No heat in my LS and it's cold

macc

LVC Member
Reaction score
I have a 2001 LS I bought in March of 2016. It was still "cold weather" when I got it and the heater blew good and hot when I used the heater. A month ago we had a rather cold day and when I turned on the heater all I got was cold air. The blower works good just no heat. Online I read that it could be the dual coolant flow valve, most mechanics are telling me it's probably the the heater core is plugged. When the engine is warm, the 3 lines that run from the flow valve to the heater core are very warm. Is this dual coolant flow valve also known as the DCCV? I checked the fuse and it's good. I don't want to unneccesarily buy a lot of parts trying to get heat back in the car if I don't have to, but it's getting cold in PA and I need heat. If anyone can give me direction here I would appreciate it, THANKS

I have a 2001 LS I bought in March of 2016. It was still "cold weather" when I got it and the heater blew good and hot when I used the heater. A month ago we had a rather cold day and when I turned on the heater all I got was cold air. The blower works good just no heat. Online I read that it could be the dual coolant flow valve, most mechanics are telling me it's probably the the heater core is plugged. When the engine is warm, the 3 lines that run from the flow valve to the heater core are very warm. Is this dual coolant flow valve also known as the DCCV? I checked the fuse and it's good. I don't want to unneccesarily buy a lot of parts trying to get heat back in the car if I don't have to, but it's getting cold in PA and I need heat. If anyone can give me direction here I would appreciate it, THANKS

No heat is usually the thermostat. Be prepared to replace all the plastic cooling parts; unless that was done recently.

Please do search. There are probably a hundred threads on this problem. DCCV = Dual Coolant Control Valve (aka heater valve). There is less than a 0.01% chance that your heater cores are clogged. So far there have been no reported confirmed cases of this. The DCCV is way more likely to clog than either of the cores. The most common cause of no-heat is trapped air in the cooling system. The most common cause of trapped air in the cooling system is degraded plastic cooling system parts. They all fail at about the same time.

Ok, I believe my thermostat is good as when I start the car the temp comes up to the center of the gauge and I am not having an issue with the car over heating. What all "plastic cooling system parts" are you talking about? Would this be like the blend door?

Ok, I believe my thermostat is good as when I start the car the temp comes up to the center of the gauge and I am not having an issue with the car over heating. What all "plastic cooling system parts" are you talking about? Would this be like the blend door? I really don't have a history on the car or what parts have been replaced or when

...What all "plastic cooling system parts" are you talking about? ...

Have you read this forum at all?
There is no temperature blend door. Even if there were, it wouldn't be related to the engine cooling system. Please do search. Main plastic parts for your gen I V8 (just assuming it is a V8, you never said) are - degas bottle, thermostat housing and fill cap, crossover tube, upper radiator hose, lower radiator hose, DCCV, radiator.

i have a 02 ls v8 with no heat at all did the self test on the datc and got a code 12 76 i looked it up and it said battery voltage out of range but it didnt list wat to do any help would be appreciated i changed thermostat flushed heater core and changed datc

My LS has the 6cyl engine I believe. I don't want to be buying a new dccv unless I know for sure that's what it is as the cheapest I found them for is $100 and thats if I order on line. Advance auto has one for $238

My LS has the 6cyl engine I believe. I don't want to be buying a new dccv unless I know for sure that's what it is as the cheapest I found them for is $100 and thats if I order on line. Advance auto has one for $238
Not trying to sound rude or mean but if your not even sure what size engine you have you need to do a lot better research on your car before you even try to replace any parts on it

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

I am so sorry I am an old man who use to be able to fix darn near anything on my cars because you could look at and identify anything while sitting in the engine compartment. I could see ALL the spark plugs, if there were 6 it was a 6 cyl if 8 then it was an 8 cyl. I could easily reach the oil filter, I could drain my tranny, change the filter and fill it back up. yes and could check the fluid level. I am assuming, based on the FI unit on top, 3 goin right 3 left that it is a 6 cyl. Auto makers use to put a decal under the hood identifing the engin size. Heck even my 95 Town car had one. I just don't want to binde putting $1000 into trying to fix my problem. I just spent 2 hours scrutinizing the OM trying to find this DATC self test and found NOTHING. I loved my Town car but it was too big for my wife so we got this LS. I do believe this will be my last Lincoln as trying to find how to fix this thing is impossible.

I am so sorry I am an old man who use to be able to fix darn near anything on my cars because you could look at and identify anything while sitting in the engine compartment. I could see ALL the spark plugs, if there were 6 it was a 6 cyl if 8 then it was an 8 cyl. I could easily reach the oil filter, I could drain my tranny, change the filter and fill it back up. yes and could check the fluid level. I am assuming, based on the FI unit on top, 3 goin right 3 left that it is a 6 cyl. Auto makers use to put a decal under the hood identifing the engin size. Heck even my 95 Town car had one. I just don't want to binde putting $1000 into trying to fix my problem. I just spent 2 hours scrutinizing the OM trying to find this DATC self test and found NOTHING. I loved my Town car but it was too big for my wife so we got this LS. I do believe this will be my last Lincoln as trying to find how to fix this thing is impossible.

