new wheel/tire recommendations

nastynaters

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
So I'm gonna need new summer tires as soon as spring rolls around, and ive convinced myself to spend the extra money on new wheels/rims as well. I've been looking around quite a bit, and I think I've settled on the niche brand "milan" wheels in 19x8.5. They have a solid bright silver color, as well as a polished almost chrome finish. I think I like the silver, but was just wondering what some of your opinions are. I'm not completely decided on them but I really think I'd like the look on my 01 silver frost ls.
So if anyone has any reccomendations, comments or experience with this particular brand or model, I'd like to hear it. Also looking for some "decent" and fairly inexpensive tires to have mounted. Only problem is the site online with the best wheel set prices seem to only have very cheap tires, or very expensive ones. By the way, this is my first attempt at putting aftermarket wheels on any car, so I don't know much.
I've got my set of oem 17" silver 5 spokes that I will probably turn into my winter wheel setup, and sell of my current 16" winter wheels, because those blizzaks on them are about shot also.

Thanks in advance
Nate

Milan_Silver_A700.jpg
NICHE_Milan_PVD_A1_700.jpg

Milan_Silver_A700.jpg

NICHE_Milan_PVD_A1_700.jpg

The Continentals I have on mine are decent for midrange tires. They are an all season, stick we and handle rain and snow pretty good. Obviously they aren't going to be as good as snow tires in snow, but then there's little call for actual snow tires in Oklahoma.

The Hankook Ventus I had before started OK but didn't last very long and went to crap very fast. They were practically brand new on the car when I bought it and I think I got about 20K out of them before they started howling. Rode like crap too compared to the Contis, and the handling wasn't any better.

I have a set of OZ Ultraleggeras for sale. I can paint them bright silver if you like, or have them powdercoated. PM me if you are interested.

IMG_7898.jpg

IMG_8055.jpg

Hmm. Those 18" or 19"? I really prefer the 5 spoke look but still open to suggestions

Similar to Milan's: Mach M5. There's a 7- and 10- spoke version called the M7 and M10.

I've been eyeing Niche Targas myself, which are similar to Jaguar Sent as I think, but in 18". Niche makes wheels that are popular in the luxury segment. Someone here has Targas (or had).

Yea they've got a lot nice looking wheels. Heard for the money they are very decent quality also. I'll check those out though, thanks.
I believe the smallest size I saw was 19" for the niche. Don't want my car to ride too ****ty, so was also considering 18s if I find something I really like

Ah, I see the lack of an 18" Milan on CariD. Only lists 19"x8.5 for the LS. There's the Niche Apex which offers a little more style for $200/each as an 18"x8 rim.

As far as color goes, I'd get silver. If I want black later, plastidip with glossifier is decent enough for wheels. They make silver too, but I feel like it's easier to make black look nice.

Targa<3

7DA0309D-337D-49FA-89D2-E6E326BE8059_zpsfxvsoxu9.jpg~original

I'll definately do some more looking around before I spend anything. Nice suggestions though, all look real nice. Been trying to find a site where I can view the wheels on my car, but it sees the LS is a little tricky to find, or I just don't know where to look..

Oh..and anyone's invited to do a photoshop with those milans...just sayin

And I'd like to hear anyone's opinions on how you'd think these would look on a silver ls. Like I said, have never bought aftermarket wheels before, and haven't seen an ls with these on yet...though I remember someone on here referring to them

Now you've got me considering them. Funny though, that page and the next 2 have jmtiseo's Targas

I have a set of 5 spoke Jag "Custom" wheels off an XJ8, 19x8.5 and they look like the car came from the factory with them (which I love). Search for HDDave, he has the same wheels but PVD (chrome-like) and his car is lowered. I would take some pics of my car now that I have the Lincoln center caps on but it's -10*F right now so it may be a while till the ol' LS gets all shined up again.

