New to me 2006 LS Sport

inurok

LVC Member
Reaction score
Runs pretty well for having 175K miles

So far issues I have are

Drivers Mirror and keypad Dead
AC sometimes blows warm out one side with burning oil smell thru vents.
Engine clatter on cold for like 2 seconds
Oil leak near front of the engine.
CEL says bad driver side cat.

Pretty peppy car but I expected a tight feeling car. Could be due to the front end rattle I hear over rough roads

I should have dome my research but I will work with it.

Btw is it normal to get like 16.7mpg ?

Thanks

20161001_170007_zpsogit6okh.jpg

20161001_165951_zpsnigfxah9.jpg

the clunking in the front probably means it needs a full suspension overhaul, and that's
for certain, if it has factory parts on it. as far as the burning oil smell, check around the
valve covers, and the oil pan to see if there are any obvious leaks. engine clatter could
be low on oil, bad gas, or timing chain tensioners...

yes, you should have done your research lol

good luck ! don't give up on the car. they are fantastic, sexy machines !

Depends on what you can do,or want to do, but you might sell that one and look for one in better shape. OR you can burn a lot of money on that one.
If you can recover your cost,you might be able to get on Craigslist like I did and find a better one. Just trying to save you a LOT of labor and costs. don-ohio :)^)

P.S.: If you're gonna keep it, you might want to go 60-65% antifreeze and loosen your degas cap before your plastic parts burst(this has saved me a bundle over many years). Don't do this if you're in the high mountains though.

Dealer told me the control arm bushings are shot but the parts are cheap to fix but not dangerous? Is 175000 miles pushing things for the 3.9 v8? I'm just don't have the money right now to have everything fixed. btw the sound on startup is the timing chain tensioners from all the info I just looked up. Its just does it once after sitting. Thx

175k miles on the stock parts is more than pushing it. the labor is not that hard to do on these
cars, but it does get expensive once your replacing all of the suspension, cooling system, etc...

The clatter may not be the timing chain, but a lot of the times it's the belt tensioner. Just have someone crank it while you stand there and watch it during cold start.
But the thing is gonna be a money pit. don-ohio :)^)

I ran the diagnostics for the climate control since I sometimes have low or half vent ac.

Codes were

27 98 dccv short to ground
12 42 Air Inlet Door Actuator Circuit Failure
12 62 Defrost Door Actuator Circuit Failure

I did a search but I don't know what to do. I got the car as is so money pit or not I'm stuck with it. My ac works fine most of the time so should I just leave it be. thx

Do you WANT to have to replace all the plastic cooling parts RIGHT AWAY? They'll start failing POSSIBLY, unless you remove the pressure on the system and run a 60-65% fresh antifreeze solution.
Old coolant can get to be acidic, which is bad. On a trip with no city driving, and not goosing the gas, you should get at least 23 mpgs,average. don-ohio :)^)

Members online

No members online now.
Back