Novice Here! Need Advice!

lincoln_mk8

LVC Member
Reaction score
Hello, This is my first post, but I wanted to ask a few questions. I purchased a 1994 Lincoln Mark VIII about Feb. of last year (2003). Its had its share of maintainance needs which I've been more than happy to perform (tranny, oil pan, brakes, etc). But I got it for a steel, at $3800.00 USD and around 170K miles. I consider myself lucky that I was able to find such an fine car at that price and in very good condition. This is a car I consider to be a "Gentleman's Sports Car". It couples style & class with speed & performance. Its also a car I've eyed since '95 when I saw my first breath-taking glimpse at a gorgeous black Mark VIII. And I fell in love instantly. It looked like something out of a concept car magazine!

With that said, it becomes obvious that this is a car I DO NOT want to lose anytime soon (or ever, if I can get some things straight with it). I have some items I'm having a difficult time locating at reasonable prices.

1. Driver's side auto-tint mirror
2. Rearview auto-tint mirror
3. free-flow cat. converters
4. high-flow fuel injectors
5. icebox air filter encolsure
6. the RIGHT Flow Master dual or 3 chamber mufflers (the ones that have good sound when ripping up the road, but are quiet enough when idling)

In addition, I really want to make this car more unique in its exterior styling. I have the white opalescent paint job with very unattractive blue and gold colored racing stripes on either side which are fading and peeling. (looks very tacky)

Id like to know how to remove these racing stripes without damaging the paint job, which is in nearly immaculate condition.

Id also like to know where I can find both exterior and interior accessories such as side skirts, custom style bumpers (front and back), compatible wheels (rims) for flare, back-lit lincoln emblems to place in a few attractive places on the car, and other such highlights.

Another thing is the HID's that I'd like to equipt my car with. The best price I've seen so far is $1000.00 USD for a pair of replacement HID's. Thats outrageous! (haha)

There are SO many things I want to do with this car. I love it to death.

In the 5 cars I've owned, this car is definitely the best. (Coming from a 1990 Buick GS - which was a fantastic ride, and sported a powerful 3.8L 235HP V6, 1971 Cadillac 2-door Deville Coupe, 1996 Toyota 4-Runner SR5 - a very FUN vehicle by the way, and a 1998 Toyota Camry with a 4-banger in it - dont ask, haha) Overall, this Mark VIII has been a dream car that sports 300HP of straight-up American V8 power, a superb, comfortable ride, and is EXCELLENT on long trips. I think it just needs a little polishing around a few rough edges.

I've been searching for places to get advice and some experienced knowledge on these hotrod lincolns, and I came across this place.

Am I in the right place? :)

:feed

For most of the parts, I would say start by calling 5 star ford-www.fivestarford.com (see ad on the right of this page) Maxx has the best prices around for OEM...... And also call Geno at Lincoln MotorSport -www.lincolnmotorsport.com- (add also on the right on this page) for performance parts and expert advice about the Lincoln Mark VIII

Be sure to tell them both you came from LincolnvsCadillac.com - they'll treat you right.

lincoln_mk8 said:
Hello, This is my first post, but I wanted to ask a few questions. I purchased a 1994 Lincoln Mark VIII about Feb. of last year (2003). Its had its share of maintainance needs which I've been more than happy to perform (tranny, oil pan, brakes, etc). But I got it for a steel, at $3800.00 USD and around 170K miles. I consider myself lucky that I was able to find such an fine car at that price and in very good condition. This is a car I consider to be a "Gentleman's Sports Car". It couples style & class with speed & performance. Its also a car I've eyed since '95 when I saw my first breath-taking glimpse at a gorgeous black Mark VIII. And I fell in love instantly. It looked like something out of a concept car magazine!

With that said, it becomes obvious that this is a car I DO NOT want to lose anytime soon (or ever, if I can get some things straight with it). I have some items I'm having a difficult time locating at reasonable prices.

1. Driver's side auto-tint mirror
2. Rearview auto-tint mirror
3. free-flow cat. converters
4. high-flow fuel injectors
5. icebox air filter encolsure
6. the RIGHT Flow Master dual or 3 chamber mufflers (the ones that have good sound when ripping up the road, but are quiet enough when idling)

In addition, I really want to make this car more unique in its exterior styling. I have the white opalescent paint job with very unattractive blue and gold colored racing stripes on either side which are fading and peeling. (looks very tacky)

Id like to know how to remove these racing stripes without damaging the paint job, which is in nearly immaculate condition.

