Odd noise after replacing belt, idler pully & belt tensioner

Uberck

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, can anyone please pinpoint what exactly the noise in the video is?
The old belt shredded to pieces because of a bad tensioner.
So I had my mechanic replace the idler pulley, tensioner, and belt.
The weather has been below freezing here in Massachusetts.
Now on cold start, the following noise happens:
https://goo.gl/photos/cxkq9UyrPvYBargy8

It sounds to be something in sync with the belt and accessories.

If you say this noise is new since that last belt shredded, possibly have that same mechanic check everything around it and double check the tentioner and idler pulley. It's always possible a bad bearing on a part. I'd have a very close look at the tentioner.

If you want to do this yourself, remove the belt and spin everything by hand, see what makes noise or feels to have some resistance. When it's cold out of course.

EDIT ----

At 9-11 seconds in video, I do believe I hear a rattling clattering tentioner. Sounds like it's binding.

Last edited:
I wonder if the tensioner wasn't bolted-in, correctly. I'd also make sure that the idler was the correct part. I've received the wrong one before.

Yes, I recall the tentioner through bolt needing careful alignment as it was prone to want to turn in on a slight angle. For my '01 I received an Idler pulley which was taller then the original coming out. OEM Ford from Rockauto but it worked nonetheless.

It sounds to be something in sync with the belt and accessories.

If you say this noise is new since that last belt shredded, possibly have that same mechanic check everything around it and double check the tentioner and idler pulley. It's always possible a bad bearing on a part. I'd have a very close look at the tentioner.

If you want to do this yourself, remove the belt and spin everything by hand, see what makes noise or feels to have some resistance. When it's cold out of course.

EDIT ----

At 9-11 seconds in video, I do believe I hear a rattling clattering tentioner. Sounds like it's binding.

RigsLS, the mechanic ordered the parts. I paid him $275 for a new belt, tensioner, and idler pulley + labor. I'm assuming by tensioner in your edit you're referring to the belt tensioner?

My uncle seems to think it may be the upper timing chain tensioner. We have already ordered the replacement chain tensioners and valve cover gaskets and will be replacing this weekend.

You have a strong feeling it's still something related to the belt system?

I wonder if the tensioner wasn't bolted-in, correctly. I'd also make sure that the idler was the correct part. I've received the wrong one before.

Hmmm, after he put it on, I let the car sit overnight. The following morning, the belt came off right when I started the car. I promptly drove there without the belt (only 1 block away) and had him fix it. I drove home and noticed this noise the following morning.

So I should go back to him and have him go through it? You guys think its the belt system and not the upper timing chain tensioner?

Seems too loud for the timing chains. Something was done seriously wrong for the belt to come off. Perhaps it is less seriously wrong now.

Oh boy, that's great. I'll go there tomorrow morning when its cold and show him the video.

So:

1. Make sure the idler pulley is correct part.
2. Make sure tensioner is on correctly.

Anything else?

Thanks for all the help guys (and girls)!

Might even be a not-so-good brand on the belt tentioner that was installed.

275 for parts and labor or,
275 just parts then labor?

275 for parts & labor so 275 cash total I paid. I spoke to the mechanic, I'll see him tomorrow in the AM.

popcorn.png

Seems more then fair with the labor in.
Hope he put OEM parts in, either or let him have another look at it.

OEM Motorcraft parts from rock auto could equal $275 with labor. being that it seems that the "turn around" time from the shop was rather quick... I'd guess cheap aftermartket parts, (and more than likely a short/wrong belt... causing a bearing to fail. from location of noise... I'd almost guess alternator.

Hello @Uberck ? For some reason I want to know ... how'd you make out on this? OEM parts or not?

Hi guys, sorry for the late response! Yea we got a lot of snow here recently.
The sound is gone now. The 2nd trip to the mechanic resolved it. The tensioner is new, idler pulley is new, and belt is new, as it was the first time around.
I'm going to conclude that the highest probability was a wrong belt as it is clearly the only thing that was changed since the previous visit.
The belt had slipped after the first visit (probably wrong size or poorly placed!)
So as of now, a new belt, tensioner, and idler pulley resolved the issue.
I was in CT and we ended doing the upper timing chain (secondary timing chain) guard on both sides as we had already ordered the parts.

Right on, glad to hear, so it was all related to the accessory drive system.

odd that you felt the need to go in and do secondary timing chain and tentioners on a 2nd GEN LS, these are not known to have wear issues such as the 1st GEN's do.

It was mentioned as a possible culprit earlier in this thread. I ordered the parts after the first mechanic visit, thinking that since the noise was still going on, it couldn't be related to belt/accessories.
The parts came fast, before the 2nd visit, so we just went ahead and installed them.
So now I have:
New tensioner
New belt
New idler pulley
New valve cover seal set
New secondary tensioners

Members online

No members online now.
Back