nitrous install

George Eisenhart

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
I completed the nitrous install on my gen 2. one detail has me stopped. The MSD box( window switch) provides a wire that goes to the tach wire. I don't know the color code or a good under hood location to pick up the tach wire.I know some LVC members have been there & done this. can anyone enlighten me? Thanks George

I asked the same question a couple of weeks ago and didn't get a response so I bought a manual on ebay for ten bucks. You can pick up the tach signal from the large plug by the brake master cylinder. I'll have to relook but I believe it was pin 16. Mine was red and white. The same color that goes to the COPS.

Thanks for the help.I had chased it to the location you mentioned.I ended up with a M.S.D. window switch but needed a msd tach control unit.MSD provided the elect. dia. and tech. help needed. George

Last edited:
Sorry, late response... You should be able to get it from the fuel injector wire. It then knows to multiply the reading according to the number of cylinders you have to get engine speed.

NOS has a nice cheap progressive controller which pulses the solenoids to ramp your shot up. Start at any % of full power, and ramp over the number of seconds you desire. Reduces the shock load on the driveline and makes sure your engine speed is sufficient to avoid the dangerous backfire. Also gets an electronic measurement from the throttle body (at least on my LS) so there's no mechanical switch to measure throttle input. It will even run a 2 stage nitrous system if you decide to get that insane.

thanks for the info. I have been learing alot about this system. I like the idea of reducing the shock load on the drive line. Ive been worring about the trans. what mods do you guys recomend to keep it from blowing.As allways thanks for your Imput. George

For the trans, you may need to boost line pressure/shift firmness via a tune. If it shifts somewhat firmly still then you should be fine with a medium shot, say 75, and the progressive controller. If you desire, you can actually set the window so the nitrous turns off prior to a shift, and re-ramps when your RPM's drop back down into the window going into the next gear. Never hurts to have a spare transmission around though that's built for the job (or at least the money for one set aside). Its a matter of time before it quits no matter how careful you are.

Make sure your car is delivering the fuel pressure. Can't stress that enough. Hopefully someone with experience with this on a Mark can chime in let us know what the stock fuel system is capable of supporting. A search might show that as well. How big do you plan to go?

nitrous use

I do have a spare trans. Its low mileage 65K . I would like to go thru it,and do any up grades to strenthen the weak spots. I have lots of trans. shops in my area but none the I would trust to know the up grades needed.Any LVC members in the midwest[I'm in Ohio]that any one could recommend? I don't see my going all out probably 75 hp max.with the nitrous boost.I am running hedders and a 4.10 gear.This is a street driver Gen.2.an occaisonal Drag Strip adventure to see how I compare to other LVC members. My other Gen. 2 is Bone stock. George

Last edited:
I'm running a bone stock trans with a 172000 miles and a 125 shot. No problems so far but I do have a tune with firmer shifts. I wouldn't worry about getting fancy with a 75 shot. Most say up to 125 to 150 shot is pretty safe. However I went ahead and installed a walboro 255 fuel pump for peace of mind and had my tuner pull a few degrees of timing. I don't think that will be needed for a 75 shot but its a cheap mod that can only help. I have my system on a micro switch and a window switch. The solenoids will not turn on unless I'm WOT and 3000+ RPMs. My car is set to shift and 6000 so the window switch turns off the solenoid at 5500 rpms. I wouldn't do a progressive controller on a 75 shot. I don't think that is enough to warrant the expense.

Oh and with 4.10s, do the forced lube mod to the tail shaft bushing on your trans.

Hey Rebel, I new someone would shed some light. I had a tuner who I new nothing about,review the tune,[lean/rich] and set the shift points when we put the hedders on. hes in detroit Im in Cleveland, As I drove home the shifts were soft in my view.I changed to the 4.10 and the soft shifiting is worse,To the point I haven't hit the nitrous yet believing the trans is at risk.I plan to take it to Alternitive Automotive [Liddo] jn detroit. I just don't have confidence in the work thats been done so far. Your Trans.is holding up fantastic. I've had to rebuild Trans. at 100k in my 1 ton gas/diesel pickups. I feel alot better hearing your experiance. Thanks for the advise it will be followed. George

One thing that I did do to the trans was flushed out the Dex III and filled it and the torque converter with Mercon V. I use a mail ordered tune from Mr Torrie R. McPhail <torrie@fastpartsnetwork.com> So far I've been happy with his work. I've had an LS, 2 Mustangs, and a Mark VIII tuned by him and never had a issue.

Rebel, I'll try him first. Liddo is good to my understanding But by the time I trailer it to detroit leave it then go back to get it Your guy would be much more cost efftive. Thanks for the heads up. George

Rebel, I hooked up with Torrie, He developed a tune for me. When I installed it I couldn't get it to take. He was very prompt to communicate and walk me thru the Install. I'm not the sharpest High tech guy. He was careful articulate and knowledgable. But most Important He stayed with me until all was well. the tune is working as planned. the shift points at WOT are at 6000 and positive. The Nitrous tune I haven't tried yet. Changing the trans fluid and checking line pressure B 4 the first Blast. Thanks for the recomendation I couldn't be happier. For members wanting a tune, Torrie McPhall is your guy E-Mail him @fastpartsnetwork.com

Members online

Back