Those do look nice..how much you looking to get for them? And yea try n get some pics, up close as well

Or are you not selling them..lol didn't know how to take your post. Like em alot though. Look almost identical to my stock 17" sport 5 spokes, but a little bigger of course

Whoops, sorry I just realized that sounded like I was selling them...I'm not :) But just wanted to give you another idea for wheels. Sorry for the confusion

It's all good. I'd obviously be open to spending less for a set..but I'm really stuck on those milans. Does anyone have tire reccomendations for a 19x8.5 size wheel? I think I should really get the package deal with wheels and tires cuz it would cost me less altogether. Only problem is this limits my options. Btw, I'm looking at carid.com, which seems like the best price with tires mounted already. But unless I want some cheapo tires, I'm looking at another 500 even with the package deal. Just looking for some advice for anyone who's taken this route before, or if you know of any better deals out there. Thanks again.

I dig those Milans for sure. As far as tire choices go, I have a 245/40/19 on mine right now. Conti DWS tires which I LOVE. They have been great in the snow we've had this year and ride nicely. As far as where to look, I was similar to you not wanting to drop another $800-1000 for tires on top of what I spent for wheels (needed a good set of all-season tires...cheap summer tires can be had for a lot less). I ended up buying a gently used pair of Ebay...when I say gentle, tread depth was same as new. If you keep your eyes open for a deal and know what size tire you want, you can find a good priced set like that.

Last edited:
Appreciate the suggestions. I am going to stick with separate wheel/tire combos for summer and winter though. So all I'm looking for atm is the summer package. I like being able to just switch the whole wheel out when the seasons change, and keep my new rims nice and clean away from the salt

Ok, now I'm torn between the milans and the apex, and 18" or 19". I'm sure the decision would be much simpler if I could see each on the car, but that's not possible. So...any of you have opinions on this, I'd like to hear it. Ride difference between the 2 sizes? I still think I like the clean look of the milans more, but have no idea which size to choose..thanks for any input.

Niche Apex
niche_apex_slvr_2_1.jpg

niche_apex_slvr_2_1.jpg

Milan_Silver_A700.jpg

A few of us have other brand OEM wheels with adapters. Just a thought. I ran 19s with as much sidewall meat as I could.
LSedit_zps545439c2.jpg

Looking for a tire recommendation for my wife's LS Sport.

Presently, I have snows on my original LS rims (getting old, but maybe one more year left), and I use my original retro Bird tires/rims for a summer ride. They need to be replaced.

Our annual mileage is very low. And, since we have an Explorer for winter driving, assuming we even leave the house in bad weather, I'm thinking about just getting all weather as a year round tire package for the LS. (We live in NJ suburbia, Street plowing is very good.)

This is our running around town car, so super expensive, super handling tires are not something we really need. Comfortable ride and decent wear are priorities. Car only has 53,000 miles.

Suggestions/recommendations?

Thanks

I dig those Milans for sure. As far as tire choices go, I have a 245/40/19 on mine right now. Conti DWS tires which I LOVE. They have been great in the snow we've had this year and ride nicely. As far as where to look, I was similar to you not wanting to drop another $800-1000 for tires on top of what I spent for wheels (needed a good set of all-season tires...cheap summer tires can be had for a lot less). I ended up buying a gently used pair of Ebay...when I say gentle, tread depth was same as new. If you keep your eyes open for a deal and know what size tire you want, you can find a good priced set like that.

X2 on those Continentals. I'm running the same ones (only stock size) and they are a good all around tire. The sidewalls are a little soft for high performance driving, and I can feel them roll on the sidewalls a bit if I push it too much, but I mainly bought them for a softer ride which they do have. Quiet, comfortable, and they did a good job in the half a foot of snow we had here in Tulsa this year as well as in some of the heavier rain storms we've had. I'd go with something else if I wanted a high performance handling tire but as a good all rounder they're great.

I don't remember exactly but I think they were in the hundred per tire range, and they are wear rated 400 or better so they'll last a while.

Members online

No members online now.
Back