Nitrogen in your Tires??

Wheels, Tires & Rims

  1. boosted475

    boosted475 New LVC Member

    Messages:
    4
    Likes Received:
    0
    Joined:
    Jul 7, 2009
    Location:
    san francisco, ca
    So I bought got a new set of tires the other day and the sales guy asked me if I wanted to pay an additional $20 to fill the tires with Nitrogen.

    He started explaining why I should do this but I just told him I'm not interested so I wouldn't have to listen to his speech or give him more money.

    Anyone ever heard of this? Is this some sorta scam to make more money?
     
  2. Aquabrit

    Aquabrit Dedicated LVC Member

    Messages:
    4,328
    Likes Received:
    6
    Joined:
    Mar 21, 2007
    Location:
    .
    LOL - I thought that too, at first. But yeah, it's genuine! Been offered it a few times now...
     
  3. k9t8m

    k9t8m Rollin' Twankies

    Messages:
    5,622
    Likes Received:
    119
    Joined:
    May 3, 2004
    Location:
    Peoria, L-inoise
    keep your money and just make sure to always keep an eye on the tire psi
     
  4. n8bachelor

    n8bachelor Dedicated LVC Member

    Messages:
    1,629
    Likes Received:
    21
    Joined:
    Dec 30, 2005
    Location:
    Bentonville, AR
    Nitrogen is the primary ingredient in the air we breathe, 78% in fact. Oxygen makes up almost 21%, Argon holds third with almost 1%, Carbon Dioxide makes up 0.03% and the rest of the components are measured in parts per million.

    So as you can see you are paying for that extra 22% of Nitrogen. The choice is yours, but honestly it will not make a performance difference on a passenger car.
     
  5. kustomizingkid

    kustomizingkid Dedicated LVC Member

    Messages:
    12,433
    Likes Received:
    13
    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2006
    Location:
    Twin Cities
    Waste of money...
     
  6. ground_zero298

    ground_zero298 Dedicated LVC Member

    Messages:
    1,960
    Likes Received:
    0
    Joined:
    May 5, 2007
    Location:
    Michigan
    LMFAO, thats what i told the moron at discount, you already put 80% nitrogen in my tires, why do I need the other 20%? He said we didn't put any nitrogen in your tires, we put air in them. I just walked away.
     
  7. boosted475

    boosted475 New LVC Member

    Messages:
    4
    Likes Received:
    0
    Joined:
    Jul 7, 2009
    Location:
    san francisco, ca
    haha glad I passed on it.. maybe I shoulda passed on the extended warranty too

    JK I didn't get the stupid extended warranty my tires will be way worn before the regular warranty expires lol
     
  8. boosted475

    boosted475 New LVC Member

    Messages:
    4
    Likes Received:
    0
    Joined:
    Jul 7, 2009
    Location:
    san francisco, ca
    LOL
     
  9. JAX.TRUX

    JAX.TRUX Well-Known LVC Member

    Messages:
    293
    Likes Received:
    1
    Joined:
    Feb 28, 2010
    Location:
    Southern Illinois
    Nitrogen in my tires

    With nitrogen tire inflation, improvements can be noted in a vehicle's handling, fuel efficiency and tire life through better tire pressure retention, improved fuel economy and cooler running tire temperatures. 18.000.000 of us are.
    Because of their large size, nitrogen molecules are the least permeable and stay in your tire longer.It's not about the nitrogen, It's about reducing oxygen, water vapor and other gases. By reducing the percentage of oxygen, water vapor and other gases in your tires from 22% to 7% or lower, your tires will maintain proper pressure longer than if you use “plain old air.” For example,with 95% nitrogen in your tires, they retain optimal pressure three to four times longer. Increased Safety – Under-inflated tires cause 90% of blowouts. Nitrogen provides more reliable pressure for reduced blowout potential. Numerous studies have proven that nitrogen in tires reduces the volume of gases that escape more quickly and cause damaging oxidation to the tire and rim. I run it in all my semis. All 142 of them - tires that is. :D
     
  10. mcaccamise

    mcaccamise Active LVC Member

    Messages:
    73
    Likes Received:
    0
    Joined:
    Feb 11, 2012
    Location:
    clermont
    nitrogen

    +1 i have been running nitrogen in my tires since new and havent lost air pressure yet over 10,000 miles it may sound like a waste of money when the air you fill them with is free but im all for it.
     

Share This Page