1. SSmith440

SSmith440 LVC Member

Hello all; I have obtained my first Cadillac. It is a 1992 Cadillac Brougham Light Blue ext. on Blue Leather int. Very low miles garage kept 9,082 to be exact. Mechanically the car is perfect. It does however, need an A/C recharge. I do not know if R12 simply goes 'bad or away' after nearly 24 years and next to zero use of if I have a leak at an o-ring or another area at any rate the A/C blows a nice room temperature blah. It does cycle on and off as it should. It is an R12 system so I am planning on sticking with R12 if at all possible and not converting to R134a unless the law compels me to as I have yet to be in a large car that is an R134a set-up that cools worth a darn. I am also bemused that GM only installed a single exhaust system on these. I feel it should be at least equal to a late model Town Car - Full Duals with resonators. Thanks for listening or reading. Scott
    SSmith440@hotmail.com

2. SSmith440

SSmith440 LVC Member

UPDATE: I just checked and the A/C system does indeed blow cool just barely cool. The lines exiting the A/C compressor are warm to the touch and the line entering the evaporator case is cool to the tough but just barely cool. Since the clutch cycles on and off I think I have no leak. I also recalled having a can of R12 somewhere in my garage which I did find. It is a 14oz. can of "Frosty 12" I think if I can locate some one to add it or learn how to do it my self so long as I do not encroach on any over-fill issues I may be in good shape. I also noticed the CD Player does not accept a CD. It makes a clicking noise. Advice anyone? Thanks, Scott
    SSmith440@hotmail.com

3. krfworcester@aol.com

krfworcester@aol.com LVC Member

After 24 years of basically sitting.. I would have all the fluids completely gone through.. pay to have the AC system overhauled correctly don't just add a can.... put new belts and hoses... and look online for a new radio... or have yours repaired by a professional.. My best advice to you... don't let a back yard mechanic do anything other than exhaustion brake work... if you need an oil change.. go to a oil changing business.... transmission flush... do the same.. AC etc.. or you'll end up with a hacked up Electrical mess.

4. krfworcester@aol.com

krfworcester@aol.com LVC Member

And a car or the vintage with such low mileage... would't use as an everyday driver... if your a collector then you know the drill... if you inherited it... I would just have it detailed and sell to one for big bucks...

5. SSmith440

SSmith440 LVC Member

PC040274.jpg PC040264.jpg PC040265.jpg Hello; thanks for the replies. The original tires have been replaced as has the serpentine belt. I have done exactly 2 things with the car: 1) I had the windows tinted (I can't tolerate bright lights) and 2) The paint/finish buffed. I have not driven the car in the wet - which is near impossible in my neck of the woods. When the temps get about 10 degrees warmer - maybe later this month I will add the one can of R12 that I have. If that does not satisfy me I will have it professionally evacuated and recharged and perhaps have the other fluids checked and addressed. I have not even ventured out into the garage to touch the car since the lame *ss heat system in my garage has puked. All for now, Scott

PC040274.jpg

PC040264.jpg

PC040265.jpg

6. eots44

eots44 Dedicated LVC Member

Awesome car! :D

7. Mulder

Mulder Active LVC Member

Holy cow! What a car! Congratulations!:cool: