Odd Sound After Suspension Work

myfirstlincoln

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
Just recently had the front LCAs replaced with Moog ones as well as the lower ball joints - they removed the old ball joints from the knuckle and pressed in new Moog ball joints. After getting the car back, I've noticed a noise in the front ehelnd which seems to be coming from the driver's side front wheel. It kinda sounds like a water sprinkler "tiss, tiss, tiss" type noise or if you were a kid and put a baseball card in the spokes of your bike. The noise only seems present after the car gets warm (20+ mins of driving) and it can only be heard when coasting or slowing down around 25-40mph. I've also noticed it seems to get louder when turning left and goes away when turning right. It also increases with acceleration, but can only be heard at lower speeds (25-40). I'm not sure if the sound is there at higher speeds or if I just can't hear it, but it seems to disappear. I already took it back to the Ford dealer where I had the suspension work done and, of course, they claim they can't hear anything and have no idea what I'm talking about.

Any ideas of what to look for? I visually inspected the other day and didn't see anything odd, but I plan to jack it up this weekend and take a closer look.

Sounds like something coming from the rotation of the wheel when in motion as you described.

perhaps try taking the wheel off on the drivers side and clean up the back side of the rim where it meet the hub, clean off the hub in between the studs as well.

Use a steel wired brush and refasten wheel, making sure you tighten the lug nuts on in a star formation, ensuring even clamping force.

While you have the wheel off, have a look at the brakes. Might even be as simple as low brake pads.

keep us posted.

THANKS GUYS! I'll check it out today. I was planning on taking the wheel off to ensure they mounted the wheel properly because the Jags I have do require some close attention. I just hope they didn't torque my lugs stupid tight - I've personally had the wheels on and off 50ish times since I've had the car and have always used the star pattern and never overtighten. The car was inspected less than a month ago and without finding the paper, they told me the pads looked good and had 70%+ life left. Nick - are you talking about the backing plate on the brake? I'll definitely check that out since they told me they had a hell of a time getting the old ball joints out so I'm pretty sure they weren't terribly careful.

Thanks again!

he meant "backing plate" as in the dust shield! (I think)

like so:
stock-brake-dust-shields-diagram.gif

they can end up rubbing on the rotor when bent.

stock-brake-dust-shields-diagram.gif

That's what I figured he meant - thanks for the illustration! Unfortunately it's pouring here so it looks like it'll have to wait until tomorrow.

Hmmmm...so I had the tire off and visually inspected and all seemed pretty normal. I checked the back of the rim to see if anything was rubbing (and since its plastidipped I figured I would see where it was rubbing/peeling). I checked the brake shield and it wasn't bent or teaching the rotor anywhere. I spun the wheel and everything seemed fine. I cleaned everything up and I guess I'll check to see if it still makes the sound tomorrow on my way to work.

Mystery continues. See if Hite has time to look at it, though you were close nearby him.

or wheel bearing/wheel hub play

More noise with side-loading the wheel in one direction versus another points to a wheel bearing. The light noise is also something a wheel bearing would make.

But brakes could have similar symptoms. Double check the run-out on the rotor. It could be something as simple as they didn't index it when they took it off so the run-out is now off and needs to bed back down. Do the brakes pulsate any at all now where they didn't before? Or they pretty much feel and act the same?

More noise with side-loading the wheel in one direction versus another points to a wheel bearing. The light noise is also something a wheel bearing would make.

Agreed this to be the likely case.

I think you need to take the hub bearing assembly out (or doing may make life easier) to replace the lower ball joints. Its possible they may have damaged the hub and the wheel speed sensor inside. Ask how I know

It could also simply be rust on the rotor hitting the caliper or pad. Hit the rotor with a wire brush or screwdriver. If the noise is still there, take the caliper off and spin the bearing.

Members online

No members online now.
Back