Id also like to know where I can find both exterior and interior accessories such as side skirts, custom style bumpers (front and back), compatible wheels (rims) for flare, back-lit lincoln emblems to place in a few attractive places on the car, and other such highlights.

Another thing is the HID's that I'd like to equipt my car with. The best price I've seen so far is $1000.00 USD for a pair of replacement HID's. Thats outrageous! (haha)

There are SO many things I want to do with this car. I love it to death.

In the 5 cars I've owned, this car is definitely the best. (Coming from a 1990 Buick GS - which was a fantastic ride, and sported a powerful 3.8L 235HP V6, 1971 Cadillac 2-door Deville Coupe, 1996 Toyota 4-Runner SR5 - a very FUN vehicle by the way, and a 1998 Toyota Camry with a 4-banger in it - dont ask, haha) Overall, this Mark VIII has been a dream car that sports 300HP of straight-up American V8 power, a superb, comfortable ride, and is EXCELLENT on long trips. I think it just needs a little polishing around a few rough edges.

I've been searching for places to get advice and some experienced knowledge on these hotrod lincolns, and I came across this place.

Am I in the right place? :)

:feed

Try www.car-parts.com for some of those items.....as well as others....very reasonable prices (if you look long enuf...and hard enuf).....hope that helps!

This is my Mark VIII:

lincoln_01.jpg

Any possibilities of expertise on FlowMaster mufflers for a Mark VIII? They have so many models that it's difficult to choose which one might provide the right sound. I've been looking for mufflers that will provide a decently quiet ride in low RPMs, but has a significant growl when it's tearing up the streets *grin*

These are two pics of the bad pin striping that I want to remove from my car on both sides. It has definitely seen better days, but frankly, I can't stand pin striping. Any way of getting this off the car without ruining the paint job?

bad_pin_striping_01.jpg

bad_pin_striping_02.jpg

The place that details my car removed the pin stripes from my '93.

DynoMax UltraFlows are purportedly one of the best sounding mufflers for the Mark VIII.

High Flow injectors are not needed for stock to mildly modified applications.

Lot of parts are sold on auction sites such as eBay. Be sure to occasionally visit the For Sale section of the board.

:waving:

the bad pin stripes can be removed with an eraser sold by eastwood or any auto paint store, the eraser can be fitted on a drill and it will not damage the paint if used with care. :give :Beer :biggrin:

lincoln_mk8 said:
Any possibilities of expertise on FlowMaster mufflers for a Mark VIII? They have so many models that it's difficult to choose which one might provide the right sound. I've been looking for mufflers that will provide a decently quiet ride in low RPMs, but has a significant growl when it's tearing up the streets *grin*
Check out Geno @ LincolnMotorsports. He has those totally nasty(good) new mufflers coming back in stock that make the Mark truly awesome sounding. He has some pics and soundbites in the Exhaust section. Check it out. I personally would stay away from the Flowmasters. From what I can tell, they don't use any rockwool, so the glass that they use becomes "packed down" and within a couple months, the sound turns somewhat unpleasant. I do not know this from personal experience, only from what I have heard from others, so take it with a grain of salt. I say Geno, Magnaflow and DynoMax, in that order.

Thank you, everyone, for the very helpful responses. I think this has just become my new home! *grin*

MonsterMark said:
Check out Geno @ LincolnMotorsports. He has those totally nasty(good) new mufflers coming back in stock that make the Mark truly awesome sounding. He has some pics and soundbites in the Exhaust section. Check it out. I personally would stay away from the Flowmasters. From what I can tell, they don't use any rockwool, so the glass that they use becomes "packed down" and within a couple months, the sound turns somewhat unpleasant. I do not know this from personal experience, only from what I have heard from others, so take it with a grain of salt. I say Geno, Magnaflow and DynoMax, in that order.

Flowmaster doesnt use any kind of insulation TO pack down.They get their sound from internal baffles.
But you are right they sound like crapola on a MarkVIII.

Members online

No members online now.
Back