and these leak a bit on mine. Wanted to get them done while I was at it.

Thanks for any help.

I was under the impression these came with the set. When the dealer did my vcgs, they did these as well and there wasn't an extra charge.

I was under the impression these came with the set. When the dealer did my vcgs, they did these as well and there wasn't an extra charge.

I thought so too, but the parts illustration doesn't show it in the VCG set. The illustration could be wrong though.

Help me understand?

- so if my oil is leaking from these two places (which mines are), all i have to do is replace the gaskets and not the sensors themselves?

Members online

No members online now.
Back