Oil filter adapter gasket

Lownslowlsc

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
Appears to be dripping (oil/coolant) slowly from said area. Buddy has a heated garage and is going to check it out for me on Tuesday. I've seen some confusion on the correct gasket to get. I'd like oem, searched and didn't find what I was looking for, anyone got a part #?

Thanks, putting in the part # gave me more usefull info on said repair aswell. I'm not bothering with it though. I'm going to spend 40 bucks on a filter/oil/gasket and coolant and throw my buddy 50 bucks, he can deal with the mess and frustration. :)

It's not that hard ... and $40 .. wow .. never paid that much for the process.

40 is for the supplies, figure:

10 gasket
20 oil change
10 coolant

Calls for 1.2 hours iirc, my buddy usually (depending on job) charges 40-50 /hr.
Total= $90 parts/labor

He makes good money for a hours~ work and I save 260 bucks. He's saved my family(and me) thousands of dollars in the last 3-4 years.

Pepboys wanted $350.

Well I don't include the oil change that's just the best time to do the change.

I just changed my oil a month back so i'm sol on that one. I don't want to prolong the repair till it's time to change it again. Last thing I need is for it to start gushing out like i've heard happening to people in the past.

She'll be good as new in a couple weeks.

That's what happened to me. Just opened up in my grandparents driveway. Now that that's been fixed, I just noticed today a probable rear main leak. That's wonderful, hahaha.

That oil filter adapter gasket leak is a common problem on ALL 4.6L engines, I've changed them several times at the shop.

Fel-Pro 70415 Gasket:
4.jpg

I have a spare one of these that i picked up brand new in a junkyard car. I guess they never got around to it. lol. It's ready just in case i ever have that problem again. It's a frustrating hour of your time. Probably worth the money. :D

I changed the one on my old '96 a few years back. It's a PITA, but it can be done in one's driveway in about an hour. Knock on wood, the '97 hasn't started leaking yet. I'm not looking forward to doing another one.

I think you guys may have just identified my oil leak. I havent been able to pinpoint it but since it seems to be coming from toward the fron of the engine but on the bottome I think this is it. Anyone have any pics of the problem? Just want to see if there is anyting I should be looking for.

Mainly look for oil dripping from and around the oil pressure sending unit. I thought my sender was leaking until I replaced it twice and the leak kept getting worse. Then I replaced the adapter gasket and voila!! Fixed.

Mines leaking down from the filter area onto the k member. Typically where the excess oil drains when changing the filter..

It does appear like its coming from the filter area. But when you look closely, it's around that filter housing area. Someone should do a writeup on it. :D

When I first bought my 97, back in 2008, the oil filter adapter gasket was toast. Didn't leak at all when the car was off, but leaked like crazy when it was running. I bought the stuff to do it, but before I got around to it, someone backed into my 98, putting it into the body shop (for a whole month!).

Since time was essential (I needed the 97 running, so I could drive to work), I took it (and the parts/coolant) to the "Pit Stop" service center down the street. An hour later, they were done, and only charged me $69. I was glad to pay that small amount of money and not have to do it myself.

I was able to drive the 97 to work, the next day, and not lose half of my engine oil on the way...

...An hour later, they were done, and only charged me $69. I was glad to pay that small amount of money and not have to do it myself....

WOW!!! $69 bucks?!?!? Just...WOW! I did mine myself because the shop I usually use was going to charge me $250 bucks! They said they would have to remove the power steering pump and undo the motor mount and jack the engine up to get to it. Then they said it would take an hour just to change it out then they'd have to put everything back together again. Bah! I changed it out in less than an hour in the driveway and didn't have to move or remove anything to get to it (well, except for some skin and blood from my knuckles:D)!!

I think I may give it a try this weekend. mine also seems to leak only when running. Hopefully its just that and not anything else. Im just gettign used to this car and knowing where everythigns at so hopefully this will solve it.

Mine was leaking then when I started it up during lunch at work it just dumped everything in the lot :eek:

Went to Flemington Ford, Lincoln, Merc dealer to get a new gasket and swapped it in on the lift at the end of the day. I was pretty pissed that something like that could happen out of the blue :mad:

Mine was leaking then when I started it up during lunch at work it just dumped everything in the lot :eek:

Went to Flemington Ford, Lincoln, Merc dealer to get a new gasket and swapped it in on the lift at the end of the day. I was pretty pissed that something like that could happen out of the blue :mad:

Wow, that does suck. It also pisses me off that it could lose all the oil that quickly. Just knowing it can do that out of the blue has had me worried since I bought the car.

Members online

Back