Welcome to the world of modern cars. There will never be any diagnostic trees in any Owners Manual. The OM just tells the owner how things work. The last time my thermostat failed (open) the engine temp was just fine I just had no heat.

If you can see the coils on the driver's side (under the appearance cover) and the intake plenum lays over the coils on the passenger's side you have the V6 (honestly that's something that should be ascertained prior to purchase). 2001 V6 engine (disregard the bottom pic. I can't remove it!):

69347138.jpg

hqdefault.jpg

69347138.jpg

...I don't want to be buying a new dccv unless...

Okay, I have to assume that you can't even see any of my responses. This is my last attempt at it. Your DCCV is probably not the issue, your other plastic cooling system parts probably are.

No, I can see your responses, but trying to research is tough when you don't know what things are called or where they are located. On another simular post someone said something about a DATC self test and said there was a link to the OM and I could find out how to do this self test there. I use my vehicle for basic back and forth transportation. If I don't see puddles under it, if it seems to run ok when I take it for a test ride, and I can afford it, I buy it. I don't care if it has a 4, 6, or 8 cyl. I trust that somewhere on it it will say what size engine is in it. I appreciate any help I can get when something goes wrong. I can't afford to "try" a dozen things trying to find out what's wrong.

If I don't see puddles under it, if it seems to run ok when I take it for a test ride, and I can afford it, I buy it. I don't care if it has a 4, 6, or 8 cyl. I trust that somewhere on it it will say what size engine is in it...

Have I got a car to sell to you!!!!!

Seriously you need to do MUCH, MUCH more than a simple once-over. ESPECIALLY with a modern, totally computer controlled car. The electronics are most often the issue, not the mechanicals.

Macc, I can understand how its frustrating. I never did learn much how to repair cars, just watched the man who raised me maintain cars from the 60's and 70's. Here I am now starting to do some minor things to save money on my 2001. First, you should be able to tell the engine size by the plastic cover on the engine like the pics here, or if its V8 it says very prominently on the rear brake light 'LS V8'. I guess there is a small chance the V8 would have been removed, but then the vin run through CARFAX will solve that.

If you look through threads here, with the age of our cars you need to replace any and all plastic tubes in the system and the degas bottle. Any hoses that look sub standard too - but some hoses are half plastic half rubber those need to be new. Finally, and I bet what is likely the issue is your thermostat housing is likely cracked if its got any years on it. Fortunately that plastic one on our year can be replaced by a cheaper aluminum jaguar one.

There is a thread here showing pics on a total redo of a 2003 a guy did this year, and that can show you why this is so important as a first step to rule out all the other possibility before looking at more costly breakages that are less likely in heating.

Oh and btw, when I bought my car in march I didnt see any puddles either, but the cracked tstat went in 2 months (air bubbles formed).

So for a newbie like me to the LS that is....when should I change my coolant system? Did any of you do it beforehand as sort of a preventative maintenance or was it most likely after you either saw coolant on the ground or the car started overheating? I do remember seeing a thread just by exploring of a parts list that got pretty expensive for replacement and that was just parts alone......Ditto for labor if you took it to a mechanic.

Well thats all relative to the need and the budget. Since you are trying to resolve other issues, if the need hasnt arose I would say wait. Need is a drip on the ground every day, or an outright leak that puddles up. Of course an overheat would be too. You can inspect the system and if you see any tell tale signs (white ish dry spots) on engine or hoses you are looking at something soon. Both my failure points were minor and no prior notice, but thats because the car was garage kept so externally all is pristine. Once the plastic came out though the corrosion (plastic wear?) was obvious.

The main thing that they try to get across here is do it all. Piece meal it will be replace a failed piece every couple of months until it all is done anyway.

... Did any of you do it beforehand as sort of a preventative maintenance or was it most likely after you either saw coolant on the ground or the car started overheating? ...

Neither. There is a between. I replaced mine (both cars) when there was residue on some of the parts, but before there was any on the ground or any overheating. In the case of the radiators (and one of the DCCVs) it was when I smelled coolant after I parked. There was a little on the floor in those cases too.

So where can I obtain a Jaguar thermostat housing? and is there a part number/style/model? I decided to start with the thermostat first. also is there a list of all the plastic parts that need to be replaced due to degradation? also, is this degas bottle also known as the coolant recovery tank? Is there another name for the crossover tube? I can't find anything by that name on the auto parts sites

Can't answer that without knowing if it is a V6 (3.0L) or V8 (3.9L).

So where can I obtain a Jaguar thermostat housing? and is there a part number/style/model? I decided to start with the thermostat first. also is there a list of all the plastic parts that need to be replaced due to degradation? also, is this degas bottle also known as the coolant recovery tank? Is there another name for the crossover tube? I can't find anything by that name on the auto parts sites

I was out looking and it is indeed the 3.0L 6cyl.

IIRC it's only available for the 2000-2002 V8...

I was out looking and it is indeed the 3.0L 6cyl.

IIRC it's only available for the 2000-2002 V8...

Members online

Back